New somtawin school

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I think you'll find the English language was the way it is before the Americans bastardised it and made it simpler, probably for their own ease of learning.

If people want to learn how real English is spoken and written they should learn English, if they want something thats simpler and more "hip" they should learn American.

Just my thoughts, I'm no teacher, but anyway :offtopic:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Chas
Banned
Banned

English teacher

Post by Chas »

Buksida, I AM an English teacher and have been for over 35 years.

I taught in a British colony for the A and O level GCE exams for fifteen years and in American schools and colleges as well as here in Thailand. (I won't give you the full CV as this should suffice.)

The differences between American and British English as written are minimal and can be listed on a single easy reference page.

Though you probably meant it to be funny, your denigration of "American English" and especially your use of the term "bastardization" is just not amusing to me.

I am an American and there are a few of us here in Hua Hin and some are even members of this message board. In coming in here, reading the posts and posting from time to time, I have certainly felt my minority status and remarks like this just grind it in deeper.

Since HHAD is trying to make the leap from nightclub crawler to a general information forum that welcomes everyone interested in Hua Hin, I am not so sure your post sets a very welcoming tone for other Americans or even others who do not happen to be British.

I would like you to reconsider your remarks.

I also promise not to bring up the problem of English accents which nobody can understand. ( And yes, there are some very ugly accents out there. I have lots of real life experience with this aspect of the English language.)
buksida

Re: English teacher

Post by buksida »

Chas wrote: Though you probably meant it to be funny, your denigration of "American English" and especially your use of the term "bastardization" is just not amusing to me.

I am an American and there are a few of us here in Hua Hin and some are even members of this message board. In coming in here, reading the posts and posting from time to time, I have certainly felt my minority status and remarks like this just grind it in deeper.

Since HHAD is trying to make the leap from nightclub crawler to a general information forum that welcomes everyone interested in Hua Hin, I am not so sure your post sets a very welcoming tone for other Americans or even others who do not happen to be British.

I would like you to reconsider your remarks.
The intention was not to offend, and if I have done so I apologise, it was to respond in the same tone as the post above which I took as a degradation of the English language as spoken by the British or Australians.

I did have a feeling that our brethren from across the water may come out and attack me for it though, and I do not speak on behalf of HHAD, I speak on behalf of myself.

I'm not sure I agree with your comment about non Brits not being made welcome when HHAD has just introduced a new section for Nordic languages. Would you like an American section?

Now, lets get back to the topic of Somtawin or start a new thread on language differences.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

If anyone should want to learn English then the English version is the one to choose, and not the American one . And i am writing mainly about speech and use of the words and the order in which they are used and the pronunciation , and i dont mean accent . I speak some Thai i dont want to speak Thai like any other national i want to speak Thai like a Thai. --- And as for hiding behind anonymity i do not .and take exception to someone being far from polite in print that in reality would not say if i was standing within arms reach. Thank you.
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

Sorry i was off topic.
Abbynormal
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Abbynormal »

It seems the English/English group is missing the point. The written/spoken language in the classroom is a peanut. What Somtawin needs to do is adapt an internationally recognized curriculum (which will include mathematics, science, history, language, etc.) and implement it with high quality teachers. It needs to be such that a Western kid can reintegrate into a western school system without being the only fourth grader driving a car. In other words fully transferable. Per HHtel they have chosen the UK system which is fine. Anything is an improvement.

What is spoken it the class room will depend on where the teacher came from. You hire a Danish teacher, you’re going to get Danish English. Nobody can tell neighbor from neighbour, so you’re left with tomato and, well tomato type things. It’s a total non-issue.

Regarding the written language, again the differences are really small. Do you know anyone who can’t read both an English newspaper and an American one?

Abby
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Its not a non-issue for me! I hate the use of the letter Z instead of an S as disdplayed in some of the above posts! And there's lots more.

Two peoples long divided by a common language and it will continue to remain so. What BigA talked about is not stuff I would understand or accept is any simpler.

What he was referring to was "localisms"(sic?) - that happens everywhere where groups adapt certain common terms to their own needs.

It doesn't mean its good for everyone.

P.S. I rushed this, so 'scuse my English. :mrgreen:
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Try the Bangkok Post crossword puzzle every morning and you'll learn British spelling, and some words in fact, very quickly. Pete :cheers:
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Re: English teacher

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Chas wrote:I AM an English teacher and have been for over 35 years.

I also promise not to bring up the problem of English accents which nobody can understand. ( And yes, there are some very ugly accents out there. I have lots of real life experience with this aspect of the English language.)
:| It is probably a fact that you happen to be from a minority country on the forum Chas, that's not the fault of the forum but the members who join. I have yet to see anyones country slurred on this board to warrant a comment like 'felt my minority status and remarks like this just grind it in deeper' DRIVEL
philippe
Amateur
Amateur

Post by philippe »

Any news about the school wich should open i august ???
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Sorry to go off topic again; regarding the American/English debate going on, some of you might find The English to American Dictionary amusing. It also highlights how many differences there are between the two languages, although I bow to Chas's knowledge and experience when he says that the written differences are minimal. Another amusing and interesting source on this subject is the book 'Made In America: An Informal History Of The English Language In The United States" by (love him or hate him) Bill Bryson.
Anyway, :offtopic:
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

Just to emphasis the differences between English and American-English, I know of a guy in Atlanta called Terry Wanker!
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Winkie wrote:Just to emphasis the differences between English and American-English, I know of a guy in Atlanta called Terry Wanker!
I think 'wanker' is originally a German surname. At least I knew one born there with it so there must be more. He moved to London and changed it to DeWinter. :D Pete :cheers:
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

prcscct wrote:
Winkie wrote:Just to emphasis the differences between English and American-English, I know of a guy in Atlanta called Terry Wanker!
I think 'wanker' is originally a German surname. At least I knew one born there with it so there must be more. He moved to London and changed it to DeWinter. :D Pete :cheers:
I've heard that there are a lot of Wankers in Germany and America. And most parts of the world in fact.
(Sorry, just couldn't resist it, it was set up so perfectly!) :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

WL, the impressively named, Ferdinand Geminian Wanker was an 18th century theologian, and perhaps the most famous Wanker of modern times.