The SUV Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Buying a SUV?

Post by VincentD »

The 4WD system is why I got the X-trail over the CR-V. There is also a manual switch to choose your 4WD mode. I've used it in situations on a rubber plantation where the 2WD Vigo got stuck and have had no problems with it.
True, it's not a 'real' 4WD but does deal with everyday situations I sometimes run into.
Quite a comfortable small SUV too.
วินเชนท์
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The X-Trail is a totally different animal now. Neighbor has one and really likes it. Much bigger than previous model and I understand a lot of bells and whistles standard. I think both 2.0 and 2.4 gasoline, no diesel. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Yes, had a look at the showroom. It's now a 7 seater people carrier, not so much a utilitarian vehicle I was looking for at the time. Has basically the same engine in 4WD spec but less cubbyholes and not something I'd trade up to, given what I bought it for.
Still a nice motor, though. Thought they did have a diesel option?
วินเชนท์
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

VincentD wrote:Yes, had a look at the showroom. It's now a 7 seater people carrier, not so much a utilitarian vehicle I was looking for at the time. Has basically the same engine in 4WD spec but less cubbyholes and not something I'd trade up to, given what I bought it for.
Still a nice motor, though. Thought they did have a diesel option?
for some reason, the diesel engine is not an option in Thailand
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Actually I was hoping they would come out with something bigger than the CRV, along the lines of the size of the Ford Everest, Isuzu MU-7 etc. Not to be. :(

Honda set to launch new SUV in Thailand

...."The BR-V, which is smaller than the two Honda SUV models available in Thailand, the HR-V and CR-V, will fulfill Honda's aim of meeting Thai customer demand at all levels, he said."....

http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/74 ... n-thailand
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

SUV Convertible

Post by PeteC »

...and from Range Rover no less. :shock: What will they come up with next. However, it doesn't look too bad IMO. Pete :cheers:

2016 Range Rover Evoque Convertible revealed

http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/76 ... e-revealed
1358008.jpg
1358008.jpg (30.26 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: SUV Convertible

Post by Nereus »

Sacrilege!

There is nowhere to fit a winch, or hang a highlift jack. :cuss:

I suppose that the next thing will be that they are now made in China. :(
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I'm not sure that I'd really want one of these at any (reasonable) price, but definitely not at the expected 5 million baht if they do come to Thailand.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

And the price in the uk is 25,000 sterling. 1.3 million baht against 5 million bought here. Ridiculous.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:And the price in the uk is 25,000 sterling. 1.3 million baht against 5 million bought here. Ridiculous.
Not sure where you got that price from, I read in Autocar that it's going to be something like £47k, so that's why it's almost £100k in Thailand, but still ridiculous.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: SUV Convertible

Post by STEVE G »

Nereus wrote:Sacrilege!

There is nowhere to fit a winch, or hang a highlift jack. :cuss:

I suppose that the next thing will be that they are now made in China. :(
It's what used to be referred to in the UK as a Chelsea tractor:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... %20Tractor
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Dannie Boy wrote:
HHTel wrote:And the price in the uk is 25,000 sterling. 1.3 million baht against 5 million bought here. Ridiculous.
Not sure where you got that price from, I read in Autocar that it's going to be something like £47k, so that's why it's almost £100k in Thailand, but still ridiculous.
You're correct. I was looking at a different model.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Speaking of "Rover"... 2 Landrover models reaching end of life:

"So long and thanks for all the miles: 11 cars that will go extinct in 2016

Land Rover LR2

The LR2 (also known as the Freelander 2 in some parts of the globe) was positioned at the very bottom of the Land Rover lineup for years. It offered the all-terrain prowess that buyers expect from a Land Rover-badged SUV in a relatively compact package that was easy to maneuver around town and in crowded parking garages. Launched in 2006, it was one of the last vestiges from the era when Land Rover was sardined with Volvo, Aston Martin, Lincoln, and Jaguar under Ford’s Premier Automotive Group umbrella.

The LR2 has already been replaced by the Discovery Sport. Bigger and more luxurious than its predecessor, the Sport is the only model in its segment to offer space for seven passengers – and the winner of Digital Trends’ first SUV of the year award.
Honorable mention
Land Rover Defender

Presented in 1983, the Defender is a no-nonsense, function-over-form off-roader whose roots go back to the original Land Rover Series I that was launched in 1948. There’s a good chance you knew that already; this icon on four wheels no longer requires an introduction.

For over three decades the Defender has been tackling every obstacle Mother Nature can muster up with aplomb, but new regulations in the European Union have proven too tough for it to beat. Land Rover isn’t willing to invest in making the off-roader compliant with the latest round of safety and emissions norms, so the grim reaper is waiting at the gates of the Solihull factory in England.

Defender production might be extended until next April because demand has been unusually high this year, but Land Rover can’t legally take orders after December 31st of this year. And while the gap it will leave in the Land Rover lineup will eventually be filled, the Defender’s demise represents both the end of an era and the end of a market segment."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/long-tha ... 29579.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well I finally took delivery of my new Pajero Sport at the end of last week but due to a pre planned overseas trip I was not able to drive it any distance until yesterday. I must admit to being very happy with the car, it drives very well, is very quiet and very comfortable, so I'm sure it will turn out to be a good buy - a few photos attached.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (75.45 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (84.33 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (75.21 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^I finally got the same, but in grey which I had to wait for, but was able to lock in the price before the tax went up. What a big difference in so many categories as compared to my previous 2009 Pajero Sport. No pimping this one (much). I'm not even going to change the tires/wheels as they look and ride fine. 18" on it and can go up to 21" per the salesman if you want. The smaller diesel engine is a dream as compared to the knocking, rattling 3.2L that the old one had. Very pleased so far, fingers crossed>. Pete :cheers: