Songkran 2017

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
PeteC

Re: Songkran 2017

Post by PeteC »

Beer splashing and water drinking? :shock: :duck:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

The rumor tonight is songkran as normal except for an early start because of an enforced midnight finish.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I hope you're right Steve. Songkran is one of the big draws for tourism at the end of high season. IMHO it lets the bars finish the season on a high. If they mess around with it too much, regulars will not come back.

I've got a couple of friends in town who have come specifically for Songkran. One of them was told when he checked into his hotel yesterday that they hope he's not here for Songkran, because he'll be disappointed. Then he went to pick up a motorcycle and was told exactly the same thing. Yes, both groups of friends are here for the Songkran fun.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Pattaya dates are reported to be the 11th thru the 19th, with the 19th being the biggest water throwing day. Have them take the ferry over as assuredly even if toned down, the Pattaya festivities should be exciting in comparison to HH. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, there are plenty of alternatives, but people come to Hua Hin because it's usually the evening of the 12th and day of the 13th. I know for me personally that is enough. I enjoy it, but hate the walk home, soaking wet, afterwards.

IMHO Hua Hin (normally) has it about right. I don't want a week of leaving home and being soaked to the skin before I get to the end of my road.

Points 41; Position 18
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: RE: Re: Songkran 2017

Post by huahin4ever »

Big Boy wrote:Yes, there are plenty of alternatives, but people come to Hua Hin because it's usually the evening of the 12th and day of the 13th. I know for me personally that is enough. I enjoy it, but hate the walk home, soaking wet, afterwards.

IMHO Hua Hin (normally) has it about right. I don't want a week of leaving home and being soaked to the skin before I get to the end of my road.
Spot on BB.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

YNWA
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's the official for the major areas over here in case any reader interested:

Nakula (north of Pattaya): 18th

Pattaya: 19th

Jomtien: 20th
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks for that Pete. One of my friends was planning to travel to Pattaya on the 19th, believing the madness would have finished.

Friends out in Binthabat last night are reporting a lot of bars were already closed for Songkran. Their words were, "A real ghost town, never seen it like that before."

It would be interesting to hear if others found the same. I only venture into that area after dark at Songkran. I guess a lot of money will be lost if true :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Here it is - issued by the Tourist Police 15 minutes ago:
songkran.jpg

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There's also this (translation) issued by the real police:

It is time to spray water to warm up Songkran. If anyone does not want to go far. It is recommended to go to Hua Hin, not far from Bangkok. I will drive the car back to the evening, but if I do not drunk if I drunk. Come see better in Prachuap Khiri Khan, where to check out to splash water.

◈ 7 - 17 April 60 bathing Buddha image for the prosperity. Waterfront Park Wanana Hua Hin

◈ April 12, 60 "tradition" ghosts "at the junction of five dogs on the road at Sema Kham.

◈ April 13, 60 'BLUPORT SUMMER SONGKARN FESTIVAL' at the BlueBlue Hua Hin Trade Center, with live performances from kangaroos masks, "Chok Chok Productions", live in the middle of the river with beautiful DJs and models.

◈ April 13-16, 2560 "Happy, Happy, ... Songkran Festival 2560" at Cicada Market Hua Hin

◈ April 13, 2560. "The head of the jungle fun .. foam rock party" at the Market Village Hua Hin.

◈ April 13, 2017 "Songkran Festival of the Year 2560" at the park.

◈ April 15, 2560 "Pleased Songkran New Throne at Plearnwan" (April 10-17, 2560)

◈ 13-17 April 2560 "Happy Songkran floating market three thousand names" at Hua Hin Floating Market three thousand three thousand.

◈ April 12, 2560 "Songkran Hua Hin fun Please join the 1st jubilee "at Dechanuchit Road.

http://www.amarintv.com/lifestyle-updat ... uap/26245/

Points 41; Position 18
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

According to posts on Facebook the madness has begun. I just saw pictures from the area around London Bar. Good luck and stay wet (dry) fellow forum members.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

YNWA
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It's going to be hard work transforming MV for the foam party tomorrow. The 'food festival' is still in full swing along with the 'fairground attractions'.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, but I saw the containers of foam being delivered earlier, and workmen are working to transform the area.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

5 Street Party is buzzing (sorry about sound)

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've looked closely at the above video, and several others. Does not seem to be any water flying, or tools to deliver water by. Also seems to be a heavy police presence. No water splashing = beer available. :D

Points 41; Position 18