Looking for private thai school for 3 kids

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
Nille
Rookie
Rookie

Looking for private thai school for 3 kids

Post by Nille »

Hi,

This is my first post on this excellent website which I am sure I will make good use of during time to come.

I am moving back to Thailand in November 2010 (lived in bangkok between 96-07) and am trying to find a school for my kids. We have been in Sweden for 3 years now and the kids have maintained their thai pretty well but they don't speak any english. Therefore we look for a private thai school.

Emily is 8, Josefine 7 and Sebastian 5.

My wife have called some schools but they all say - its full but come and talk when you are here...

Anyone here who could provide some ideas to proceed?
padma
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Looking for private thai school for 3 kids

Post by padma »

[ Admin Edit: post deleted, you have been presented with our advertising options for your business and decided not to make use of them. Please adhere to the forum rules regarding self promotion. ]
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Just to push this along a bit, what is the school Terry & Carmen are talking about in many posts? Is it a Thai school or English? They seem to speak quite highly of it in the posts that I can recall. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Isn't that Somtawain School.

More information on schools can be found here http://www.expathuahin.com/schools-huahin.php
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There's another part of this that needs thought. I can see the schools telling you what they did. They probably get many similar calls but really can't assess the children's Thai (or English) proficiency, the parent's financial ability, or even if the parents are serious. I can see where they can't keep spots open for students based upon phone or email contact. They need to see you and the children before any process starts. There could be proficiency tests involved also to see what level your children are suited for.

If the school is running on a Thai schedule, the schools are closed for all of October for their mid-year break. If you arrive in November it's possible that your children won't get into a school until the new school year starts after the March-early May year end break.

I think it would be a good idea to get over here for a visit with your children before the October break to begin the process to assure that they have a spot in November. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nille
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nille »

Thanks Pete and admin!

Somtawain School is one of the schools we have contacted.

I used to live in Bangkok for 11 years and have some experiences with local processes so I could not agree more with your reply. Normally I would say their response indicates the schools are more than full but in Thailand it could pretty well be that "someone" dont want to bother further until its worth doing so, or tell my wife who called - she was not polite enough.

If there is lots of room in the schools in the area its definitely opportunities for a marketeer in this area...

However, I dont even have a guts fealing for the chance of getting the kids into one of the schools. If I come in October, how great is the chance I would even be considered?

Note I am looking for a private thai school as my kids dont speak english. (I hope they give English classes). Its very important to us that my kids learn to read and write thai. My projected tuition fee is in the range of 6-8,000 baht per month/kid.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I don't live in HH Nille so have to wait for someone to reply who has direct experience with the schools there.

I don't think a bad idea though for you to put together a mini CV for each child, including photo and details of their schooling so far, courses, grades achieved etc., so you can Fedex something off quickly if needed. Pete :cheers:
Nille
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nille »

Good idea Pete!

What do you guys think of my odds coming there in October and have my kids enrolled for the November semester?
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

What do you guys think of my odds coming there in October and have my kids enrolled for the November semester?
Even if your children were half human half martian and had psychotic tendencies, their only spoken language was umba^^@krok from the lower constellation of Umbardfar, and they flew rather than walked...... they would still be able to be enrolled by the semester beginning in November. As long as you walk into the school of your choice with money in hand you will not be refused anywhere in Hua Hin.

One of the many plus sides about Thailand. Money speaks louder than anything. :cheers:
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

P.S.

I still believe Somtawin is the only decent choice for foreign students based on the curriculum taught.

I currently work at an international school in Bangkok where the fees are 250,000+ per year. The teaching standard and curriculum is NO different to that at Somtawin. Only difference I can see is the annual Cambridge tests which the students receive a certificate for. Somtawin....... bloody good value for money compared to other schools.
Nille
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nille »

Thanks for comforting me :)
stgrhe
Professional
Professional

Post by stgrhe »

Welcome to the HHAD forum Nille!
STW_Ryan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by STW_Ryan »

GLCQuantum wrote:P.S.

I still believe Somtawin is the only decent choice for foreign students based on the curriculum taught.

I currently work at an international school in Bangkok where the fees are 250,000+ per year. The teaching standard and curriculum is NO different to that at Somtawin. Only difference I can see is the annual Cambridge tests which the students receive a certificate for. Somtawin....... bloody good value for money compared to other schools.
I'm biased of course but he's right. I've been at the school 3 years and watched it steadily improve, and have also visited other schools to see what they're doing. The quality of what goes on at Somtawin is pretty impressive for the money people pay (relatively speaking). We can't necessarily offer scout trips deep in an african jungle or skiing during club time but we can offer (as close as we can legally do within the restrictions of being a non-international school in Thailand) a fairly international curriculum. Our teachers are dedicated and hard-working, and enjoy what they do (that's important, kids know if you're bored or doing it for the money!). It's not perfect, there's still room for improvement but I'm personally involved in a couple of projects to get cool stuff into the classroom and make useful things available to parents at home, and if I get my way it's gonna be awesome :)
Nille
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nille »

stgrhe wrote:Welcome to the HHAD forum Nille!
Thanks for that :)
Nille
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nille »

STW_Ryan wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote:P.S.

I'm biased of course but he's right. I've been at the school 3 years and watched it steadily improve, and have also visited other schools to see what they're doing. The quality of what goes on at Somtawin is pretty impressive for the money people pay (relatively speaking). We can't necessarily offer scout trips deep in an african jungle or skiing during club time but we can offer (as close as we can legally do within the restrictions of being a non-international school in Thailand) a fairly international curriculum. Our teachers are dedicated and hard-working, and enjoy what they do (that's important, kids know if you're bored or doing it for the money!). It's not perfect, there's still room for improvement but I'm personally involved in a couple of projects to get cool stuff into the classroom and make useful things available to parents at home, and if I get my way it's gonna be awesome :)
A friend of mine talked warm about Salesian School. Both his girls has spend many years there and are now +15 and looking for other options. They guy lives in Hua Hin since early 90'. They have tried an international school to but I dont remeber the name, I will ask. They where not happy with that international school as they thought the school was "unstable". His girls are as clever as any and speaks fluent english so, so far its my first choice. In any case, my ears are open.

My 2 cents. Fluency in Thai is by far more important that fluency in English (it will come anyway) for us. I have met so many international students with a thaiparent that have thai as their second language (living in Thailand). Personally I think that is embarrassing. Imagine being Thai, having a great education, looking for good job in Thailand, and not being able to spell in your mother tongue...

Just one thing with schools - parents and teachers seems to be biased towards their choice... :?

More comments please :bow: