Police checkpoints in Hua Hin

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Police checkpoints in Hua Hin

Post by HHTel »

We do! See my post above.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

How are the points allocated? How can we see how many we have accumulated?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've no idea. I do remember in the police station in BKK they were discussing what to do with penalty points when the driver has a foreign licence.
I can find some details of the points system on Google but not enough detail to show how it works in reality.
I read one story where somebody reported getting 50 points for running a red light.
Maybe a cop would know!!!!!
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

I have also never heard of this point system either, it would be interesting to find an official source.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I can't find an 'official' source to this but mentioned on many sites. Several stories about drivers being awarded penalty points (including myself). Apparently it came into effect in January 2002 and amended in 2006. Here's one example of it being used:
Next day my friend went to the Police station so face the music. The fine was 500& total and he was told to collect his license in 15 days.

He was also told he would 'lose' 40 points.
I was told at a BKK police station that it would cost me 30 points but I didn't have a Thai licence.

Maybe it's gone the same way as many other laws!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My son was involved in a fairly serious accident. Even when it went to court, there was no mention of points

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

A little off topic but related. I was unfortunate to be in the same room as my wife last night watching a Thai 'soap'. Watched it for around half an hour. In that time, I never saw one motorcyclist wearing a helmet and no car driver with a seat belt. There were 2 scenes in which a female was given a good slap. The soap is set in the 'upper classes'. It's apparently a very popular soap and people see these TV situations as role models. Is there any wonder why locals don't follow the law as they should.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

HHTel wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:50 pm I can't find an 'official' source to this but mentioned on many sites. Several stories about drivers being awarded penalty points (including myself). Apparently it came into effect in January 2002 and amended in 2006. Here's one example of it being used:
Next day my friend went to the Police station so face the music. The fine was 500& total and he was told to collect his license in 15 days.

He was also told he would 'lose' 40 points.
I was told at a BKK police station that it would cost me 30 points but I didn't have a Thai licence.

Maybe it's gone the same way as many other laws!
Living in Hua Hin riding a motorbike,scooter or driving a car, police check points are inevitable, if they think you have violated the law just pay, or the if the fine bothers you have a few less beers to cover it! Its par for the course here, don't get worked up too much about this point system, even if it's true paying on the spot beats getting points the 3 strikes and your out like uk :)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I agree. In HH I believe there's always the option of paying 'on the spot'. However, there are places, especially in BKK, where that isn't an option and a ticket is issued that has to be paid at the police station. That was the case with me. I was issued a ticket and there was no compromise, which is why I finished up at the police station to retrieve my licence etc...
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Yes agree , with regards to BKK, in mid 90,s Mrs. and I on our way back to Hua Hin turned left into toll booth near Sathorn Road, while I was handing toll fee over, BIB walked up and gestured to park to the side, he then snapped license, at the time I had uk license and valid uk international permit and showed him, he just looked at me and snapped Thai license showing no interest in my documents, I politely said I not have, he then snapped no Thai license come to station, he stared at me and I just stared back saying nothing, he then walked away into his kiosk to make call I think, I thought here we go, he then walked back to car and as I was just about to get wallet out, he just snapped go and waved me on. Never could figure that situation out, though thinking back its probably standing your ground without be confrontational, or challenging them.
albaker

Post by albaker »

:agree:
Big Boy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:35 am A farang gets killed/injured, it's reported everywhere - bad publicity. How many times do we hear of a Farang struggling because they were injured riding a motorcycle they weren't insured to ride in the first place.

Yes, Thais do it every day, but it doesn't attract the same bad publicity.

It doesn't make it right, just trying to explain Thai logic. They need tourism.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

johnjar wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:34 am Yes agree , with regards to BKK, in mid 90,s Mrs. and I on our way back to Hua Hin turned left into toll booth near Sathorn Road, while I was handing toll fee over, BIB walked up and gestured to park to the side, he then snapped license, at the time I had uk license and valid uk international permit and showed him, he just looked at me and snapped Thai license showing no interest in my documents, I politely said I not have, he then snapped no Thai license come to station, he stared at me and I just stared back saying nothing, he then walked away into his kiosk to make call I think, I thought here we go, he then walked back to car and as I was just about to get wallet out, he just snapped go and waved me on. Never could figure that situation out, though thinking back its probably standing your ground without be confrontational, or challenging them.
Agree. Do you think also people of a certain age will not be harassed as much as guys in their 20s or 30s? And motor bikes are harassed more than cars?

I take a friendly and calm but world-weary approach to them with a lot of direct eye contact, and have not even been threatened with a fine after my first tentative effort where I parted company with 200 Baht because I had actually had a two beers. :)

And the number of road blocks on Petch Road has definitely reduced from a few months ago, maybe following the lead of BKK?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The first thing I do when I'm stopped is turn my dashcam right on them. The best reaction I ever had to that was in Cha-Am, where I've found the BIB to have an extremely vivid imagination. They hate it.

Points 41; Position 18
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

404cameljockey wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:26 am
johnjar wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:34 am Yes agree , with regards to BKK, in mid 90,s Mrs. and I on our way back to Hua Hin turned left into toll booth near Sathorn Road, while I was handing toll fee over, BIB walked up and gestured to park to the side, he then snapped license, at the time I had uk license and valid uk international permit and showed him, he just looked at me and snapped Thai license showing no interest in my documents, I politely said I not have, he then snapped no Thai license come to station, he stared at me and I just stared back saying nothing, he then walked away into his kiosk to make call I think, I thought here we go, he then walked back to car and as I was just about to get wallet out, he just snapped go and waved me on. Never could figure that situation out, though thinking back its probably standing your ground without be confrontational, or challenging them.
Agree. Do you think also people of a certain age will not be harassed as much as guys in their 20s or 30s? And motor bikes are harassed more than cars?

I take a friendly and calm but world-weary approach to them with a lot of direct eye contact, and have not even been threatened with a fine after my first tentative effort where I parted company with 200 Baht because I had actually had a two beers. :)

And the number of road blocks on Petch Road has definitely reduced from a few months ago, maybe following the lead of BKK?
Yes I do! Probably likely trying to intimidate the younger blokes, and reckon us old buggers, they know have been around the block a few times will not put up with anyone taking liberties, another thing is Thai people respect older people in general including MIB’s and your exactly spot on “I take a friendly and calm but world-weary approach to them with a lot of direct eye contact” like the old Mexican standoff :)
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:42 am The first thing I do when I'm stopped is turn my dashcam right on them. The best reaction I ever had to that was in Cha-Am, where I've found the BIB to have an extremely vivid imagination. They hate it.
Cool. The dascham I've bought and am waiting on unclips from its magnetic base and will carry on recording for 3 minutes without power. I'll be turning the evil eye on them myself if I have bother! :)