The ever-improving state of Hua Hin's roads

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

The ever-improving state of Hua Hin's roads

Post by GLCQuantum »

[Mod Edit] Moved here from weather thread.

I don't understand why they can't stop temporary flooding in Hua Hin. The only reason there could be is that... when given a chunk of change to fix it - most of it goes in 'Hua Hin Big People' people's pockets. Or maybe there's another reason.

Where I am now, a place surrounded by nature and rivers, people talk about the great flood of '47...
1900bkkcanal.jpg
1900bkkcanal.jpg (107.98 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
1947-ban-pong-ratchaburi-flooding.jpg
1947-ban-pong-ratchaburi-flooding.jpg (180.29 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
Yet now, almost 70 years later, after a few very heavy downpours that I've witnessed recently (this afternoon being one - 2 hour heavy downpour) - nothing remains. I mean nothing. Not even a puddle (*WARNING* POSSIBLE EXAGGERATION MAY HAVE OCCURRED). The place remains like an English town after downpours...
2348823-Ban_Pong_clock_tower_July_25_2003_Ban_Pong_2.jpg
2348823-Ban_Pong_clock_tower_July_25_2003_Ban_Pong_2.jpg (67.39 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
So why does Hua Hin have such trouble with water, especially flash floods, during the raining season?

Oh right, I forgot...

It's because every bugger and his brother are ripping down each natural square meter and whacking cement blocks in its place to make a quick buck.

:cuss: :banghead: :guns:
Big Boy

Re: Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

Actually, I think they are doing a great job with roads and drainage in this town. My road used to turn into a river, with a couple of lakes, but we had quite a downpour this afternoon, and yes, it got wet, but barely a trickle, I was very impressed. I'm seeing roads of this standard popping up all over the place now.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Re: The ever-improving state of Hua Hin's roads

Post by Big Boy »

Not only is drainage improving, the Tessebahn are creating many alternative routes through the city, allowing locals to easily avoid the weekend Petchkasem car park. Driving is becoming more acceptable in Hua Hin over the last 12 months.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I agree. The storm drains south of the fly-over seem to be working. In other years, Soi 112 would have floods by now with the run-off flooding Petchkasem. So far the new drainage seems to be handling it.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I disapprove of the title, with my post leading the thread, and wish for it to be changed to...

"The Over-Development of Hua Hin and the Consequences"

Failing this, please delete my first post as I don't want to be the 'cause' of 'starting' a thread on, "Look how well the folks are dealing with abolishing nature in Hua Hin"

I don't care about the content - only the title. Please change it, or delete me, as my post was not intended to start a thread with such a title which is very unfair. Delete my first post if need be.

Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

GLCQuantum

Well, the wife drove through Soi 102 yesterday and saw the new pumping station that had been built to combat flooding.
Built alongside the new block of town houses opposite that long row of shop houses, she said it is a eyesore but was needed to control the water poring down the soi. She thinks (but is not sure) the water is pumped back up 102 to the canal, by the rail tracks.

She stopped and chatted to a local chap and he told her, that people who had put down deposits for the new town houses had withdrawn them and that the new development was now blighted by the pumping station being right next door.

Not sure if that is true or not, as she has yet to send me a picture. People living on Soi 102, will know more.

Well, Soi 102 has always been a flood risk area and there has been so much development there since 1999, the risk was always going to increase. It has taken until now, to put in a pump to alleviate the problem!!! Will it work? TIT who knows.

As to the "Consequences" well, the whole of Hua Hin is being concreted over and it ain't going to stop any time soon, but with the water supply and other problems, due to the lack of the correct infrastructure, maybe time to move on to pastures new.

:duck:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Interesting but...

I still insist that either the title is changed or my post is deleted from the top of this thread. It's using my words to start a thread of the opposite title. I believe my post finished with...

"It's because every bugger and his brother are ripping down each natural square meter and whacking cement blocks in its place to make a quick buck."

Hardly a post to start a thread titled such as this one.

Believe it or not - I'm not joking. I'm a little annoyed, actually. Not your doing, I know Kendo. It was Big Boy's slip up, bless 'im.

The title gets changed or my post taken out.

:cheers:
Last edited by GLCQuantum on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

^

Sorry Khundon... I thought you were Kendo hence the insisting... :oops:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

No problem GLCQuantum :D

How many of those brownies have you eaten? :rasta:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

GLCQuantum wrote: Please change it, or delete me
That one will have Lev spluttering over his cornflakes...
This is the way
Grim Reaper
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Grim Reaper »

GLCQuantum wrote:I disapprove of the title, with my post leading the thread, and wish for it to be changed to...

Make youself aware of the T&Cs you agreed to when signing up for this forum.

This thread has occurred because, by your own admission you took another thread off topic.

If you do not agree with anything on this or any thread, follow the correct procedure. Further discussion on your dispute will not be permitted on this thread.
You reap what you sow
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

Khundon1975 wrote:GLCQuantum

Well, the wife drove through Soi 102 yesterday and saw the new pumping station that had been built to combat flooding.
Built alongside the new block of town houses opposite that long row of shop houses, she said it is a eyesore but was needed to control the water poring down the soi. She thinks (but is not sure) the water is pumped back up 102 to the canal, by the rail tracks.

She stopped and chatted to a local chap and he told her, that people who had put down deposits for the new town houses had withdrawn them and that the new development was now blighted by the pumping station being right next door.

Not sure if that is true or not, as she has yet to send me a picture. People living on Soi 102, will know more.

Well, Soi 102 has always been a flood risk area and there has been so much development there since 1999, the risk was always going to increase. It has taken until now, to put in a pump to alleviate the problem!!! Will it work? TIT who knows.

As to the "Consequences" well, the whole of Hua Hin is being concreted over and it ain't going to stop any time soon, but with the water supply and other problems, due to the lack of the correct infrastructure, maybe time to move on to pastures new.

:duck:
Well after seeing the pipe burst while sitting at Bobbys bar and the subsequent days of devastating damage to the foundations of the road and surrounding area it is very easy to understand why prospective buyers of the buildings on the south side of 102 would have wished to walk away.

Days later the conversations were that the hole was getting larger and subsidence must be having an impact on the integrity of the entrances to that building. The hole was right to the doorways of the building, one almost expected the building to disappear into that hole.
lizzy

Post by lizzy »

Try driving up 88 today and you will find one road that is not improving it is a earth trap at the moment!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Actually, compared with 12 months ago, even Soi 88 has improved. I'm not disagreeing that it's still probably the worst road in town, but they have sorted the worst stretch (outside the boxing gym). I guess it has to be put down to work in progress. I'm sure they'll get around to doing more - eventually.

Points 41; Position 18
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Hua Hin's roads are not improving at all. They are getting busier and busier and still very dangerous for drivers. During long weekends the roads are jam packed with people. Gridlocked. There is no point taking your car into Hua Hin on a long weekend.

Motorbikes also still drive on the road with 5 passengers on them and no helmet. People still drive drunk... just look at the motorbikes outside of bars then see how many drive home on them. When a train is passing look at the mayhem that comes after it, with everyone trying to get in front of everyone else. Only it's busier now.

Improving? Progress?

Laughable.

:cheers: