Tablet computers before food and education?

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
buksida

Tablet computers before food and education?

Post by buksida »

While many children in rural schools can barely read and write and, worse, their families cannot afford proper food and rely on the free lunch programme, a Pheu Thai MP has bragged about promising them each a tablet computer - to improve their learning capability.

The opposition Pheu Thai Party is obsessed with computers.

Whenever the general election may be, free tablet computers for all students will be part of the party’s campaign policy platform.

At the last general election, four years ago, one of the party's populist policies was “a notebook computer for every student”.

With the next election expected in July, the party has come up with a "new" idea -- “a tablet computer for each student”.

This amazing idea was thought up by Pichai Naripthapan, a Puea Thai MP and a member of the party’s economic working group.

He proposes that each Thai student, from first grade (Prathom 1) up, will be given a tablet computer free of charge - courtesy of the taxpayers - with ADSL connection or wireless high-speed internet (WiFi).

Full Story: Bangkok Post

Thought: There is a business opportunity somewhere in there for Thaksin and his cronies.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
brianks
Guru
Guru

Re: Tablet computers before food and education?

Post by brianks »

Yes, I think it is a Great idea. Such a useful device for students and with a ADSL connection at who's cost? Great selling item at the local fresh or techie markets. That's where the money for food comes from.
Someone must have put a lot of thought into this when he was squatting over the John.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Yes, I can just imagine the feeding frenzy around the allocation funds on this one at all levels with ghost students registered everywhere, a massive embezzlement opportunity for many.

Even though we could throw a bunch of negative realistic comments at this one, it wouldn't surprise me if the giveaway worked and the usual results in the national elections came through, BBK elite get pissy and we are back to square one.

:roll: Have they learned nothing?
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, quite a dilemma. With everyone having one, there will be no one to sell it to. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

ICT signs $32m tablet PC contract
The Ministry of Information and Communication Technology signed a US$32.8 million contract with a Chinese tablet computer supplier on Friday.

ICT Minister Anudith Nakornthap said the first consignment of 400,000 tablets manufactured by Shenzhen Scope Scientific Development Co Ltd will be delivered to Thailand within 60 days and there would be a repeat order of a maximum one million units.

The tablets come with a 1.2 GHz single core CPU, 1GB RAM, a 3,600mAh lithium-polymer battery and a two-year warranty.

They will be distributed to all Prathom 1 (Grade 1) primary students under the Pheu Thai-led government's One Tablet PC Per Child scheme, aimed at promoting a knowledge-based and network-connected society.

The Ministry of Education is responsible for the content to be installed in the devices.

Source: Bangkok Post

Thoughts: I wonder how they are going to decide which Pua Thai voting, Issan only, government schools are going to get them, and how long they will last without breaking, being sold, or ending up in teachers top draw!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Actually, when you consider what government departments like Defence waste on useless things, $32 million isn't really so much money and kids in the countryside do need access to computers if they're ever going to have a hope of escaping poverty.
I agree that someone will be on the make with this but that applies to all infrastructure spending in Asia and much of the rest of the world as well.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

To me it looks like this is just another example of a common political campaign strategy: making promises is essential, the practical consequences are irrelevant. Perhaps too cynical but I would not be surprised if the whole project is called off soon blaming the manufacturer for poor quality, breach of contract or whatever they can get away with.

The votes are won, it is not their fault, they can spend the money on other things than on poor rural school children and most importantly they avoid the embarrassment of hopelessly inefficient distribution and a zillion other practical problems that will arise was it really to be implemented. But I do not think that the Thai bureaucratic system can accomplish such a project successfully even if they wanted.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Don't worry - within a week half of the tablets will be broken or lost....
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Within 4-5 weeks Mags all the B/Gs will have taken them off their kids in Issan and will have them here to use themselves, and failing that they will be on sale at Pae-Mai market each Tuesday night..5-5.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

STEVE G wrote:Actually, when you consider what government departments like Defence waste on useless things, $32 million isn't really so much money and kids in the countryside do need access to computers if they're ever going to have a hope of escaping poverty.
I agree that someone will be on the make with this but that applies to all infrastructure spending in Asia and much of the rest of the world as well.

Well said. I agree that the government is most likely doing this for sake of gaining political ground, but it's no different to any other government, here or abroad. Also, as you say, I'd rather see a government spend $32 million on computers for kids than spend $200 million on a nuclear missile. Maybe the government should scrap their plans for buying submarines as well, and use the money to give all kids internet access. They could scrap that sill "war room" nonsense as well because now even first graders will learn how to get around substandard censorship. :laugh:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Takiap wrote:

Well said. I agree that the government is most likely doing this for sake of gaining political ground, but it's no different to any other government, here or abroad. Also, as you say, I'd rather see a government spend $32 million on computers for kids than spend $200 million on a nuclear missile. Maybe the government should scrap their plans for buying submarines as well, and use the money to give all kids internet access. They could scrap that sill "war room" nonsense as well because now even first graders will learn how to get around substandard censorship. :laugh:

:cheers:
What is this about spending $200million on a nuclear missile ?
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

usual suspect wrote:Within 4-5 weeks Mags all the B/Gs will have taken them off their kids in Issan and will have them here to use themselves, and failing that they will be on sale at Pae-Mai market each Tuesday night..5-5.
Let me know how much will you US?
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.