Songkran in Hua Hin 2016

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Harry Palmer
Rookie
Rookie

Songkran in Hua Hin 2016

Post by Harry Palmer »

Hi

I realise is around April 14th, but does anyone know which days am I going to get soaked. Don't mind at all just want to be prepared.

83 days not counting.
Nothappyjan

Re: Sonkran in Hua Hin 2016

Post by Nothappyjan »

Songkran runs from 13 to 15 April. Do what most farangs do and stay inside if you do not want to get covered in flour and squirted with water. They usually cease at sunset. However, the Thais love the day and have great fun armed with giant water pistols. By the 15th most have run out of puff.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nothappyjan wrote:By the 15th most have run out of puff.
You mean most of the Super Soakers have gone to Super Soaker heaven by the 15th :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

Didn't notice a full on downpour like you get in Pattaya (thankfully) and thought it was only one official day of mayhem on 13th in HH (I know the bar area is not operating under official rules). Holiday period is of course 13-15.

Still, I will be flying to a drier destination this Songkran.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

That means it starts about 10 pm on the 12 th on Binta! After doing it every year for the last 15 odd years that is all I want.... A couple of hours on Binta then hide for the rest and keep safe.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Obviously the Songkran team at Nong Plub aren't letting the grass grow under their feet, and have already published their Songkran programme, which will run from 10 to 16 April. Does this mark an extension of Songkran festivities in this area?
Nong_Plub_Songkran.jpg
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:lach: I know it's not Apr 1st until tomorrow, but I've just seen on Channel 3 news that because of the water shortage, revelers will be restricted to using one of these:
sprayer.jpg
sprayer.jpg (4.22 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
I wonder what the shops are going to do with their massive stocks of Super Soakers :D

On a more serious note for anybody thinking of taking their truck out, with a big barrel of water in the back during Songkran, the news also said drivers will have their licence taken off them, and their truck impounded.

:idea: Does this mean the BIB will have to WORK this Songkran?

Thoughts..... Thailand being Thailand, if they are serious about this, they will have to get the army on the streets as well enforcing some sort of martial law. They say these things (not as severe) every year, but they are ignored, no action is taken, everybody has a great time and life goes on for most.

Points 48; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Well, they've just given the Army powers of arrest, seizure and the right to enter premises without a warrant so maybe they're gearing up for Songkran already? Hide your power pistols!!
(Actually, there is a list of crimes and suspected crimes when the Army can use these new powers and I didn't notice Songkran among them).
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

As previously stated by NOKYAI..most of H.H. will be dry on the 12th..Except the western end of Bintabaat that now seems to always spurt their water a bit prematurely on the evening of the 12th. :naughty:
Now many folk like Hua Hin at Songkran time due to the fact that by lunchtime on the 14th the water-fighting has stopped & the place is looking dry again.
My personal therory on this is the fact that H.H. is run by Thai-Chinese..& they want their shops & businesses open again asap after the 13th..Money, money, money.
Also bear in mind that Cha Am will be throwing/spraying water for a week after the 13th..(well, maybe not this year, but each year in the past Songkran seems to have lingered longer there)
:cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I thought I'd read read that 5 Street were starting up their Foam Party on the 12th. OK, not Binthabat, but close enough for you guys in Binthabat to get wet in the minor skirmishes :D .

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Re: Songkran in Hua Hin 2016

Post by Big Boy »

Here you go, I knew I wasn't imagining it.
foam.jpg
It's arguably the best Songkran gig in town - if you like that sort of thing of course.

Points 48; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Alcohol banned.
Water guns banned.
Backpacks banned.
3 days Songkran reduced to 2 days Noon until 9pm.

Good luck on enforcing these rules in BKK

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/157699
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

April 1st? Unfortunately, this story has been about a couple of days - released in Thai Time?

Many a true word spoken in jest. With the water situation as it is, I don't see how they can throw so much away.

Points 48; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It does seem laughable and a classic April 1st joke but I think this clown actually did state these things at a press conference. It's got wide coverage.

I thought that with a name like Wallop, it had to be a joke but he's real.

The thing is that these people actually believe they are giving sensible advice!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Another event has come to our attention. The regular market Village Foam Party, which commences at 13:00hrs on 13 Apr'.
Jump.jpg
Jump.jpg (39.9 KiB) Viewed 1708 times

Points 48; Position 18