English children in the Thai school system.

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
theprice01
Professional
Professional

English children in the Thai school system.

Post by theprice01 »

Hi,

A friend of mine has been working in a private primary school in Phuket these last few weeks, theres 3 or 4 100% English kids there, whose parents live & work on the island.
I'v been told there writing is like that of a 6 year old in an English school (there all between 9 - 11 years old). And that they can't do joined up writing

Do any teachers (or anyone for that matter) think its selfish to have 100% English/Aussie/USA children educated in Thailand??
Mods - feel free to delete or move to 'Family & Lifestyle' if you think it'll upset too many.
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: English children in the Thai school system.

Post by Gregjam »

It would be very difficult to answer your question based on information from two sentences. To form a balanced response you would have to know a lot of what is probably private personal background information relating to the parents situation.

It did occur to me that a lot of the young teenagers these days seem to have very poor handwriting and are unable to compose a sentence without very obvious grammatical errors (something also obvious in a lot of posts on the forum but in many cases this can be attributed to English being the poster's second language). They may be able to text at lightning speed but their spelling is awful and handwriting is best described as scrawl.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Well I hope they teach them the difference between there, their and they're ;-)
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

NOKYAI wrote:Well I hope they teach them the difference between there, their and they're ;-)
:lach: Cheeky boy :laugh:

Bye (buy) for now. I've got to 'leg of lamb it' :duck:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

The word for 'joined' writing is--CURSIVE. it is not taught in many western schools although french Schools still emphasize it. After years of keyboarding my writing is so poor that I write in Bold capitals now. There is lots of evidence that texting is a very negative factor in communication, abbreviated spelling and total lack of grammar being the accepted mode.. Its not just in Thai but universal.
but back to the main point. The quality of learning of any child is hugely influenced by the performance of the other children in the class. Children in private schools do well because they are surrounded by children from homes where education is respected. If an Anglo child is ina class with 90% Thai children they will work and learn at their pace of their classmates.
It is interesting that the British 'Public Schools"are full of children from Asia who are sent there to
receive a quality education. Western parents putting their children in Asian Schools may be doing the opposite.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

From what I have seen with my own kids who attend a private Thai school........

Their English handwriting is indeed very poor if I compare it to how my own writing was at their age, and yes, they are not taught "joined up" writing. However, their Thai writing is superb, and neater than you can imagine.

To be honest, it actually baffles me because when they write in Thai, it looks as neat and as tidy as computer printed text, and I would have expected them to use that same skill when writing in English, but it doesn't happen.

With all that having been said, we now live in a world where actual writing has more or less become a thing of the past. I can't even remember when last I actually had to sit down and write something with pen and paper.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact