What exactly is the motorcycle Helmet Law in Thailand

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: What exactly is the motorcycle Helmet Law in Thailand

Post by HHTel »

I agree!!!

'Army' you are talking rubbish. I've been here 11 years in Hua Hin and never been singled out because I'm 'not thai'.
old man
Amateur
Amateur

Post by old man »

Ive been pulled out for not being thai--helmet on thai license the full works wife on back same--4 thais on bike behind no helmets waved though while I got full check all o/k so if they not pick on falangs --what was this
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sorry, old man, I can't give an answer to your incident if true. In 13 years, it's never happened to me or my 'farang' family here. Quite the opposite in many cases. Queues of Thai's at the side of the road waiting to be processed and I've been waved on.

Maybe you look suspicious!!...lol
old man
Amateur
Amateur

Post by old man »

It is true happen top of hill soi 88 just as you start long straight do not imply it is not true as you were not there and my wife was I pointed out the 4 thais to officer and he said we only check falangs today looking for ones on holiday with no licence--how the hell do you look suspicious riding bike with wife please engage brain before making posts
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'm not entirely sure why you are so incensed about this. They were checking for farang without a licence, so they were stopping farang. There's a surprising logic to that. You had the correct papers and were waved on. There were no trumped up charges to get some tea money. Where's the problem?
This is the way
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Sometimes a law is brought in so that the idiots are forced to do what any sensible person would do. Ie have your bike properly maintained with front and BACK lights working. Wear the proper gear, not only a helmet but shoes and clothing appropriate for the the journey your undertaking. Remembering at all times car drivers will sooner or later forget to look out for you. Finally remember to always cancel your indicators, if you see a car driver flashing his lights at you --- it's me , you've left your indicators on.

After I had sat my motorbike test I felt it made me a safer car driver, I now take more time at give ways to have a proper look, so many cars have serious blind spots.
old man
Amateur
Amateur

Post by old man »

No problem with me the problem is with you--you rubbish one blogger because it not happen to you then you imply my blog not true so do everything have to happen to you for it to be true
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

old man wrote:No problem with me the problem is with you--you rubbish one blogger because it not happen to you then you imply my blog not true so do everything have to happen to you for it to be true
It would really help if you could speak a little more clearly so we can understand and appreciate your predicament.

If you could use English in your argument, that'd be a plus too. Bar girl Tinglish doesn't make any sense to me.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Ridiculing someone for posting it what maybe a second language is just low. :tsk:

I don't know why everyone is jumping on this guy, it is a tourist town, of course the police are going to target farangs. There are more of them that are unlikely to have the correct license so its more money in the teapot.

Hua Hin has become a police state, last time I was there I counted 7 separate road blocks/police stops in the same day, go to Petchaburi or Prachuap and you'll be lucky to encounter one.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I never worry about being stopped in my car in Hua Hin. The officers have always been very courteous, and so long as everything is in order, it's normally a salute and I'm on my way again.

If I'm doing something wrong, then it's only right that, if caught, I pay the punishment.

The only times I've been scammed by corrupt BIB is away from Hua Hin.

Hua Hin police don't have to scam. Locals and tourists regularly break the law. making it very easy for them to make their money legally(ish).

One thing I did see 2 weeks ago that I thought was totally wrong though. We were queuing for a road block on the way back into town after being to the vet hospital. I was laughing at the stupidity of people riding their motorcycles (some with helmets in their baskets), not wearing helmets into the waiting police trap. Then a guy in army uniform rode by with no helmet. I laughed about there goes another victim. Mrs BB said, "No, he's OK - soldiers don't need helmets." Sure enough, he wasn't stopped :? .

:idea: Does this mean BIB (who often ride wearing baseball caps) and military are so thick, their heads don't need protection?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

buksida wrote:Ridiculing someone for posting it what maybe a second language is just low. :tsk:

I don't know why everyone is jumping on this guy, it is a tourist town, of course the police are going to target farangs. There are more of them that are unlikely to have the correct license so its more money in the teapot.

Hua Hin has become a police state, last time I was there I counted 7 separate road blocks/police stops in the same day, go to Petchaburi or Prachuap and you'll be lucky to encounter one.
:agree:
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

old man wrote:Ive been pulled out for not being thai--helmet on thai license the full works wife on back same--4 thais on bike behind no helmets waved though while I got full check all o/k so if they not pick on falangs --what was this
I think they just target foreigners more often because they think foreigners have more money than Thais.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

old man wrote:It is true happen top of hill soi 88 just as you start long straight do not imply it is not true as you were not there and my wife was I pointed out the 4 thais to officer and he said we only check falangs today looking for ones on holiday with no licence--how the hell do you look suspicious riding bike with wife please engage brain before making posts
My, you are touchy. I said 'if true' because some people's perception is flawed. The 'suspicious' part was a joke as evidenced by the 'lol'

Sometimes one's own paranoia clouds their judgement of the situation as you have shown here. Nobody was picking on you until you started the 'attack'.

Enjoy life. It's easier to be happy than miserable!!
old man
Amateur
Amateur

Post by old man »

You started the attack with rubbish comment on armycw4ret and I was only agreeing with some of it.Now you say I suffer from delusions I think you forget previous comment you made.You came across as if it not happen to you it not true ITS GOOD HERE ENJOY EVERY SECOND--
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The post from 'army' was completely different. He was saying that the law only applies to farangs and not thais - rubbish. Also pointing out that we are a 'guest' in this country - again rubbish. We are far from being 'guests'. Guests are invited and made welcome. We jump through hoops to stay here. We can only stay here at the immigration dept's discretion. Don't get me wrong. I love this country but I pay to be here.

I never said that if it doesn't happen to me then it can't be true. I did say that I've not heard of your experience happening to anyone else. Just relating my own experiences as you were relating yours.