Best dealer for second hand cars near Hua Hin ?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Best dealer for second hand cars near Hua Hin ?

Post by Nereus »

Johan wrote:Thanks, yes, why not, i can pay them to take the car from Bangkok. I just don't want to drive from Bangkok to Hua Hin.
Have a look at the following website. It is in Thai, but not hard to follow, or translate most of it with Google. You can get a good idea of prices and what is available.
For instance, your budget will get you a 2002 / 2003 Volvo, on LPG if you want, a much better buy than some Japanese tin box, new or otherwise, in my opinion. :cheers:

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Home/Home.aspx
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Forgive my skepticism and bringing this up but it is worth mentioning that the average local isn't a great devotee of care and maintenance of vehicles, so a decent check is certainly in order, probably best to buy a car that is still under factory warranty which usually is 100,000 km or 5 years, whichever one comes first.

Nereus, the European cars are better put together (and more expensive) than the Japanese ones but maintenance and parts can be an expensive headache along with gulping a lot of juice, especially if the car is 8 or so years old. I suppose so long as you go into it with your eyes wide open, then fine. I'm not sure if I'd be brave enough to buy an eight year old Volvo with 2-3 previous Thai owners unless I was a mechanic that liked to tinker around in my spare time, which I'm not really.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
jimmy40
Professional
Professional

Post by jimmy40 »

Hi Johan, I am a newbie here, only been here for 4 or so months. But was a car dealer in Australia, i am on the lookout for something myself, so i have been travelling to Bangkok looking and driving stock. I have to say most of the second hand cars here have been smashed and or drive like they have hit the gutter at 100 k's a hour. Putting it nicely there crap. I will agree with what was writen above about a new car, and don't believe its like anywhere else on the planet. Second hand cars hold there value here for ages. You may also like to know that Mitsubishi here are doing a finance deal, at 0.68%. So maybe do a re think and buy a new Mits with 50% down and save your money and youse thers at that rate, just a thought
buksida

Post by buksida »

jimmy40 wrote: You may also like to know that Mitsubishi here are doing a finance deal, at 0.68%. So maybe do a re think and buy a new Mits with 50% down and save your money and youse thers at that rate, just a thought
Welcome to the board, has Mitsu changed their policies then? When we purchased our Lancer a couple of years ago they would not give finance to foreigners so I had to shell out 100% in cash ... which hurt a little!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Johan
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Johan »

I've found a Honda Accord of 2005 for 670 000 and a Honda Jazz 2006 for 450 000. The first with 100K Km and the second with 50K Km. Both Thai owned. I think the Jazz is expensive but the Accord is well priced for this year.

The new prices are way too expensive, i will just get an Honda Jazz for 670 000, and the second hand one look's like new outside and inside.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

4-5 years old and half a million baht or more with two Thai previous owners................ :|

Hmmmmmmm............might as well buy a new one of some description unless a certain style of car is more important than other priorities, even if slightly more expensive.

However, just my opinion though.
Johan
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Johan »

The new is more than 1.400.000
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Yes, for a new Accord with all the extras. However, maintenance on the older, even 4-5 year old one that have been badly taken care of, large saloons can get expensive and seems like it's outside its factory warranty if it's done 100,000 km, probably why it's for sale.

At the end of the day it's what we, in English call, 'horses for courses' or 'whatever floats your boat'. All I would say is be careful about buying 2nd hand cars, especially big expensive ones here. Buying new ones is just safe as the locals attitude towards care and maintenance is not admirable to say the least.

You are a young man, 24, if I remember correctly from your first post, high value items can be a serious pit-fall for everyone, just take your time and get as much advice as you can from everyone you know, getting stiffed in LOS is disturbingly common.

Good luck, Mon ami. :cheers:
Johan
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Johan »

You are right, the car have 102.000 KM on it, so it's out warranty. And 5 years old too. Looks pretty new and clean but i don't know about the engine.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

If a car has been cared for properly, the owner/seller should have service records. I change my oil and filter every 5k even though the dealer recommends 12 or 15k, and I get all other suggested maintenance done on mine as well (it's cheap here) so I have the receipts from all of these service visits in the car.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Yeah HHF, I do the same with my Triton, if you can find a car/pickup that has been owned by a foreigner which has service records then that's as good a bet as anything. I'll only send mine to the actual Mitsubishi garage for service, not to a local "Corner Bob's" mechanic shop etc, work is guaranteed for 5k km anyhow till next service.
Johan
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Johan »

What do you think if i take the car to the official Honda shop to ask them if this car is in good condition before buy it ? How much it would cost me to do this ?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

That's a good idea, but I have no idea if they would do it or how much they would charge. After all, they are in the business of selling new cars so why should they facilitate you buying a used one from somewhere else unless they charge enough for the check up to make it worth their while.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Johan wrote:What do you think if i take the car to the official Honda shop to ask them if this car is in good condition before buy it ? How much it would cost me to do this ?

Or take it to a good independent mechanic (there are some out there) not known to the seller and ask for a professional opinion.
Johan
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Johan »

Bought it today, i took the car to Honda shop, they said something needed to be changed, and the dealer will change it for free. They used a computer to check the car. I asked them about the engine and they said everything was fine apart that thing, oxigen sonar or something like that.