Red plates - just a thought

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Red plates - just a thought

Post by Big Boy »

That would probably see quite a few admin jobs gone, which doesn't really seem to be the Thai way.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

As the OP I have no objection to earlier posts resurfacing and if any OP's opinion had changed then surely that is their right. I was interested to note that while reference is made to completing the registration process within a month nothing was said about the restrictions that apply to a vehicle on red plates (not driven during the hours of darkness or restriction on use in a different province). I now have a standard response when friends ask about Thailands poor safety record, "virtually no enforcement of basic traffic laws" and this also applies to red plate use too.
I suspect any enforcement will only serve to line certain pockets.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The 'red plate' is really only a dealership plate that is supposed to be for the use of the dealership in transporting the vehicle. Back in the day, it did take time to get a white (or other colour) plate, so the rules were bent a bit to the point that there even were 'counterfeit red plates' as the dealership couldn't keep up. These days, you can get a white plate in a day if you are not fussy and will take whatever number is available. A lot of people, however, want special plates and these take longer to process, even though it is an online process. (I know because my son wanted a special auspicious number :roll: ) When I got my first car here back in 1992 the 6 am to 6 pm rule was quite strictly enforced, if anything because it would add to the monthly BIB beer fund.

It won't go away anytime soon as people want instant gratification; that is, I want to drive my car three minutes after it is delivered to the showroom, not wanting to wait for the paperwork to be processed. Oh, and yes, to avoid paying road tax on the white plate for as long as possible. Major offenders are those expensive Benz vans, H1's et al and they do get away with it.

Having said that, there are still quite a few on the road with no number plates and the offenders tend to be those whose job it is to enforce it. :shock: :roll:
วินเชนท์