Thai Driver's License Renewal

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Re: Thai Driver's License Renewal

Post by JamesWest »

ok phartley58 is the new world's record holder... :)

I am from Los Angeles and a trip to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles always takes two of more hours with very long lines. My last trip there I stood in line for 45 minutes. This is a huge building with maybe two dozen people at windows processing paper work.

Of course they actually test if you can drive, know the rules of the road and test your eyesight... :)

Now if the State of California would only start asking if you are in the country legally before handing out licenses...
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
streuner
Novice
Novice

Post by streuner »

I dont have a € Driver License,therefor i want to make a Thai license for Riding Motorbike.
I would like to know if I can make it with a Tourist Visa?
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Yes, you can
streuner
Novice
Novice

Post by streuner »

O'right,i will have a Rent-Condo Contract,with this Paper I go to the I-Office,then I can ask for make License.
Who can Rent me a Chopper for at least 4 Weeks?
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

As well as proof of address from immigration you'll need a medical certificate from a hospital or clinic.

Getting the licence is a two day process. Read here for more information.
neo24
Amateur
Amateur

Post by neo24 »

so let me understand this: As a US guy with a license, under the Treaty I can use my stateside license?
dragonseeker
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dragonseeker »

Got my one year licences upgraded to a five year car and motorbikes licences at Cha-am today.
Step 1 Medical cert. I used Sumet clinic on main road opposite Soi 80. 100 Baht per copy...ie 200Baht.
Step 2 Residency proof letter from immigration. Copies of passport, photo page, visa page, arrival card, last entry also three photos. I used a business card from a guesthouse as proof which was accepted without a fuss. 500 baht each letter ie 1000 baht.
Step 3 Off to Cha Am transport dept (Pass Santorini touris trap, go under a footbridge, make a U Turn then first on Left). Got there for 0830 opening, second in line with unsmiling information lady, accepted all my papers, asked to come back to counter two at 10.00. Breakfast on the beach at Cha Am, Returned at ten and fronted at counter two. Told very busy please sit. Called back five minutes later and asked to check a doc (in Thai) and sign 960 baht please(!!). Sit again. Called back after another ten minutes and told to go for photo. (at left end of counter, thru all the training video watchers and into a back office) Had photo taken and five minutes later walked out with two five year licences. Total 2160 baht. Happy it's only once in five years.
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

Thanks for that........I have to do mine next month. :cheers:
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

I made the same in Pranburi. Did not need a medical cert., but all other things were the same.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I just did mine in Pranburi last week. I got there just after opening after lunch at 1pm. First were three tests, which I'm surprised dragonseeker didn't mention having to do (colour vision, depth perception, braking reaction). I had to watch the video, which seems to have improved over the one 5 years ago. Towards the end it included clips of car crashes from You Tube, and also a rather graphic one of a kissing couple being crushed by an out of control vehicle (I think this was a UK anti drunk driving TV ad) - lots of gasps from the audience.

My "class" was called out after 30 minutes to do form signing, paying and picture taking and licence printing, so we actually missed another video CD which an assistant had just loaded into the player. Cost breakdown for a 5 year car licence: 500 baht for licence, 5 baht for form, 100baht for actual licence (this 100 baht has a separate receipt and is from a private company, not dlt), total 605 baht. I guess bike licences are cheaper.

Total time spent in dlt Pranburi less than 1hour.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

hhinner wrote:I just did mine in Pranburi last week. I got there just after opening after lunch at 1pm. First were three tests, which I'm surprised dragonseeker didn't mention having to do (colour vision, depth perception, braking reaction). I had to watch the video, which seems to have improved over the one 5 years ago. Towards the end it included clips of car crashes from You Tube, and also a rather graphic one of a kissing couple being crushed by an out of control vehicle (I think this was a UK anti drunk driving TV ad) - lots of gasps from the audience.

My "class" was called out after 30 minutes to do form signing, paying and picture taking and licence printing, so we actually missed another video CD which an assistant had just loaded into the player. Cost breakdown for a 5 year car licence: 500 baht for licence, 5 baht for form, 100baht for actual licence (this 100 baht has a separate receipt and is from a private company, not dlt), total 605 baht. I guess bike licences are cheaper.

Total time spent in dlt Pranburi less than 1hour.
The bike licence is the same price (unless I was duped!)
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

Doesn't sound too bad. It's irritating that apparently some Immigrations Offices don't charge at all for the letter. In Jomtien, the procedure seems to be if you can wait a few weeks it's free, but if you want it sooner (same day?) there's a fee, but I think it's less than B500.

But, after living in Thailand a while, you get used to such inconveniences and learn not to fret too much. Just observe, acknowledge and move on. That's my version on "Mai pen rai."
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:
The bike licence is the same price (unless I was duped!)
Well, according to dragonseeker above, it was 960 baht for both. Car is 605 baht, so bike is 960 - 605 = 355. Is it not? :)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

In Panburi it is the same. My wife recently renewed both her licences and the licences were 500 each plus 200 baht for the photo card.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ So, either you were duped or dragonseeker got his cheap for some reason.

I've just had a look on Pantip (Thai forum) and it seems that the correct price is 500 for car, 250 for bike. Then add 105 baht for application and photo card for each and that's 960 baht.

Also items 18 and 22 in this link seem to confirm the price (sorry, it's in Thai).

I think you were duped. What's written on the receipts?