learning russian

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

learning russian

Post by jingjoe »

After talking to a few Russian people lately,their opinion is in the next 5 to 10 years,hua hin will have a large Russian population,my guess is a lot of ukranians will move here to escape the troubles.
Do any of the language schools here offer Russian classes,might be a useful language for the locals in the future
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Re: learning russian

Post by bapak »

jingjoe wrote:After talking to a few Russian people lately,their opinion is in the next 5 to 10 years,hua hin will have a large Russian population,my guess is a lot of ukranians will move here to escape the troubles.
Do any of the language schools here offer Russian classes,might be a useful language for the locals in the future
Sirada - The Learning Centre has a large number if Russian students studying English.
Tend to agree about the future increase in Russian population in Hua Hin.
However, judging by the local negative attitude towards learning English, I doubt any demand to learn Russian. We have not had one request.

You mention, Ukrainians.... we have a number of Ukrainian students but they tend to enrol for Thai language classes.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

jingjoe wrote:After talking to a few Russian people lately,their opinion is in the next 5 to 10 years,hua hin will have a large Russian population,my guess is a lot of ukranians will move here to escape the troubles.
There are far more Scandinavians here than native English-speakers, and although there are a few (very few, I imagine) Thais locally who speak Swedish or Norwegian (which are in general terms mutually comprehensible), I doubt there is a huge demand for lessons from the general population. By and large, Thais expect farang to speak English, regardless of where they come from.
This is the way
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

bapak wrote:
Sirada - The Learning Centre has a large number if Russian students studying English.
Tend to agree about the future increase in Russian population in Hua Hin.
However, judging by the local negative attitude towards learning English, I doubt any demand to learn Russian. We have not had one request.

You mention, Ukrainians.... we have a number of Ukrainian students but they tend to enrol for Thai language classes.
If I could change my ed visa to studying Russian instead of thai I would for sure.
I think it would be quite interesting to learn.........plus no problems at immigration,with trying to trick me up on the language :D
Taikka
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Taikka »

The easiest way to study Russian is to make friends with some of them )
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

Taikka wrote:The easiest way to study Russian is to make friends with some of them )
yes very true,the gym I go to on soi 102 has a number of Russians,and cate the thai yoga instructor is picking up the Russian language quite well.i will make more of an effort than just a smile and a hello in future.
sneg55
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sneg55 »

One of my friend opened russian language school for thais at Phuket several years ago, and he told that it's not bad business.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I would think it would be incredibly difficult for Thais to learn Russian. With the English language we can be pretty forgiving of pronunciation - in that we can still understand greatly mispronounced words. I remember myself trying to learn a bit of Russian from some of my students years back and had great troubles with a lot of the throaty sounds which English doesn't have, and Thai doesn't even have anything approximating.
Taikka
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Taikka »

Pleng wrote:I would think it would be incredibly difficult for Thais to learn Russian
Agree, the sounds are greatly different, but for an english-speaking person not so difficult, imho. The difference in english and russian SOUNDS not so crucial - we've got only 3-4 sounds that miss in your alphabet. The most difficulty would be not the prononciation, but grammar.
Taikka
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Taikka »

There is a great thing to start to learn new language http://www.earwormslearning.com
I tried Italian several years ago and still remember everything from that course, stuck to my brains ))
Try it with Russian, just to see is this language for you.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Slightly off topic but I was amazed a few days ago when a woman I had been talking for a few hours revealed that she was from Moscow after I asked her where about in the UK she's from. There wasn't even a hint of a Russian accent despite her having lived in in Moscow where she was born. I'll point out that she came across as being a genuinely nice person.

And here I was thinking all Russians have a Russian accent. :oops:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact