Yoga for a beginner

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Bilbo52

Yoga for a beginner

Post by Bilbo52 »

Folks,

I am interested in getting into Yoga. I am an absolute beginner and in my 50s. Any tips on good classes, location, times and cost? Oh and also what is involved. I want to get a bit more flexible and a little fitter.

Thanks in advance.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Yoga for a beginner

Post by handdrummer »

there is a certified yoga instructor on smorprong road about 1 1/2 kilometers from canal road. her studio is on the left hand side just before you get to tropical hill 1. there are signs out front.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Hey Bilbo,

I got the urge at 39 to start yoga and it was the best thing i ever did...the worst thing was to stop almost 18 months ago :(. Check out a Yoga teacher called Tik Tik on facebook, she is an amazing lady and not just a Yoga teacher but a life coach to...her first advice to me was "can you walk slowly please?".

Its the best thing you will ever do for yourself :). The best thing i will ever do myself is to get back on the mat in the New Year!

If have a couple of new unused mats at home if you want one.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

JW wrote:Hey Bilbo,

I got the urge at 39 to start yoga and it was the best thing i ever did...the worst thing was to stop almost 18 months ago :(. Check out a Yoga teacher called Tik Tik on facebook, she is an amazing lady and not just a Yoga teacher but a life coach to...her first advice to me was "can you walk slowly please?".

Its the best thing you will ever do for yourself :). The best thing i will ever do myself is to get back on the mat in the New Year!

If have a couple of new unused mats at home if you want one.
Dubbelpost sorry

If you don't mind I'm asking,why did you have to stop Johnny,was it a injury ,work or something else ?
I know it's not my buisness just courius,hope your ok and all is well.

:cheers: :cheers:
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Hi Bilbo,

No worries, I made a bad decision, my family circumstances changed, I had opened a new business and felt it was wrong to carry on (I did 3 1 hr private lessons a week), also at the same time i pretty much stopped playing golf! I look back on the time as a new life experience - i experienced living with a great woman and her 6 year old daughter, who I treat like my own, it ended up not working out.
Onwards and upwards as they say..but new year I will be back to the mat :). If you want to chat about the yoga thng anytime let me know, happy to meet and give u the low down.
Cheers,

JW
Bilbo52

Post by Bilbo52 »

Thanks for the advice guys.

JW, it was bdsk1960 who asked the question about why you had to stop yoga. However, once I get back to HH tomorrow following a few days away I will follow up on the tips posted and may very well message you about your teacher once I have done a little more research. I feel that I need to do something positive for my body rather than the usual bodily abuse that seems to occur now with increasing frequency.

Thanks again.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Hi Jw good to hear your ok and bad decisions is made by us all, and as long as you can change them ,no harm done,like you say onwards and upwards is the thing to do.good luck forwards and se you around.

:cheers: :cheers:
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

All good now and looking forward to getting back to the mat!