[ADVERTORIAL] Scuba Diving Hua Hin

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
gotosteve
Amateur
Amateur

Re: [ADVERTORIAL] Scuba Diving Hua Hin

Post by gotosteve »

Woke around midnight to the worst windy storm I have seen since moving down here.

Pleased not to be diving this morning.
mchkin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mchkin »

Steve, sorry it took so long to reply. .... A refresher cource well it has been along time since I used scuba, or blew any bubbles, But ..... I'm a commercial diver. Spent weeks in decom chambers... but hey thanks huh :)
Just got a bad itch going and hope to blow a few bubbles again..
Mike
mchkin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mchkin »

Oh by the way, when were you in Pattaya? I was stationed in Sattahip in 1967 - 70. went to my 1st UDT school in Pattaya just as the astronauts were 1st landing on the moon....
Mike
gotosteve
Amateur
Amateur

Post by gotosteve »

I have been in Thailand over 16 years, but first came back in 1984...an excellent 2 weeks holiday in Pattaya. Back in those days it was 55 baht to a UK pound and a beer was 25 baht in a bar...happy days.

Let me know if you fancy blowing some bubbles.
gotosteve
Amateur
Amateur

Post by gotosteve »

Anyone interested...

The shop in Hua Hin is now almost ready to open. We just need some more signage and a bit of stock.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Sea Snakes...
:shock:

Wiki

"Among this group are species with some of the most potent venoms of all snakes. Some have gentle dispositions and bite only when provoked, but others are much more aggressive."

I would love to attend but can't on account of the heebie-jeebies.

Good luck all the same.

:cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Sea snakes very seldom bite humans, their jaws are not large enough. Never seen an aggressive sea snake in nearly 20 years of diving.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

buksida wrote:Sea snakes very seldom bite humans, their jaws are not large enough. Never seen an aggressive sea snake in nearly 20 years of diving.
Agree. Seen sea snakes in a few different areas around the world and they always were swimming away and couldn't be bothered
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

^

Somewhat comforting to know. Have never scuba dived but would love to give it a go. If I ever do 'man up' per se - this new place 'Scuba Diving Hua Hin' with collection from Hua Hin will be my best bet.

Just freaked me out to hear that I could be swimming with the most poisonous snake in the world (depending on the type of sea snake it is, of course). I had two pet snakes before: a Royal python and a Burmese python. They were neither venomous nor wild, though. They would bathe in an inch of lukewarm water in the family bath to help with the shedding process. Mouse fed (dead mice to stop aggression in them) every few weeks, and handled most days. In short - I have no problem with the 'house trained' snake. The Burmese python would have grown into a beast (4-5 meters) if not for an infection resulting in an early grave. Not sure what my Dad was thinking letting me have them...

...I was 11.

I may, in the near future, give this place a go and enjoy a dip with some sea snakes now that I know they are just going to swim away from me... *cue sod's law*

:cheers:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I dove on a submerged reef in the middle of the Coral Sea that was home to hundreds (if not thousands) of sea snakes. The boat captain took people to that location specifically for that reason. I did several dives with the snakes. The water was crystal clear and you could stop at any point during the dive, look around and see one or more snakes. This was a very remote site not frequented by other divers so the snakes were curious. This would have freaked me out if the dive-master had not given a thorough briefing of what to expect before we went in. These snakes would actually "chase" you or come up to "sniff" or inspect you and your gear closely. The only time I felt in danger was when one wrapped itself loosely around my leg and my dive buddy freaked, grabbed it by the tail, and pulled it off. Though that was done with good intentions, that act could have gotten me or her bitten and she got a stern reprimand when we got back on the boat! All in all I found them curious but docile.

Some shots I took...
Sea Snake.jpg
Sea Snake.jpg (223.74 KiB) Viewed 832 times
Sea Snake Chasing Me.jpg
Sea Snake Chasing Me.jpg (237.86 KiB) Viewed 832 times
snake going up for air.jpg
Sea Snakes.jpg
Sea Snakes.jpg (246.3 KiB) Viewed 832 times
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
gotosteve
Amateur
Amateur

Post by gotosteve »

Well, had a busy couple of weeks diving and getting the shop open. Just off Soi 57 Hua Hin.

As for sea snake sightings - we saw one last week at around 10 metres. It was just messing around looking for food in the coral reef. We hung out with it for around 5 minutes before leaving it to continue our dive around the reef. We also saw Octopus, Barracudas, Cuttle Fish, Box Fish, Crabs galore, Turtles, Blue Spotted Rays plus lots of other cool stuff.

Beautiful creatures and not dangerous due to their very calm disposition.

Please come and book some diving or a course and enjoy all the cool stuff we see on our dive days.
gotosteve
Amateur
Amateur

Post by gotosteve »

/Users/stevethompson/Desktop/hua hin divers photos/hua hin divers shop.jpg

Our new shop.