Resources for home schooling

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Re: Resources for home schooling

Post by nanyang »

MrPlum wrote:
prcscct wrote:Yes, my 3rd Grader uses it every weekend to brush up on things, mainly math at present. She's been using it for 2 years now, and in 2nd Grade last year it was actually part of her teacher assigned homework.
Her spoken English is now quite good but written is still poor.
I recently sat next to a young Thai, aged 24, who went to N.Z. at the age of 9.

He said that he left these shores with no English language ability whatsoever.

His English pronunciation was flawless, due, he said, to being totally immersed in the language.

He now has a degree in computer science; however, he admitted that his written work is still a problem.

His revelation that written work is a problem is because the two languages are so fundamentally different.

He was a breath of fresh air to me.

Take heart, that whilst your daughter may always find written work to be a problem, it's nothing to be overly concerned about.
buksida

Re: Resources for home schooling

Post by buksida »

Here's one more our eldest just mentioned: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/

Can anyone recommend some good educational apps for Android tablets for 6 to 8 year olds? Our eldest can beat it at backgammon now but I think something more substantial is required!

Edit: Searching Google Play is useless as it just throws up a load of Thai apps.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson