The bikers thread; trips, news, chat, all things motorcycle

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

The bikers thread; trips, news, chat, all things motorcycle

Post by Ginjaninja »

Hi all,
I've just joined the forum but have been staying in H.H. on and off for a few years now.
Looking for some biking tips from anyone that can help. Really just some good runs where I can avoid the congestion and poor driving. Even better if someone is up for a run with me.
I have a 650 Ninja although quite inexperienced on the road.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Ginjaninja.
buksida

Re: Biking tips

Post by buksida »

I would get out of Hua Hin completely and head south, there are some great roads through Sam Roi Yod. The further south you go the better it gets, the road from Chumphon to Ranong is a bikers dream.

I'd be up for a ride, on a CBR250 myself.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

buksida wrote:I would get out of Hua Hin completely and head south, there are some great roads through Sam Roi Yod. The further south you go the better it gets, the road from Chumphon to Ranong is a bikers dream.

I'd be up for a ride, on a CBR250 myself.
There are plenty of great rides out and about Hua Hin and I agree the Chumphon to Ranong is an awesome ride, but it's not a good idea for a novice to try it alone.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Buksida let me know when you're free.......???
Anyone else up for it?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Get posting (7 more) and you'll have access to PMs (private messages), its easier to arrange that way.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Thanks for the advice guys.... will try out Sam Roi Yod this week as the weather appears to be staying good.
Cheers,
GN.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Well made it down to Sam Roi Yot National park yesterday and must admit the scenery was very impressive.
I stayed on Petchkasem road all the way to Kui Buri then took a left to the coast from there. My plan was to continue to Prachuap Khiri Khan and head back to Hua Hin along the coastal road however the weather turned sour and I had also left my journey too late in the evening. Staying on Petchkasem road meant I traversed the coast a lot quicker however the road itself sucks for biking...... too many outside lane hoggers and fatal u-turns.
The Sam Roi Yot area is filled with farmland and beautiful rocky outcrops (I want to write mountains for lack of a better description...). I headed straight to the coast and found a little fishing village hosting the entrance of 'Sai cave' (I think this is the name). If if wasn't so late in the day I would have ventured for a look... can't imagine the heat inside with my leathers on.
From Sai cave I headed back to Pran Buri along the coast. The roads were relatively quiet and I only had one Honda Jazz pull out on to the road without looking. I think they got the message when I matched their pace and gave the old fingers to the eyes and head gesture.
When I reached Pran Buri I took a wrong turn just as the weather completely turned and I took an unexpected detour. Consequently I ended up heading back to H.H. along Petchkasem road and not the coastal route.

Lessons learnt:
Secure my Silva compass to my handlebars if not taking the the tank bag.
Two piece synthetic leathers and not exactly waterproof. Do you get waterproof drawers?
Dirty patches on the road may well be large pot-holes and not to be taken at 100kph+.

Anyway... it was enjoyable none the less and I hope to head further south next time and make a day of it. Hope someone else can join me.
Regards,
GN.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Great ride report, just did Bangsaphan to Hua Hin, the highway is hellish but they're finally re-surfacing some of it just north of the Prachuab intersection.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Buksida... fancy a quick afternoon blast? I'm heading to Pattaya this weekend so won't manage out till next week after today.
We could meet at say Starbucks Market Village at 14:00 or a time that suits you....??? Maybe you won't check the forum till after this.
Cheers,
GN.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

I was down in Tung Wa Laen last week, went down the highway, but came back up sticking to the coast until Bangsaphan, great ride, but as you say the highway is pretty bad.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Dozer, you up for a run this afternoon?
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

At work today, unfortunately. I don't get much time, so most of my rides are spur of the moment things and therefore it suits me better to ride alone.

buksida

Post by buksida »

Bit short notice mate, got a bit of work to do today, will be riding at the weekend thou!
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Weekend is out for me.....
Next week then.
8)
JamesOB
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JamesOB »

GN,

Let me know when you are out for a ride. I have a heavy old 250 cafe racer so prefer a slower pace.