Anyone recommend supplementary Thai tutor for Thai child?

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Anyone recommend supplementary Thai tutor for Thai child?

Post by DawnHRD »

I'm rather worried that littl'un (pure Thai in case anyone isn't aware of my/his history) isn't doing as well in school as he should be. I wrote a letter to his school (in English, as there's supposedly a local Thai English teacher there) telling them of my worries & they told me they'd write back. Nothing.
They are aware of his situation & that he has no Thai parent or role model, and that my spoken Thai is pretty abysmal & my written Thai non-existent. I already pay for him to stay after school to do his homework with help from his teacher, but I don't think that's helping. He just doesn't seem to be to the same standard as his peers & I think the school have just written him off.

So, does anyone know of a good Thai tutor suitable for a seven year old? I don't want to be paying for someone useless or non-qualified. I really think he needs proper help. His weekdays are pretty full, but we can manage 1 or 2 hours on Saturday & Sunday. Anyone know of anyone they can recommend through experience? Cheers. :)
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dawn,

When we stayed in a house behind the Grand Hotel a couple of years ago, there was a teacher living across from us who used to turn her house in to a weekend school.

If you get no other offers, I can get my daughter to pop up to see if she's still in business, rates etc. Just let me know.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Both my daughters attend Salesian. After school on weekdays they attend 'Pee Sayt' (excuse the transliteration). Both of them enjoy the extra and wouldn't want it cancelled. From my point of view, they both have their homework complete which relieves me of a problem. The times are 4:30 until 6:15 or more. We pay 800 baht per month. I'm not sure if it's only available to Salesian students or whether all comers are welcome. I'll ask on Monday evening and let you know.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

My sister in law works at the school in Nebkerhardt Road. They teach children of that age and I'm sure there will be one that will able to help.

I will get her to ask.

The sister is not the most reliable person in the world so it may take a few days.

It will be difficult to recommend anybody unless they have taught her 6 year old son.

I will get back via a PM when I have heard something.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Dawn i have 2 tin shack kids that sleep over at my house friday night and saturday night so they can go to the teacher across the road from me they are there all day sat and some sundays all day and she has about 10 kids but it is totally thai and about little uns age as well
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm really anxious for him to keep up with the other kids & know I can't help him. This is how it feels to be illiterate - not good. :(

I'd appreciate more info from anyone that's already posted.

Thanks so much, all. :D :cheers:
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!