World Milk Day 2016, Pranburi

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Big Boy

World Milk Day 2016, Pranburi

Post by Big Boy »

When researching this, I discovered it was a UN initiative, surprisingly aimed at the milk industry.

Digging a little further, I see The Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) encourages the Thai public to consume more milk on the occasion of the Wold Milk Day, as current data shows that Thai youths consume 4-7 times less milk than the global average.

It is believed that drinking more milk will increase the size of the Thai nation upwards (world 7-11 day seems to be successfully helping the girth :D ).

I can relate to this. Thinking back over 20 years ago, it was nigh on impossible to obtain milk for my son to drink whilst holidaying here. He used to drink soya milk as a substitute.
milk.jpg
milk.jpg (65.7 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: World Milk Day 2016, Pranburi

Post by Nereus »

As this subject is about the world, the following makes for some interesting reading. I grew up on a dairy farm in WA, and my mate is still in the industry. In recent years it has been a battle to survive.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/count ... cess-milk/
WA dairy farmers coming out of supply contracts with a major processor are being told no one wants their milk, even at a rock bottom price.
Industry experts said the situation was unprecedented in WA and warned that the farmers were in a far worse position than their counterparts in Victoria hit by falling prices.
Brownes Dairy has told at least four farmers, who in total produce about 10 million litres a year, that it will not pick up their milk after September.
WA’s two other major processors, Parmalat-owned Harvey Fresh and Lion, have said they do not want the milk either.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/national ... rmers.html
Milk price cuts hurting dairy farmers
Frustrated Victorian farmers struggling to cope with unexpected milk price cuts have called on shoppers to steer clear of homebrand varieties as they move to drastically cut cattle in a bid to survive.Australia's biggest dairy co-operative Murray Goulburn slashed the price it pays farmers for milk solids from $5.60 a kilogram to between $4.75 and $5 a kilogram and issued a profit downgrade, leaving farmers facing huge bills.It's a move its major competitor Fonterra mirrored soon after.

They blame a slump in global prices - down about 60 per cent since early 2014 - for their decision.Gippsland farmer and Fonterra milk supplier Ron Paynter said it was one of the worst times he had seen in his 20 years in the industry. -
Not sure what the farm gate price is here in Thailand, but I believe it is around 50 cents / liter equivalent. (exchange rate around 26 baht to the AUD.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

The problem for the oz farmers is, coles and woollies the two biggest supermarkets are selling milk for less than they pay for it. It draws customers into the stores and they make money on other grocery items. Therefore the other retailers don't want to buy from the dairy farmers, they can literally buy it straight from coles /woollies cheaper. There is no law in place that says some one has to sell a product for more than they purchased it for which is killing the dairy farmers.
A similar thing happened to Panasonic ten years ago with certain big retailers buying items and selling them cheaper to get customers in the store...its also illegal for the wholesaler to refuse to sell to retailer so not much can be done
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I believe, like many Asian countries, Thailand has a high percentage of lactose intolerance. Drinking more milk is therefore not a good idea for many adults.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I assume the aim is to get the kids drinking it while they're still growing.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Probably right. Lactose Intolerance occurs in adults. I think I read somewhere that well over 50% of Thai adults are intolerant. ---- to lactose I mean!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

The big issue in Thailand is Thais will not drink milk unless sweetened with sugar. Thais just cannot do without sugar, it is even used as a condiment along with salt, pepper, chili etc.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

HHTel wrote:I believe, like many Asian countries, Thailand has a high percentage of lactose intolerance. Drinking more milk is therefore not a good idea for many adults.
There is a product that originated commercially in New Zealand and is now being marketed in Australia,the U.K. and now into other markets. It is A2 milk, which is comes from cows that produce the A2 beta casein protein, rather than the A1 protein found in the most modern dairy herds.
There has been ongoing arguments regarding the possible misdiagnosis of lactose intolerance, where
it may in fact be a case of allergy to the A1 beta casein protein.

https://a2milk.com.au/
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

StevePIraq wrote:The big issue in Thailand is Thais will not drink milk unless sweetened with sugar. Thais just cannot do without sugar, it is even used as a condiment along with salt, pepper, chili etc.
And leads to increased diabetes in Thailand. A disease which is rising every year here and affects around 10% of the population in later life.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

wan nom, hmmm, I quite like the idea. :oops: :D
gerryha

Post by gerryha »

As stated by others, many Asians are lactose intollerant and simply cannot drink milk. My wife who is Chinese is the same. However they can take or drink yoghurt and milk as the bacteria that stops them processing the lactose is broken down. Sugar also does this. There really is no point going on about the Thai love of sugar many of them can no more drink fresh milk than someone with a nut allergy can eat a snickers bar.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I drink a lot of milk for breakfast and fruit and cookies whilst on the road around Thailand. Just as a quick refuelling stop. I can't bring myself to eat those hot dog sausages that have been festering in the cabinets for how long. Been ill once whilst on the road and find comfort in what I regard as safe foods whilst travelling.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.