Thailand's 7 deadly days on the road 2014/15

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: Thailand's 7 deadly days on the road 2014/15

Post by usual suspect »

Maybe..just maybe the General may introduce some tough form of policing on the roads here...?
IMO two main issues would get the Thai drivers attention...
*Instant vehicle confiscation. (Towed away, & held till the driver has paid up or served sentance...this will hit Somchai hard because he'll be paying monthly payments for it).
* No waivering of traffic laws due to the driver being a Hi-So...if he's speeding, double-parking, bullying other drivers in his Fortuner..it gets towed away, & he gets the bus home..no matter who his father is..end of!
But of course the missing link in all of the above is a Police force willing to do any policing..TiT.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I was in the US recently. I needed to cross a busy road. I stood on the kerb at a pedestrian crossing waiting for a break as I was in no hurry. The kerb sloped towards the road and accidentally I stepped forward and put one foot on the roadway--IMMEDIATELY traffic in both directions came to a stop and both leading car drivers waved me across. Everyday in the US, but it really impressed me. When I mentioned it to American friends they said--Of course they stopped, you have right of way on a crossing.
Another story-- The premier (PM) of Ontario was stopped for speeding one summer while at his summer cottage. , When the cop approached the cop looked uncomfortable- but the premier said --Officer, do your duty. The story went viral and the PMs popularity rose enormously. I have told several Thais that story--none of them understand it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The same thing would happen in the UK as well.

Interestlingy, I glanced towards the TV, where Mrs BB had Thai TV playing 2 days ago. On there was a road safety cartoon (that in itself was a first for me). I didn't understand much of the narrative, but the animation was good enough. It showed a pedestrian stepping onto a pedestrian crossing as a car approached. Of course the car stopped, It was clear to me that they were advocating the same rules apply here.

The above was good, but have you ever tried to give way to anybody in Thailand, whether it be on a pedestrian crossing or just letting a vehicle turn right in front of you - it is very dangerous, to the extent that I will not do it. What the animation doesn't show is the several motorcycles that will be on your blind side, and will never stop. These motorcycliss are nearly always there, and I fear giving way will result in serious injury to both motorcyclist and pedestrian.

I was a very courteous driver in the UK, but I had to adapt quickly for safety reasons here. I will only give way if I am sure there are no motorcyclists about.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

How true BB... Sad that actually doing the correct thing will cause an accident and injuries to the others around you....
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

BB you are absolutely right. ADAPT cos it 'aint gonna change.......TIT
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Only motorbikes ? take a look at this.

:cheers: :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, we don't need to go to Pattaya to see that. Just stand outside of Bangkok Hospital - I usually find myself sat there with cars and bikes leaving me as the only vehicle waiting there ......................... to save what? 60 seconds at best - sad people. I will say though that it isn't quite as bad as it used to be there.

However, that is not the same scenario being discussed. I'm talking about giving way to pedestrians/turning traffic. It will be exceptional for another car to try to pass me, but almost mandatory for bikes.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

ok ,just thought the thread was about Thailand's 7 deadly days on the road 2014/15

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It was, but that was 4 months ago. The thread has moved on.

Points 48; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I consider myself to be a very safe driver and use my rear view/wing mirrors continuously, but even so I got caught out last night on my way into HH and had an idiot in a pick up pass very close on the inside doing more than 120 and caused a natural reaction for me to move slightly to the right, just as another pick up passed on the outside (I suspect they were racing each other). We weren't that close to it becoming an accident, but it wouldn't have taken much for it to have turned out a lot worse. Take care!!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Well MIB do pull in Thai m/c drivers now and again and guess what for in this case :banghead: :banghead:

http://thedurian.co/5-kids-on-a-bike-pu ... -what-for/
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This article states that the average is 71 killed each and every day. Let's see what they publish as averages for these "dangerous" days coming up. I think no real difference. Pete

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/04/06/n ... rous-roads
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Just to show it is not just here that laws are ignored. I have been reading an Rticle n the UK cycling active magazine where the author states that he often ignores red lights. Probably gets away with it all the time as well. I wonder how long he would last here once against the big boys who don't give a s#*t about any other road user.
I did stop to let an old lady across the road as I was coming from the station to the crossing roundabout just before entering it. Made sure it was clear and slanted across the road so no bikes could cut up the inside. Old dear across safely, nobody rear ended me and good deed done for the day.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Songkran death toll climbs to 59
Death toll from road accidents now rose to 59 in two days of the seven-day dangerous period starting from April 9-15.

The Road Safety Directing Centre said 34 people were killed on the second day of the campaign to reduce road mishaps during the seven-day dangerous period.

This raised to a total of 59 deaths in two days.

The centre spokesman Pol Lt Gen Suveera Songmetta said there were 399 road accidents yesterday with 417 injuries and 34 deaths.

In total, he said there were 723 accidents, 765 injuries and 59 deaths in two days.

Nakhon Ratchasima came top with 36 accidents, 40 injuries and six deaths.

Drunk driving remains the main cause of fatal accidents.

Compared with last year’s casualties in the two day period, this year’s death toll and injuries dropped by 45 and 128 people respectively.

He also said most accidents happened between 4.00 pm and 8.00 pm.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/songkr ... imbs-to-59
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

seems there are different numbers around,but it looks from these figures that its more safe to drive in songkran than it is on a average day :?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 02066.html
http://asiancorrespondent.com/119892/st ... the-world/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... death_rate