The SUV Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

I ordered the Pajero Sport top Model yesterday at MV. 3-4 months waiting time before I get the car. He said in December, but my experience tells me most likely January at the earliest. So for others considering buying waiting time is considerably due to the popularity of this model.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Buying a SUV?

Post by Bristolian »

^^ can I ask? What was the all in price?
I currently have a Fortuner as a company lease car and although I like the Fortuner I would probably not buy one myself. The Pajero seems to be a better alternative for quality of ride and rear space, with the seats folded away. I will seriously be considering a retirement purchase in the next 12 months or so.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Awu wrote:They have made a show room for the new Pajero at Market Village and I was there yesterday and looked at it.
It's really a new modell and it is quite nice but the rear end is actually a bit ugly, but I have seen pics with rear wing and that improves the look a lot.
Very comfy to sit in and the rear seats hides nice in the floor so 2 golf bags is no problem.
I have consider a lot what car to buy and it feels as I have decide to go for the new Pajero, most value for money compared to similar cars, 212.000 baht cheaper then Fortuner for topmodel and more nice features.

The only concern I have is about the Mitsu service in Hua Hin..
Some say Pranburi is ok, anyone experienced?

PS!
Neither Pajero or Fortuner is available for test drive yet, only for show and both only have the cheapest model for show :cry:
I get my current model Pajero Sport serviced at the Cha Am dealership and as far as I can tell they do a great job and always wash the car too. Most of the staff speak very little English, however the manager is quite fluent and good to deal with.

Regarding the new model, it's seems to be light years ahead of the old model in almost every aspect (apart from the rear end) and I'm seriously tempted to upgrade - I assume the deal they are offering on the top of the range model during September is valid even if delivery is 3-4 months.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Bristolian wrote:^^ can I ask? What was the all in price?
I currently have a Fortuner as a company lease car and although I like the Fortuner I would probably not buy one myself. The Pajero seems to be a better alternative for quality of ride and rear space, with the seats folded away. I will seriously be considering a retirement purchase in the next 12 months or so.
There's a special offer on the top of the Rangel model if ordered in September, down to 1,399,000 from I believe 1,450,000.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Nobody has commented on the Pajero turn with its Pick Up chassis - or is it better than other pic-ups, but with no test drive this is difficult to say?
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Dannie Boy wrote:
Bristolian wrote:^^ can I ask? What was the all in price?
There's a special offer on the top of the Rangel model if ordered in September, down to 1,399,000 from I believe 1,450,000.
Thanks DB, in my mind it's a serious contender for my next Urban Assault Vehicle :D. Unless someone has other contenders that can change my current view???
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Equipment wise it's a huge upgrade from the previous version. 8 speed automatic transmission to mention one! I like the Hondas too, but unfortunately you can't get a 7 seater crv or hrv. Compared to the new Fortuner, I would say that the Pajero is way ahead. I have a Fortuner Sportivo now, but am pretty sure the Pajero is a better choice. And as mentioned above, if you order now in September the price is 1,399,000 baht.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PET wrote:Nobody has commented on the Pajero turn with its Pick Up chassis - or is it better than other pic-ups, but with no test drive this is difficult to say?
Not from a test drive so probably a bit biased, but I picked this up on the Internet

The all-new Pajero Sport is a new-generation mid-size SUV developed to a "Stylish & Comfortable Off-road SUV" concept. A full-feature off-road SUV inheriting the best of the Pajero brand, the all-new Pajero Sport brings with it a refined and high-quality exterior design, high-quality vehicle performance and a comfortable interior, environmental performance on a par with the best in its class, and a comprehensive advanced safety features.

In its appearance, the all-new Pajero Sport uses the MMC's new "Dynamic Shield" front face design concept, a further evolution of the design nurtured in successive models of the Pajero series. The high-quality stylish design uses both sporty and dynamic elements to set it apart from conventional cross-country SUVs. The interior uses a high console proportion dashboard, as befits a larger SUV, while dynamically styled silver-finish ornamentation and sculpted seats add to its luxurious feel.

Handling stability, ride and quietness have all been improved through optimization of the suspension and improvements to the body mounts. In addition, the use of a new diesel engine and upgraded sound insulation provide a significant reduction in interior noise and this together with further upgraded comfortable seats and climate control system has achieved an interior space offering a higher level of comfort.

The all-new Pajero Sport is powered by a 2.4L MIVEC*2 turbo diesel engine (first for a Pajero Sport). Mated to a new 8-speed automatic transmission (first for a Mitsubishi model) developed for the all-new Pajero Sport, this powertrain returns a 17-percent improvement in fuel economy over its predecessor. It also achieves CO2 emissions of under 200 g/km which puts it into the lowest bracket of the new excise tax structure to be introduced in Thailand in January 2016.

The all-new Pajero Sport comes with a very comprehensive active and passive safety features. MMC's own RISE*3 impact safety body design and a total of seven SRS airbags provide occupants with outstanding passive safety. Active safety features include Forward Collision Mitigation system (FCM), the Blind Spot Warning system (BSW, a first on a Mitsubishi model) and the Ultrasonic misacceleration Mitigation System (UMS). In addition the all-new Pajero Sport is fitted with many advanced features which go well beyond what normally found in this class such as an electric parking brake (first on a Mitsubishi model), a Multi-around Monitor and fully automatic climate control allowing different temperatures to be set for driver and front seat passenger.

The all-new Pajero Sport uses a further-evolved version of MMC's own Super-Select 4WD-II four-wheel drive system. This is complemented by the new Off-road Mode (first on a Mitsubishi model), which gives even better all-terrain performance and stability as the road surface requires, and by Hill Descent Control (first on a Mitsubishi model). Together with its greater wading depth, all these features combine to provide the kind of bad road or flooded surface performance only to be found in the Pajero brand.

*2: Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control system
*3: Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PET wrote:Nobody has commented on the Pajero turn with its Pick Up chassis - or is it better than other pic-ups, but with no test drive this is difficult to say?
It dosen`t really have anything to do with the "Pick Up chassis", unless you consider the suspension as part of the "chassis".
The limiting factor of the turning circle with any 4WD "car", is the design of the front "tracta" joint, or swivel pin housing and / or universal joint. The length of the wheelbase, and the length of the body panels past the road wheel position also come into it.
I think that you will find that a 2WD car of any comparable car will have a better turning circle than it`s 4WD model.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

i KNOW THAT PICK UP VEHICLES TURNING CIRCLE IS MUCH LARGER THAN A SALOON CAR, SO WHEN I READ THE REPORT THAT SAID THE PAJERO STILL HAD THE MITSUBISHI PICK UP CHASSIS I LOOKED AT THE CRV 4WD AND IN TESTING THAT I FOUND IT TO BE LITTLE( IF ANY) DIFFERENT TO THE SALOON. THERE WAS NO PAJERO TO TEST LAST MONTH SO CRV 4WD PURCHASED.
HAVING SAID ALL THAT IF MY WIFE WAS NOT BY FAR THE MAIN USER IN OUR FAMILY I WAS IMPRESSED WITH THE PAJERO AND COULD WELL HAVE PURCHASED,
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

So I finally got my new car complete with red dealer plates. I now want to go on a trip and wife says can't go outside HH with red plates...WTF. Especially as the car was bought in Cha Am. Phoned the dealer who said the wife is wrong, I can drive anywhere but if stopped by cops outside of PKK I will be fined...WTF. So I ask when will I get my permanent plates... Answer.. Should be before December 4 months. WTF
Does anyone know the facts, how long does it take to get final plates? This is crazy
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
perfectvolley

Post by perfectvolley »

As I remember I was told the red plates should last for one months. I bought my car in BKK and then went directly to HH.
The problem with the red plates are you are only alloud to drive till 6 pm. That was a shock for me cause i never heard about such a rule. When I called my dealer after a month they send me the right plates and get the red ones back.
I know some people who drive even longer with the red ones because you only get the real once if you pay for the
tax. That is why some extent the red once for longer.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I've always assumed the process takes about one month, we bought our SUV 4 years ago and recollect that was about the time it took. Bikes could be different but we bought a PCX recently and it took almost exactly a month to get the new plates.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

When i bought my car, there was something in the glove compartment that I had to complete if I wanted to drive outside of province after 6pm. I never actually used it though. I'm sure you will have the same.

I'm fairly sure I had my red plates for 3 months.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

All somewhat confusing, checked for a form in the car, nothing. Does the form also allow use after 6pm?
Dealer is going to get back to me tomorrow about the plates no doubt with the usual Thai answer "No have". Had the car 7 weeks already.
I had red plates on my bike for 3 months but didn't worry as I was overseas.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali