Furthering education and knowledge with online courses

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
buksida

Furthering education and knowledge with online courses

Post by buksida » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:19 pm

Call it a "change of direction" or "mid-life crisis" but I've been seriously considering taking some online courses to further my knowledge in subjects I'm actually interested in rather than ones I have had to do for work. My industry has changed so much in recent years into something it wasn't when I started out, and quite frankly something I no longer have affinity or affection for. I either have to learn it all again, or venture into something completely different. Working with anything remotely connected to tourism or Thailand at the moment (and foreseeable future) is a proverbial dead duck.

I've already enrolled for a six week course which starts next week via this organisation which offers courses from top universities all over the world: http://www.edx.org/
It also has a really slick learning and interaction platform and seems very professionally managed. It could be something for the kids at a later stage in their education as a viable alternative to the dross that they get served up at feeble excuses for schools in Thailand.

So, is anyone else out there exercising their grey matter online or am I alone in my new endeavour?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Get out there: On The Road Asia

Big Boy

Re: Furthering education and knowledge with online courses

Post by Big Boy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:42 pm

Full marks buksi - I did something similar (but at the local Technical College), but when I was just a little younger than you. It actually changed my life.
League 1 - Plymouth Argyle....1 Wigan....3 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Points 35; Position 15

Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:10 pm

It's never too late to study. I went back to the university in 2012 and should finish my MA in East-Asia research this autumn (only finishing touches to the thesis left) and got my Chinese teacher qualifications at the same time. I'm also furthering my English philology studies to about BA level this winter and more than half of this I can do online. Good luck to your studies Buks.
So Far From The Bamboo Grove
http://bamboogrovestories.blogspot.com/

migrant
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by migrant » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:35 pm

I also started my working life, after college, in something that I thought I wanted. I went back to school after a few years and really enjoyed it. Good Luck!
The essence of life lies with the dispensing with of formalities

lomuamart

Post by lomuamart » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:45 am

I've always looked at any further education as either something I might need for a job or something that is just to occupy myself with.
As I don't intend to work any time soon, I suppose any education would be for "fun".
I've been advised that if I did some kind of correspondence course that I should try something at the other spectrum of whatever I tried to do before.
Good luck to you.

pharvey
Addict
Addict

Post by pharvey » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:11 pm

The LHG has taken a few free online courses at https://alison.com/course/. She's enjoyed/found some more useful than others, but overall it seems to have been an enjoyable and positive experience.

Well worth a look IMHO.

:cheers: :cheers:
"You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late". Ray Gravell :wink: