The SUV Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Buying a SUV?

Post by Big Boy »

I know there are threads on here about it - I'll see if i can find one. It allowed use anytime, any place.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Here you go viewtopic.php?f=44&t=21054&p=262441

Frank Hovis answers it in the 4th post down I think.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Thanks for the other thread, lots of interesting posts however so many are contradictory. Maybe my posts should be moved.
I have contacted the dealer though my wife (as the dealer has no one who speaks English) and been told the following.
Plates "No Have" I almost fell over laughing when this was stated. I must wait for the plates, it can take "many months", cannot drive the car at night or out of PKK of may have problems with the police. The dealer will not provide me with the form for registering trips as this is for dealer use only. Dealer states nothing can be done must wait.
It takes longer to make and register the plates than it does to make the car. What a typical Thai stuff up.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^ I think that this is possibly down to the dealer. Last year I took possession of a Fortuner Urban Assault Vehicle (UAV) from a dealer in BKK. It took only 9 days before my plates were ready.

With car sales at a current low it can't be because too many cars are being registered.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

It takes longer to make and register the plates than it does to make the car. What a typical Thai stuff up.
Have you paid both the registration and Por Ror Bor? Or are they telling you that ihe fees are included in the purchase price?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Paid all the fees don't remember the names, but the fees for the registration was the last thing that was paid
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

StevePIraq wrote:Paid all the fees don't remember the names, but the fees for the registration was the last thing that was paid

So just maybe there is the answer. Registration was what, 15k or even 20k Baht. The dealer can put that in his pocket until it suits him. There should be a copy of the application that he has made to the DLT for the registration. If it was me I would be asking for that copy and take it to the DLT office in Cha Am. I doubt very much he has lodged it at all, but if he has they will have it there.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Good idea, that is the next step I will take, thanks for the info everyone, this really is a bloody pain
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I guess that this is another example of it being "not what you know, but who you know". Red plates driving around Mongolia!

http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/pickup- ... -travelled

The article is a report on the latest Mazda BT-50 pickup.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Collected my new Navara earlier this week and am expecting to wait two months before the plates arrive. I have been given the book that goes with the red plates (first time out of three cars and many bikes on red plates) Well impressed with Nissan Pranburi throughout, much more customer orientated than Toyota.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

There was a fairly positive article about the new Pajero Sport in The Nation yesterday. As I understand it, both Hua Hin and Cha Am showrooms will have the cars available for test drive later next week.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busines ... 69882.html
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Collected my Nissan X-Trail for Nissan Cha Am 27 July, ordered it one month prior, now after 11 weeks finally told to go to immigration to obtain letter, that done the dealer has applied to DLT in Cha Am, I am now told maybe three weeks to get plates.

This is a total incompetent Thai F*ck up with no customer service what so ever.

on another point a friend of mine also bought from Nissan Cha Am, three days ago after 10 months he finally got his plates.
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

Good thing about waiting a long time for your white plates is that the tax disc date starts only from when the white plates are issued.

Bought my car early March, tax disc issued mid May.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I went for a test drive in the new Pajero earlier this week and I must say I was very impressed with the way it drove. It certainly feels a bit more lively than the current Pajero and much quieter too, hardly any diesel rattle, especially when you get up to speed, plus the engine and 8 speed auto box runs at lower revs - at 100 kph it was showing 1700 rpm rather than 2000 in the old model. It also feels a lot more comfortable and the cabin definitely has a more upmarket feel than the old model. Add to that a host of safety and comfort features, and I've decided to buy one, the 4WD GT Premium. Regarding the looks, I think the front end looks very good, however the rear end might take a bit of getting used to, but then I won't be looking at that too often!!

Delivery is quoted for December, but let's see. As an aside, I asked the manager how long it would take to get the white plates and he said 30 days!!

If you're in the market for a new SUV, I would definitely recommend including the Pajero on your shortlist.
:cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I may not be far behind you. I hate to trade my current PJS though but 7 years is getting up there. I've put so much into it...heavy duty disks on front, drums off back and disks on, gas shocks and better springs, Alpine system with back seat video unit and power woofer, 18" wheels as 16" were standard in 2009...a whole bunch of stuff but all tasteful. :mrgreen: I do like the new models though and as you say Danny, better engine, trans, controls in steering wheel and again...a whole bunch of stuff.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Pajero S., the current one has been great and trouble free. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source