The SUV Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Re: Buying a SUV?

Post by Terry »

prcscct wrote:..................heavy duty disks on front, drums off back and disks on, gas shocks and better springs, Alpine system with back seat video unit and power woofer, 18" wheels as 16" were standard in 2009...a whole bunch of stuff but all tasteful..........:
Pete - it makes me wonder why you bought a truck in the first place........... :wink:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ To take the 2 Golden Retrievers for rides, they don't like pick-up's as their sunglasses blow off. :shock: :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

:lach:
Point Taken................
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I know a short test drive is hardly like real world living with a car, but I was really quite impressed with the improvements they have made, both technically and cosmetically and by all accounts, significantly more economical and much safer too!!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

prcscct wrote:^ To take the 2 Golden Retrievers for rides, they don't like pick-up's as their sunglasses blow off. :shock: :thumb: Pete :cheers:

And I'll bet they love the power woofer...
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

dtaai-maai wrote:
prcscct wrote:^ To take the 2 Golden Retrievers for rides, they don't like pick-up's as their sunglasses blow off. :shock: :thumb: Pete :cheers:

And I'll bet they love the power woofer...
Yes indeed, they really dig it. :dance:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

When I was having a look around Honda last week, I looked at a CRV, just out of curiosity and I was surprised to see that it had one of those American style foot operated parking brakes. I hadn't seen one of those since I last had a hire car in the States about 25 years ago and I forgotten that such a thing even existed. I imagine they're fine if you're used to it but if you're not, you're forever grabbing for lever that doesn't exist. Do any other manufacturers have that?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I remember a couple of hire cars that I had in the UK had that, but I can't remember which ones. Confused the hell out of me.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

The Accord is the same - primarily because the Accord and the CRV were both designed for the US market.

I've got used to the footbrake now, but must admit I prefer the old handbrake.

Having said that, Mrs. T's Captiva has one of those stupid electronic brakes. You get no sense of control with the thing. Instead, the vehicle has anti-rollback features.

Give me a manual shift car with a good old handbrake any day - unfortunately increasingly rare here. :roll:
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

The "foot" handbrake is common to many Mercedes Benz models although I think nowadays they are the electronic ones that release as you start to pull away.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It seems to be coming more common as the new Pajero has an electronic "handbrake" as did a Jeep Renegade that I hired in the UK this summer.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote:It seems to be coming more common as the new Pajero has an electronic "handbrake" as did a Jeep Renegade that I hired in the UK this summer.
Well, I had a late 1960`s Jeep Wagoneer last century, and it had a "foot operated parking brake". A stupid idea with a manual transmission.
Land Rover now have an "electric parking brake", but at least with an automatic gearbox it is not a problem.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Terry wrote:
I've got used to the footbrake now, but must admit I prefer the old handbrake.

Having said that, Mrs. T's Captiva has one of those stupid electronic brakes. You get no sense of control with the thing....
You can't use it as a crude "limited slip differential" either, an old trick where if you have a back wheel spinning in the mud, you just pull away with the handbrake on and it slows it down enough to put some torque to the other one. I showed that to a driver in Indonesia and he thought I was using black magic!
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Well - the Captiva is supposed to be All Wheel Drive but only engages the additional drive when necessary...........

Never tried it yet :roll:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Terry wrote:Well - the Captiva is supposed to be All Wheel Drive but only engages the additional drive when necessary...........

Never tried it yet :roll:
As is/was the Honda CRV. Export models of the CRV have a light or some kind of indicator that activates when the 4WD activates. I think there are photos/examples if you search CRV Australia. Local Thai use models don't, or at least didn't on the year model we had. It was an interesting discussion with the salesman as to why not, and it basically end with "Thais don't care..." :roll: Pete :cheers: