New somtawin school

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
philippe
Amateur
Amateur

New somtawin school

Post by philippe »

I am planing to move to HH soon. I have a 10 year old girls that I want in an international school. So, 3 weeks ago I went to see samtawin school as it is the only one in HH with full english program. I talked to head of english section and he explained that they will move this year to a new location about 15 min west of HH. He also explained that from this year they would extend the programe to grade 10 , in 2008/2009 to grade 11 and 2009/2010 to grade 12.

Do any of you have more information on this topic ???
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Hi there Phillipe,

All of what you said is true.

The new schools opening date is scheduled for the 7-8th of August. The school will be in stage 1 of development out of 4, over 4 years I believe. Once fully complete Somtawin School, I'm told, will proudly be able to say it is the biggest English Program in Thailand. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Anyway for official answers on this matter you should email the school. Hopefully the moderators can give you the email address as I have not made enough posts to be allowed to give out email addresses yet.

Cheers :D
buksida

Post by buksida »

The contact details for Somtawin and other schools in Hua Hin can be found here:

http://www.expathuahin.com/schools-huahin.php
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
philippe
Amateur
Amateur

Post by philippe »

Dear GLCQuantum,

Thanks for that information. Do you know more? Where is the new buildings? Are they going to hire more staff? Is the quality of their program better ?

Philippe
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

QLCQuantum is a teacher in that very school. He should know!!!??? But we'll see based on 'Thai time'.
philippe
Amateur
Amateur

Post by philippe »

Thats perfect if GLCQuantum is a teacher there, then he will certenly have a lot of good insight information to share with us parents.

Philippe
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Thanks for dropping me in it there HHTel!!!

Yes I am a teacher there and have been for 2 and a half years of which there has been a great deal of changes.

To be honest I am not in a position to give out many details of the school on a forum which is why I suggested to try the schools email.

Anybody is more than welcome to Pm me then I can pass any queries through to the correct people and try to get back to you with an answer.

Mr.........? :D
newlife
Amateur
Amateur

Post by newlife »

Thanks for this post, Philippe and Thanks for the info, GLCQuantum!
After read this thread, have sent the e-mail to the school! :-)

And Philippe, am considering to organize a kinnda Parents Club once I move to HH...If you are interested in, please check out the post under "CHILDREN ACTIVITIES" in Events & Activities Forum.

Then Cheers :-)
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Philippe,

I will Pm you the details of the new schools whereabouts and answer you're other queries for you. Not going to be until first thing in the morning I'm afraid as I am not sure of the exact address, haven't got the full details at hand right now and I have to leave the computer now.

Good night :)
philippe
Amateur
Amateur

Post by philippe »

Thank for the answers.

Newlife that is a very good idea. Will look up what you have come up with when arriving in 3 month time in HH.

Philippe
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Glad to hear there is a Som Tum school. Most of the papaya pop pop I have had rentently is somtum Thai not somtum Issan so it is missing the necessery ingredients like pickled crab and fermented fish. I am sure a proper school will correct this over sight.
philippe
Amateur
Amateur

Post by philippe »

Does anyone have news about the project of the new school? There have been many people asking for good schooling in HH and this project might be the one ???
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

Hi Nomad,
I know this is off topic but here in Perth amongst the Thai community there is a black market for what we refer to as Rock Crabs.
Small brown coloured crabs that hide near rocks and come out to scavenge any scraps left behind by humans.
They are too quick for falang to catch but some of our friends know how to do it.
Som Tum here in Perth is THE MOST POPULAR DISH amongst our Thai community.

I like it but I always insist on:

No raw crab please.
You only live once.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

ozuncle wrote:Hi Nomad,
I know this is off topic but here in Perth amongst the Thai community there is a black market for what we refer to as Rock Crabs.
Small brown coloured crabs that hide near rocks and come out to scavenge any scraps left behind by humans.
They are too quick for falang to catch but some of our friends know how to do it.
Som Tum here in Perth is THE MOST POPULAR DISH amongst our Thai community.

I like it but I always insist on:

No raw crab please.
They've got them here also Oz, right on the rocks/surf on the Pattaya beaches. But, they don't use them for Somtum much as too hard to catch and too small as you say. They use the fresh water black crabs that inhabit the rice fields. Sometimes they cover the small roads between the fields and all you have to do is stop the car and pick them up. Anyway, they ain't pickled too much which is what causes problems with somtum bought from street vendors you're not familiar with.

I think theses days if you took a poll in the cities, the majority would say they tell the vendor to leave them out. Different story in the countryside where things are more clean and controlled. Pete :cheers:
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Of course it is the most popular dish in Thailand as well and I seem to have to eat it every few days as well! I guess it is also the national Thai dish! 4 or 5 chiles only please instead of the standard hand full.The most pleasant of all the lovely Thai food we are lucky enough to have the chance to enjoy.