Police checkpoints in Hua Hin

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Police checkpoints in Hua Hin

Post by caller »

He tries to be.
Talk is cheap
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Less than 1,000 baht in the 13 years I've been living here, and on each occasion I have been in the wrong. I honestly don't think I have the right to complain.

During a recent trip and a short stay in Ranong, I noticed the police there are way stricter than the are here, so really guys, count your blessings.

As far drink driving is concerned, they are getting stricter, but I'm sure most will agree that's a good thing.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Drove back, and forth, to Bang Saphan twice this past two weeks and along the way came to many stops, from Cha Am to Bang Saphan.

Lot's of Thais pulled over. When I approach the officer I unwind the window and give him a big "Sawadee Khrap"

In all cases, but one, just waved on with a return nod, sawadee khrap, or quick bow. One stop cutting across from the bypass to Cha Am got a real hard stare from the cop, no response to my greeting. He looked hard around the truck cab and back seat (didn't pull us over to the side though) and waved us on.

While up to now our visits have been once a year, we have driven a lot all around Thailand in that time. Many stops but never pulled over, nor fined.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Army checkpoint on Pattana 2 this morning just before Soi 102 junction when travelling from Soi 94
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've been through 2 check points this morning - plenty of Lemming-like non-helmet wearers to more than satisfy the thirst for tea; probably a bit left over for a drop of whisky as well. :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

If they did it every day, maybe people would start wearing their helmets. There's a new law coming out soon that no-one under the age of 6 years old is allowed to be a passenger on a motorbike (or driving it... for the folk up in Isaan). One can only hope they enforce such a rule.

Unrelated to the topic is a new rule coming out that... if you are a westerner, have a Thai girlfriend half your age, exhibit the signs of a beer belly and wear a singlet - you will instantly be shot. Will probably not be enforced either.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

GLCQuantum wrote:If they did it every day, maybe people would start wearing their helmets.
They are (hence the OP) and they aren't.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote:If they did it every day, maybe people would start wearing their helmets.
They are (hence the OP) and they aren't.
The only way they'd get it to work is to increase the fine to say 1000 baht and enforce it, then you'd get most people to comply.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

GLCQuantum wrote:If they did it every day, maybe people would start wearing their helmets. There's a new law coming out soon that no-one under the age of 6 years old is allowed to be a passenger on a motorbike (or driving it... for the folk up in Isaan). One can only hope they enforce such a rule.

Unrelated to the topic is a new rule coming out that... if you are a westerner, have a Thai girlfriend half your age, exhibit the signs of a beer belly and wear a singlet - you will instantly be shot. Will probably not be enforced either.

I fit all the catagories above, except for the singlet but that's because I have to Google it right now to find out what one is. I am crossing my fingers for good luck!
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

Seem to be getting pulled over on my scooter every time I head to Market Village. Even twice sometimes as I have to do a u turn to head back south after leaving. Doesn't worry me too much as I always wear a helmet and have the correct licence etc. I just pull over as a matter of fact now as I just know they are going to pull the farang over. Yesterday, going both ways, the Police were very friendly and neither bothered to look at my licence. One even seemed to recognise me and shook my hand. Not sure what's going on there. I've got no probs with this, especially as they are not harrassing drivers that are complying with the rules. Maybe because I'm ex Police, I'm a tad biased..
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I got pulled over at the school. "Licence?" I asked. "No" was the reply. "Like your motorsy. Suay!".
Then sent me on my way!!
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

i just say "these aren't the droids you're looking for..." and they let me go...

I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Strangest thing last week when pulled over just outside MV. I had my helmet on and was just getting my wallet out to produce my license, as requested, when the officer pointed at a nasty graze on my arm, the result of a low-speed disagreement with a sharp bend at the top of Soi 88 two days earlier.
"Accident"? he asked.
"Yes", I replied, pointing to the revised paint job on the right side of my moped.
"OK", he said and simply waved me through without even wanting to see if I had a license at all. I still can't figure out why.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
l112a6

Post by l112a6 »

These checkpoints must be at very selective times as I go to MV nearly everyday in the car or on the bike and not once noticed police pulling anyone over.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I dont come to HH that often anymore but I usually get stopped pretty much every time I'm there, on occasion more than once in the same day.

Farang + big bike is like a magnet for them, anywhere else in the country they just want to look at the bike! From an observation standpoint Hua Hin does seem to have more police than any other town in Thailand. :shock:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson