Thailand speed limits to be halved?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
SPONSORS: : Car Rental Hua Hin : Bike Rental Hua Hin : Club Moto
User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 30096
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: Thailand speed limits to be halved?

Post by Big Boy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:18 am

OK, we're drifting onto not wearing helmets (which IMHO is more serious anyway), but if you go to Bangkok, 99% must wear helmets. How did they do it?

RCer, punishment now, must surely be better than death or permanent disability later. My son was involved in a serious RTA recently when the other party was not wearing a helmet (fortunately the other guy has survived). The trauma this has caused all of us is incredible, but it was all needless/preventable. I can still see the puddles of blood now - thankfully, the emergency services were there very quickly and were superb; as was the work by Hua Hin Hospital. We will be eternally grateful to them.

In this one example, the selfishness of the other person caused a lot of hurt to dozens of people by not wearing a helmet. How many similar accidents (and it was an accident) happen on Thailand's roads every day? Having been party to this, you will not convince me that this fiasco should be allowed to continue one day longer.
League 1 - Blackburn...1 Plymouth Argyle....1 :dance: :dance:
Points 7; Position 24

RCer
Guru
Guru
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:48 pm

Re: Thailand speed limits to be halved?

Post by RCer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:36 am

BB,

Problem is applying western principles in a culture that doesn't believe in them. There is no sense of self, just the group. Survival of the individual is not as important as the group. There is always someone to replace you and one less mouth to feed is not considered a bad thing.

Yes, grieving does happen, but for a finite period of time.

For me, I think its wonderful as compared to the land of "I have a right to ...., regardless of what it costs you."

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 30096
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: Thailand speed limits to be halved?

Post by Big Boy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:12 am

If what you are saying is true, why would so many visitors not even consider riding a bike in their own country, and if they did, they would certainly not ride one without a helmet? They get off the plane here, and leave their brains in the luggage hold.

I have friends who do just that - their philosophy being that if they are caught, it's only 200 Baht.

Getting caught is not the problem. The problem is having an accident, and it happens. How many appeals have we seen for victims of motorcycle accidents, their insurance being void and neither they nor their family can afford treatment.

It is not just Thais, it's across the board, and something needs to be done now, not in a couple of generations time......... maybe.

Please don't be offended, but I think your attitude is selfish/stupid, and I hope for the sake of your family you don't try to break the tarmac with your head because it won't work. You'll probably be dead or a cabbage, so it won't matter to you. Your family and the other will be hurting a lot.

It has nothing to do with Western principles, it is Thailand (native and visitor) stupidity.

I certainly feel that I am being trolled now, so will drop out of this conversation.
League 1 - Blackburn...1 Plymouth Argyle....1 :dance: :dance:
Points 7; Position 24

RCer
Guru
Guru
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:48 pm

Re: Thailand speed limits to be halved?

Post by RCer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:25 am

Ah,I see the difference in point of view. I'm talking about Thai's, you're talking about visitors.

Visitors need to pay a huge penalty for breaking laws here that are equivalent to laws in their own country.

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2192
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: Thailand speed limits to be halved?

Post by StevePIraq » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:42 pm

For all of these posts nothing is going to change in your lifetime in Thailand, whether it be wearing helmets, drink driving, speeding or any thing else.

Learn to live with it and accept the way of life and death here. You will be a lot less stressed.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

RCer
Guru
Guru
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:48 pm

Re: Thailand speed limits to be halved?

Post by RCer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:56 pm

StevePIraq wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:42 pm
For all of these posts nothing is going to change in your lifetime in Thailand, whether it be wearing helmets, drink driving, speeding or any thing else.

Learn to live with it and accept the way of life and death here. You will be a lot less stressed.
Exactly

lomuamart
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9224
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:25 pm
Location: hua hin

Re: Thailand speed limits to be halved?

Post by lomuamart » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:03 pm

What a comment - "live with it".
IMO, things are changing here now (through social media etc) and we, as foreigners, are part of that process.
Stressed? Don't think so.
Death on the roads is a sad fact of life here but hopefully everyone can contribute to making others aware of their social failings.
OK, that's a big hope but it's got to be better than "live with it".

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2192
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: Thailand speed limits to be halved?

Post by StevePIraq » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:27 pm

You have to live with it, you personally cannot change much, possibly you can slightly influence your Thai family, but any more I doubt it.
Drive careful and think of yourself first
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

User avatar
404cameljockey
Professional
Professional
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Thailand speed limits to be halved?

Post by 404cameljockey » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:14 am

StevePIraq wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:27 pm
You have to live with it, you personally cannot change much, possibly you can slightly influence your Thai family, but any more I doubt it.
Drive careful and think of yourself first
"Drive careful and think of yourself first". Of course that's a no brainer!

I sincerely believe that if everyone takes the attitude that nothing changes then it doesn't. Every journey begins with a single step,etc.

Your good/reasonable behaviour will be noticed by a few others, of those maybe a couple will feel they would like to change. The same for all who try to demonstrate a better way, as you say the effect will be small, but it's cumulative. Maybe goes for behaviour in nighttime bars as well, or is that pushing it?

"You may say I'm a dreamer" etc. yes,yes.... :)

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3288
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:55 pm
Location: Bo Fai

Re: Thailand speed limits to be halved?

Post by Takiap » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:53 am

The only difference I have seen on the roads during the last 15 or so years, is that a lot more people do wear helmets these days. In fact, it is now very rare to see someone riding a bike without a helmet in Bangkok. Ranong is another example, where even motorcycle taxis will insist that passengers wear helmets. Whenever I have been there, I have got the impression that the traffic police must obviously have made an impression. Hua-Hin's roads, by comparison, are like the wild west where just about anything goes.

Saying that things can't change is just silly, because they can change and would change if laws were enforced. In many countries, I'm sure behavior on the roads would be a lot worse if people knew they could get away with it.


As for speeding, the car manufacturers themselves could make a massive difference simply by limiting the speed of the cars they produce. If a car cannot reach 160 km/h then nobody would be doing such speeds in the first place. Yes, much slower speeds can also kill, but reducing maximum speed would surely prevent a number of accidents.

Also, cosmetic modifications should also be banned and the law enforced. Once Somchai has a big exhaust fitted, he immediately transforms into an F1 driver. The police do pull motorcycles over that have modified exhausts, so at least that's a start. Just the other day I saw a few guys getting pulled over because of their exhausts, and all were ordered to follow a policeman to the police station where their exhausts would be removed and confiscated. :thumb: Most times however, it is only a "discreet" fine.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact

RCer
Guru
Guru
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:48 pm

Re: Thailand speed limits to be halved?

Post by RCer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:58 am

Takiap wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:53 am
As for speeding, the car manufacturers themselves could make a massive difference simply by limiting the speed of the cars they produce. If a car cannot reach 160 km/h then nobody would be doing such speeds in the first place. Yes, much slower speeds can also kill, but reducing maximum speed would surely prevent a number of accidents.

:cheers:
A similar comment always comes up regarding accidents on the bike forums I'm on. After many posts, the bottom line to the discussion is always the same. Slow bikes (cars) don't bring big money to the manufacturers and dealers. :banghead:

User avatar
STEVE G
Hero
Hero
Posts: 11773
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:50 am
Location: HUA HIN/EUROPE

Re: Thailand speed limits to be halved?

Post by STEVE G » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:24 pm

RCer wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:58 am
Takiap wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:53 am
As for speeding, the car manufacturers themselves could make a massive difference simply by limiting the speed of the cars they produce. If a car cannot reach 160 km/h then nobody would be doing such speeds in the first place. Yes, much slower speeds can also kill, but reducing maximum speed would surely prevent a number of accidents.

:cheers:
A similar comment always comes up regarding accidents on the bike forums I'm on. After many posts, the bottom line to the discussion is always the same. Slow bikes (cars) don't bring big money to the manufacturers and dealers. :banghead:
The unfortunate paradox of that fact is that those of us who us just use the roads as transport infrastructure have to share it with others that think it's some kind of toy to amuse themselves with.

HHTel
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2796
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Re: Thailand speed limits to be halved?

Post by HHTel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:58 pm

Are the 'authorities' sneakily reducing the national limit from 110 to 90?
Coming back from BKK today, I noticed speed signs on Rama II of 90, and in some places it was 60 with the 'camera logo'. Also on the road to Petchaburi and beyond, 90kms. Even the dual carriageway from Cha-am to HH there are 90 speed limits, again with the 'camera sign' (although I doubt whether any cameras exist). Local drivers are completely ignoring these bright yellow signs so nothing will change.
I remember an article a few months ago (I think Phuket though I might be wrong) where an automatic speed camera was installed. It had 4,500 hits on the first day! Far too many to process so it was binned!

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 30096
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: Thailand speed limits to be halved?

Post by Big Boy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:23 pm

Have you noticed the speed limits along the Klong Road. I don't normally speed these days, but you can't help it along there.
League 1 - Blackburn...1 Plymouth Argyle....1 :dance: :dance:
Points 7; Position 24

User avatar
Norseman
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5738
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 12:13 pm
Location: Hua Hin

Re: ThaiThailand speed limits to be halved?

Post by Norseman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Last week I was stopped by a High Way Police officer who could speak English.
He warned me that driving in 120 km pr hour wasn't in accordance with Thailand's laws, max speed limit on the motorways is 90 km pr hour so I was fined 200 Baht.
It seems to me that they do enforce the laws. This happened up in Korat BTW.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests