Songkran 2017

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Big Boy

Re: RE: Re: Songkran 2017

Post by Big Boy »

hhinner wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:01 pm Why bother at midnight?
I've just been back to last year's thread, and the trouble started at 2am according to the OP. Looking at the video, the party was still going strong until the violence.

Shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Re: Songkran 2017

Post by Bluesky »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:51 pm Thank you - it would be useful for many to understand what they mean by 'Public Areas'
This may provide some insight.
Under the Criminal code two areas of interest are defined under Chapter 1 Section 1 (2)(3)

(2) "Public way" means a land or waterway used by the public for traffic and includes a railway or tramway used for public conveyance;

(3) "Public place" means a place to which the public has a right of entry;

http://www.thailawonline.com/images/doc ... ailand.pdf
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The Market Village Foam Party poster.
mv.jpg

Points 41; Position 18
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Thailand. Don't know where or when.
IMG_1817.JPG
IMG_1817.JPG (52.47 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
IMG_1820.JPG
IMG_1820.JPG (63.87 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
Attachments
IMG_1820.JPG
IMG_1820.JPG (63.87 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Songkran rush starts early on roads

"HIGHWAYS leading to the North and Northeast became more congested than usual this weekend as many people working in Bangkok and nearby provinces made early journeys to their hometowns for the upcoming Songkran Festival."......

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30311780
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK guys, am I on another planet, or am I totally misreading what is being said? This is what I think has been said:

- Hua Hin Police Chief said no alcohol. So does this mean Hua Hin bars will be closed? If yes, how many/what days? I don't drink, but no alcohol days normally generate a lot of discussion on here.

- Water splashing will only be allowed in designated areas. Has anybody heard what those areas are? I've basically heard Pone Kingpetch Park and there will be a foam party at Market Village. Is there anything else being permitted, water wise? Is the 5 Street Foam Party happening this year?

- No partying after midnight. If the above is correct (I hope it isn't), there isn't going to be a party anyway.

The whole event seems to be a washout, or am I misinterpreting the rules.

If nothing changes, I'll probably stay home with a good movie or six.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

As usual, there is no definitive instruction, just different 'jobsworths' spouting their own 'rules'. Right hand not talking to the left hand. No change there.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Is there even the usual parade?

I seem to recall reading that alcohol would be banned in the"splashing areas".

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

hhinner wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:20 pm Is there even the usual parade?

I seem to recall reading that alcohol would be banned in the"splashing areas".
So if I can find somewhere that alcohol is not banned, I get to stay dry? If so, that sounds like an improvement!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhinner wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:20 pm Is there even the usual parade?
I've definitely read (think I've posted it here somewhere) that the Parade will depart Pone Kingpetch Park sometime between 12 and 2 on the 13th.

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ So, will there be water splashing allowed along the parade route, and if so, will bars along the route be not allowed to sell booze then? Would bar owners prefer to be in the wet areas and not sell booze or be in the dry areas and able to sell booze?

Sent from my ifive mini 4S using Tapatalk

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just found this which implies a nation wide rule:
Officials in Thailand have ordered that water-throwing activities during Songkran be confined to designated zones in all major provinces.
Alcohol is to be banned in areas where water fights are expected, officials said.
Splashing activities will be allowed in the municipal area, where pick-up trucks are permitted to enter carrying revellers as well as tubs filled with water.
However, water-throwing from the back of pick-ups will be banned along major roads and highways, in compliance with the government’s order, according to the provincial authorities.
Community checkpoints manned by volunteers will also be set up in villages in provinces to encourage motorists not to drink and drive to promote safe driving, according to the Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth).
Checkpoints can also double as rest stops for motorists who are tired during long drives.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

HHTel wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:24 am Just found this which implies a nation wide rule:

Community checkpoints manned by volunteers will also be set up in villages in provinces to encourage motorists not to drink and drive to promote safe driving, according to the Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth).
And still - despite so called moves to improve road safety - they say checkpoints manned by VOLUNTEERS.... to ENCOURAGE motorists not to drink and drive. Then they will wonder why the Songkran death toll is so high - again.

Isn't it the job of the police to man checkpoints etc? Not to mention enforce the law. Or maybe I forget. The police will be chucking water around as well. In moderation and without drinking of course. :banghead:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

So does anyone know how long the Post Office and Postal/Mail Service is going to be shut down during this Songkran silly stuff?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The plot thickens - the 5 Street Foam Party is sponsored by Leo, so I guess water splashing and beer will be happening.
5_Street.jpg
5_Street.jpg (126.58 KiB) Viewed 744 times

Points 41; Position 18