The ever-improving state of Hua Hin's roads

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: The ever-improving state of Hua Hin's roads

Post by Big Boy »

This is where the Tessebahn are really coming up trumps - they are creating alternate routes through the city, which are working very well for me personally, and I know many others enjoying the benefits.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

But if you want to get to the hospital (emergency) on these days (a long weekend) what the hell do you do... take a motorbike taxi?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You can use the alternate routes to easily access San Paulo and and Hua Hin Hospitals. Ambulances are well versed in these alternate routes. Bangkok Hospital has a short stretch of the Petchkasem car park to overcome at the moment. However, I've not tried the new road behind Bangkok Hospital yet - maybe some bright spark has opened up a back entrance there also.

Points 41; Position 18
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

while not a main road, Hua Hin Soi 91 is really rough... one of two exits to the south from Khao Takiap...

dirt, gravel and old asphalt...
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't know how involved with Soi 91 you are, but our Soi was like a tank training ground, with 2 resident lakes formed from neighbour's leaking pools. A couple of neighbors represented the problem to the Tessebahn, and we have a brilliant road now. The new drainage takes away the leaking pool water easily now, as well as rain water. Maybe you need a Thai resident to represent the problem - they are listening. It's a couple of weeks of inconvenience, but well worth it.

Points 41; Position 18
lizzy

Post by lizzy »

I agree some progress has been made at the top of 88. Have you driven between the view point turn off and past the courthouse in the past two days? It is almost single lane now. The road surface by Avenue 88 was repaired this week, now as bad as ever, you have to circumnavigate diggers, soil moving trucks and cement lorries. In places the surface of the road is 6inches above the new drains, how are they going to level it out? I presume I will also not be able to drive out of my soi when the holes are extended further up 88. So roads in Hua Hin have improved, soi 88 has not!
lizzy

Post by lizzy »

lizzy wrote:Try driving up 88 today and you will find one road that is not improving it is a death trap at the moment!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

lizzy wrote:I agree some progress has been made at the top of 88. Have you driven between the view point turn off and past the courthouse in the past two days? It is almost single lane now. The road surface by Avenue 88 was repaired this week, now as bad as ever, you have to circumnavigate diggers, soil moving trucks and cement lorries. In places the surface of the road is 6inches above the new drains, how are they going to level it out? I presume I will also not be able to drive out of my soi when the holes are extended further up 88. So roads in Hua Hin have improved, soi 88 has not!
I haven't driven that way for a few weeks. I will have reason to start again from the middle of next week, so i guess I've got a treat in store.

Your thoughts were exactly mine as they were doing my Soi. With 2 exceptions, the engineers came up with very innovative solutions for everybody when developing their new road. I've seen the claims of an unskilled workforce, but they really knew what they were doing on my Soi.

Yes, you'll have a little pain for a few weeks (ours took about 8 weeks) but it'll be well worth it in the end. I had to park away from the house for about 2 weeks, and I had a very muddy car port until completed.

Please report back when completed to let us know how the finished job turned out.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

it will be interesting when the rains really start to see how well the new drainage is working. No opportunity so far this year to drive my truck through, the "Water, especially flash floods, during the raining season," as stated in the OP.

My guess is a little flooding this year, but by the next wet season, the problem will have been totally erradicated.

Points 41; Position 18
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Big Boy wrote:
My guess is a little flooding this year, but by the next wet season, the problem will have been totally erradicated.[/b]
:mrgreen:

Optimistic much?

:cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, I don't think so. One of the things I enjoy is driving along flooded roads. Despite some pretty heavy prolonged showers already this year, I've barely found a puddle to drive through. I am still hopeful some of the older parts of Hua Hin will take a little longer to resolve the problem.

Your lack of knowledge about the current works is starting to show through. Next time you visit the city. open your eyes and look at what is actually happening.

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Not sure about Hua Hin's roads but the road from Prachuap to Pranburi is probably one of the worst in the country. The surface of the moon is smoother.

Still, the provincial bigwigs have plenty of money to spend on more important things I guess.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:One of the things I enjoy is driving along flooded roads
Off to do some shopping--the only way Mrs Big Boy can get him to take her. :rasta:
Big Boy having fun.jpg
Big Boy having fun.jpg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 543 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

A brand spanking new road has just been completed from where we are in Tap Thai down to the bottom of Soi 112. It starts about 100 metres south from the Palm Bistro and joins the 112 just by the new Mahasamutr site, west of the new ugly tower block near the overpass. There is another part that goes North West but I have yet to investigate where it comes out.

It is a flat, black, wide and empty ~3km stretch of tarmac that means I can avoid Soi 88 when getting into the southern parts of town and Khao Takiab in particular, cutting the journey time to around one third of what it would take going via 88. But please don't tell anyone about it, it's currently the town's best-kept secret!
Last edited by J.J.B. on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

And when are they ever going to re-lay the entire railway road, a major tourist route that is a disaster
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali