British System?

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
PeteC

British System?

Post by PeteC »

VS, you mentioned some things about the above educational system in the 'evolution' thread. Anyone please comment as well.

I need some help in understanding it as my daughter is now in it, although at the very early stages.

The school keeps sending home newsletters referencing "IB" and something else called (and I am just guessing) ICGSE?

We're on summer break now so no one I can ask there, so thought I would throw it out on here. It seems that for an "IB", the students go for 13 years, whereas the other I mention above is only 12 years.

Please explain the differnece and which is better for university entrance? Thanks. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Something for you to go on with Pete, it may be this the school is referring to:

The International Baccalaureate

http://www.ibo.org/

As an aside, which pre-school do you have her enrolled in ?

:cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks Nereus, I'll study it. She's in Garden International School here in Rayong. 'Early Years" through to 12-13..IB etc. Pete :cheers:

http://www.gardenrayong.com/index.php?section=1
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

The other one you were thinking about is the IGCSE, Pete - google it and you'll find plenty of info.
This is the way
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Pete: The way I see it, and I may be wrong, is as follows:

IGCSE is the International versions (hence the 'I') of the GCSE exams that pupils in the UK take at the age of 16. OK, for us old folk they are 'O' levels or 'CSEs'. These exams are taken at the age of 16 and cannot be used for entry into a university. Just like the 'old' exams.

To get into a university (worldwide) you need an equivalent of an 'A' level. That's where IB comes in. They do a Diploma programme which is accepted by most universities worldwide.

If you want your daughter to study at university, and not necessarily in Thailand, then I would go for an IB programme.

Good luck, and I hope you make the right choice for your littl'un.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
peter48
Novice
Novice

IB gets you into most universities across the world

Post by peter48 »

Presumbly there is no IB teaching in Hau Hin - as stated here this is now seen as the international currency to get into universities anywhere- even top UK private schools/colleges now do it as an alternative to A Levels.

Guess you would have to send your kids a long way to get a schooling in IB/ Any one know the nearest one to HH? And then there would be the fees !!

Many thanks
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Re: IB gets you into most universities across the world

Post by BaaBaa. »

peter48 wrote:Presumbly there is no IB teaching in Hau Hin
You could google it but make sure you spell it right. :wink:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks VS. Haven't googled the links yet as in one swoop yesterday knocked my laptop off the table, then a full beer on top of it, followed by a full ashtray. It couldn't have been done better if I planned it! :shock: Anyway, 'puter in the shop getting cleaned and checked, and I'm on my spare now. What a bloody mes, but it was funny after the fact. Pete :cheers: