The Kumon method of learning.

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

The Kumon method of learning.

Post by Khundon1975 »

Looking into giving our niece in Thailand, some extra choices in private tuition, now that she is 11 years old.

She has always had "extra tuition" classes after school from the age of 6, with private, one on one tuition with English tutors in Maths, English and various other subjects.
She loves these extra lessons which take place at her home (8 hours on weekdays and 3 hours on a Saturday) and is doing extremely well in all the subjects.
As always, we like to keep an open mind on what these lessons should consist of and how they are structured, compared to the Thai national curriculum, which we feel is total rubbish.

Friends here in the UK, have sent their kids to classes using the Kumon method here and there is a local Kumon class in BKK.
Has anyone used this method in Thailand, do you have any thoughts on how well the kids do?

Personally, having read the pros and cons of this method, I'm not convinced putting her through this type of learning method will have beneficial results.
So I welcome the thoughts and observations on any parents who have used it.

http://th.kumonglobal.com/page.jsp?id=4 ... dfrom=4262

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
PeteC

Re: The Kumon method of learning.

Post by PeteC »

I can only speak for Kumon math which is great from our experience. Daughter has been at it for over 2 years now, age 10 grade 6 at a British IS and well into Algebra now on Kumon level G. Her and three of her IS classmates who are taking Kumon math are so far ahead of the normal school math level the teacher lets them have a study hall while he teaches the others in the class. She's scored the top available math grade at her IS each term since she has been in Kumon. She really likes it and will be in it until she doesn't any longer.

Offices all over the eastern seaboard here, even in the medium size towns. Her fee for Math only is B1,500 per month and includes class on Tuesday afternoon and Saturday morning, usually for about 30-45 minutes. The class is really just for review of homework and making sure they are on the straight and narrow concerning formulas and methods. The kids have to be motivated as 90% of it is independent work at home. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
asnmdirteha
Novice
Novice

Post by asnmdirteha »

From an US perspective Kumon has a tendency to become too tedious for the children. Kumon's teaching structure is based on repetition of the same math facts over and over. A lot of my students get frustrated with the time constraint and challenges of completing the math packets in the allotted time amount. I have switched most of my after school program students to Beestar. It is based on the US curriculum and has numerous grade levels and subjects available. The concepts provided are challenging and fun for the students and they are interested in learning more. Beestar also has a great math competition that my students are enrolled in so they can keep their confidence up in learning. Good luck!
nellyp

Post by nellyp »

If you want a child who is good at arithmatic use Kumon. If you want a child who is good at mathematics don't. They do not develop problem solving skills, and that is , apparently, vital for the 21st century.

Personally, I would vary how they learn. There are so many books, games, and websites that help students learn you could do it at home with the same attension as a Kumon instructor. They spend minimal time with each student, and rely on repetition.