Songkran 2017

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
PeteC

Songkran 2017

Post by PeteC »

Given the position they're taking concerning festivities this year in Bangkok, I would imagine most other cities will follow their lead and tone down or cancel any of the water throwing activities. Pete :cheers:

No Songkran festivities on Khao San Road this year

There will be no dancing and music or any kind of festive activity during Songkran celebrations on the popular Khao San Road this year, Phra Nakhon district chief Supakrit Boonkhan said on Saturday.

He said only traditional water splashing and merit-making as well as a Buddha image procession will be allowed this year, as the country is still in the mourning period following the passing of King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

He said operators of entertainment venues have been informed of the policy.

Songkran revellers will not be allowed to use powder and water guns, and they will have to cover their body properly.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/br ... s/30310248
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Songkran 2017

Post by HHTel »

The government led us to believe that 'normal service is to be resumed' after 100 days! I know the official mourning is 1 year but the first 100 days is very significant.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Another nail in the tourism coffin. :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I would give it some time as the man who made this announcement isn't very high in the pecking order. I would expect a ruling like this would come from the Generals or Cabinet, not some district chief. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

If usual songran is canceled due to mourning the junta fears a revolution. So it will be 50/50..TIT
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:16 pm Another nail in the tourism coffin. :?
Compensation is coming by the 8% VAT
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The Bangkok Post has a bit of a different spin on it. IMO, if they allow any "soaking" at all, it will turn into a full blown Songkran armageddon in about 30 seconds regardless. Pete :cheers:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... be-subdued
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I would say stay tuned to this thread until someone hears or reads something about Hua Hin plans and restrictions if any. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: Khao San road is close to the Wat where people are still lining up by the thousands daily to pay respects. Given that, this year Bangkok restrictions may indeed be different than the rest of the country.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

If, and it is a huge if, the new seatbelt purge takes effect and people are not allowed in the back of pickup trucks Songkran will not be the same. Much as nowadays I keep clear of the "fun" I do have fond memories of loading up the truck with a few ongs full of water and the family having an enjoyable hour as I drove through town. The BP mentioned this would be banned but what form the enforcement takes has yet to be seen.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The Thai New Year festival, or Songkran, will be as fun as ever despite the ongoing mourning period for His Majesty the Late King, a top tourism official said Friday.
But Yuthasak said the spirit of Songkran will not be dampened this April. In fact, a warm-up Songkran procession will march through Bangkok downtown on April 8 to get everyone in the mood. The parade will start at 5pm in front of the EmQuartier shopping mall and end close to Siam Square at 7pm.
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/even ... wild-ever/
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ :lach: as predicted. This Gov is going to tear itself apart sooner or later simply because of the lack of a good Press Secretary. Pete :cheers:
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

My two cents worth..
When I came to stay here permanently circa 1988, I spent a lot of time in Chiang Mai, which is where the roots of the Songkran festival come from. Back then, people would dress in traditional dress and carry a silver bowl filled with perfumed coloured water and flower petals. As you walked through the streets, the people in front of their houses would wai, then gently pour a tiny silver cupful of scented water on your shoulder. You'd return the same.
There was no mayhem on the streets.
It probably started in the nightlife areas and spread.

Now, I have no problem with a little bit of tomfoolery, but it could get annoying if you had to dress for something - the Thais respected this and left you alone - but the tourists wouldn't know any better and sometimes even targeted those not dressed for the occasion.

Not that I am a stick in the mud, but after the first few years the shine has rubbed off and the rest has worn thin.

I tend to sit it out at my age.

And for those who are out to have a good sloshing time, fine. Enjoy yourselves. Just bear in mind that after the sun goes down, the revelry also stops.

Right.
i'll go get my hat.. :duck:
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Here's the Cicada flyer. My interpretation is 'traditional' not 'crazy'. However, it would be nice if one of the clever guys (Thai readers) can correct me if I'm wrong.
cicada.jpg

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Here's the invitation to join in traditional celebrations in Hua Hin on 13th April at Pone Kingpetch Park/

At 10.30 pm. The ceremony - pouring water in the Buddha Image.
At 11.00 pm. City Mayor. - speeches
At 12.30 pm. Parade around Hua Hin
Songkran.jpg
No mention of the 'crazy; celebrations.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Bangkok update:

After conflicting reports over the last few days about whether or not Songkran celebrations were canceled on Khaosan Road, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has come forward to say that the festival will happen — albeit with lots of rules.

Full story: Coconuts

Points 41; Position 18