The ever-improving state of Hua Hin's roads

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Re: The ever-improving state of Hua Hin's roads

Post by johnjar »

What amazes me is they resurface a very nice road, then 6 months later start digging it up again, putting in drains or whatever, then end up with pot holes and bumps the same as before..This is not unique here it happens everywhere :)
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

johnjar wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:50 pm What amazes me is they resurface a very nice road, then 6 months later start digging it up again, putting in drains or whatever, then end up with pot holes and bumps the same as before..This is not unique here it happens everywhere :)
Especially Aberdeen,apart from the fact that the roads are not "nice" in the first place.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

That is coordination and never seems to happen anywhere in the world with regards to roads and services.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Less than 1 month after laying a lovely smooth new surface at the Chomsin rail crossing..they're tonight digging a trench across to ( I presume) lay the power cable for the new barrier that's gonna be fitted (the foundation/anchor bolts have just been done)... Why O why could they not dig the trench & lay the cable beforehand..?? :banghead:
I thought stunts like this were reserved for the numpties employed by Yorkshire Water in the UK.. :?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

There is a budget for roads and if the yearly budget is not spent they get less the next year, hence, they do the same thing over and over to get more money to do the same thing over and over. Thai logic.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:35 am There is a budget for roads and if the yearly budget is not spent they get less the next year, hence, they do the same thing over and over to get more money to do the same thing over and over. Thai logic.
Thai logic? At the end of the financial year, every government department in the UK that hasn't already overspent does the same. Paperclip stocks soar.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:agree:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Wonder if they'll continue resurfacing Phetkasem road. The've stopped just short of the bit where I keep hitting the big bump between the school and Soi 88 on my motorcycle.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:24 amThai logic? At the end of the financial year, every government department in the UK that hasn't already overspent does the same. Paperclip stocks soar.
That used to be the case in the Govt. Department I worked for but it changed when we gained agency status. Likewise, it used to be the case in the local authority I subsequently moved to but that changed many years ago and budgets could be and were carried forward after we were all designated as individual business units. It was a actually a bonus being able to do so, as it enabled far better planning knowing you wouldn't have the spend it or lose it splurge. And quelle surprise, it saved money.
Talk is cheap
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

usual suspect wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:16 am Less than 1 month after laying a lovely smooth new surface at the Chomsin rail crossing..they're tonight digging a trench across to ( I presume) lay the power cable for the new barrier that's gonna be fitted (the foundation/anchor bolts have just been done)... Why O why could they not dig the trench & lay the cable beforehand..?? :banghead:
I thought stunts like this were reserved for the numpties employed by Yorkshire Water in the UK.. :?
The simple answer is to install spare conduits at all intersections, that way there is no need to dig up for a long time. It can be done but needs coordination.

Regardless of this one little issue many roads are substantially better than 2 years ago.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

StevePIraq wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:09 pm Regardless of this one little issue many roads are substantially better than 2 years ago.
:agree: with the exception of Soi 88, where they always seem to leave just enough damaged areas to inconvenience drivers.

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:00 pm
StevePIraq wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:09 pm Regardless of this one little issue many roads are substantially better than 2 years ago.
:agree: with the exception of Soi 88, where they always seem to leave just enough damaged areas to inconvenience drivers.
Same with Soi 58, between Canal Rd. and the tracks.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I eat my words :oops: . I drove Soi 88 both ways yesterday, as I do most Tuesdays, and it was quite a smooth ride apart from the last 2 yards where it turned into the surface of the moon.

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, I often use Soi 88 to get into town from Nong Khon and it's in pretty good condition at the moment.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I said many are improved, I didn't say all, and all the roads will never be in an equal state. Anyone can pick somewhere things are not right. Look on the bright side, the roads are much better now.