Which Pick-Up Truck?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
SPONSORS: Bike Rental Hua Hin
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Which Pick-Up Truck?

Post by STEVE G » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:41 pm

The selling point for me would be build quality and service...
Definitely, I bought my Hilux in 2005 and it's just had a couple of batteries, new tyres and windscreen wiper blades, and servicing but nothing has actually failed on it. It hasn't done huge mileage but it's pretty impressive reliability, I've left it sat for four months with the alarm on before and it still started straight away.

Nereus
Addict
Addict

Post by Nereus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:47 pm

Big Boy wrote:Additionally, I'm allowed 5 people in the back, so I have a 10 seater vehicle. Great for taking the dogs to the beach. The last thing anybody would call me is fashionable
I am a bit confused by this. How do you get 5 people in the "back"? I thought that you had a double, or dual cab, which has front bucket seats and a 3 place rear seat, making 5 seats.

The popularity is all to do with cost. There is a lower tax rate with these vehicles.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:06 pm

And Thai law permits up to 5 to ride in the back. At least, that was the announcement from the ministry of silly ideas back in April.
League 1 - Rotherham....1 Plymouth Argyle....1 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Points 21; Position 22

Nereus
Addict
Addict

Post by Nereus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:26 pm

Big Boy wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:06 pm
And Thai law permits up to 5 to ride in the back. At least, that was the announcement from the ministry of silly ideas back in April.
Was that before or after they banned ALL from riding in the back? They also have a seat belt law, so how is that applied?

My ancient Land Rover is registered as 7 seats. The 2 extra seats were(I have removed them) only suitable for kids really, but they did have seat belts. The latest ones have 7 adult sized seats with belts.

The ancient Isuzu is a double cab with a rear canopy. Was like that when I bought it, but does not have seats. The canopy is what they refer to as a "carry boy", the same height as the cab. Just went to renew the road tax and was informed: "oh, you have canopy, have to inspect", and can only be done at the DLT inspection station. So along to there where all they did was look at the chassis number! No emission test or brake test. My daughter said she was told it would cost more, but nothing changed.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!

PeteC

Post by PeteC » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:36 pm

I remember reading they scrapped that "no riding in the back" law completely after an up-country uprising of complaints? Probably more accurate to say "a delay in implementation" which probably means we'll never hear about it again. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:41 pm

I don't think it helped that they tried to bring in the ban about a week before everyone wanted to get home for Songkran!

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:41 pm

Nereus wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:26 pm
Big Boy wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:06 pm
Was that before or after they banned ALL from riding in the back? They also have a seat belt law, so how is that applied?
That was after they banned ALL from riding in the back. Public opinion prevailed as Songkran approached. They said it would be reviewed at a later date - still waiting.
League 1 - Rotherham....1 Plymouth Argyle....1 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Points 21; Position 22