Gasohol 91 and gasohol 95 to be phased out

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
buksida

Gasohol 91 and gasohol 95 to be phased out

Post by buksida »

Gasohol 91 will be phased out of gas stations nationwide by 2018 and gasohol 95 will follow suit in 2027.

Energy Business Department Director General Witoon Kulcharoenwirat said the country will be left with two high-percentage ethanol fuels including gasohol E20 and gasohol E85.

Once gasohol 91 and 95 are phased out, the demands for biofuel are expected to triple to 25.4 million liters a day, the department head said.

Energy policymakers will begin to gradually widen the gap in retail prices between gasohol 91/95 and E20 from the current two baht per liter, he said.

Given the current price gap between 91 and 95 being just 42 satang per liter, the policymakers will have to gradually widen the gap by way of excise tax and levies for the state-run Oil Fund.

According to Mr Witoon, all new sedans are compatible with E20, but if its price is not significantly lower than that of E10, motorists would choose to use a lower-percentage fuel.

The Energy Business Department expects the consumption of gasohol 91 and gasohol 95 to remain at a low level of 7.8 million liters per day throughout this year to be on par with the 2015 level.

Source: http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en/ne ... 7280010001
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
brianks
Guru
Guru

Re: Gasohol 91 and gasohol 95 to be phased out

Post by brianks »

More Ignorance coming from government. Screw the people and foist off less energy and cost efficient fuel on the public. Go fewer Km with more alcohol. Promote more deforestation to make alcohol from ag. products and up the cost of animal feed to raise the farmers cost. Wonder if anyone in government has looked at the numbers in relation to adding alcohol to gas and mileage. Make us pay the same price to go shorter distances. Its the same way in the U.S. with politicians pandering to the votes of the first presidential primary in Iowa and the corn lobby.

I wonder if anyone will dare speak out on the foolishness of this.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

could somebody explain what is in Gasohol 91 & 95 and in the new E20 and gasohol E85. Thank you
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Gasohol 91 and 95 is 10 percent ethanol and 90 percent gasoline(which the Thais in their wisdom call Benzene)mixture.

E20 is 20 percent ethanol and E80 is 80 percent ethanol mixture with gasoline.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

not to mention that the alcohol rots your hoses.
Thailand: the land of everything backwards.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I can't speak for everyone, but I have been using gasohol 91 in my Honda Wave (my faithful saleng) for the past three years or more, and it has had no negative impacts on the bike, including tubes or anything like that. It's an old bike (10+) so I was expecting some issue but so far so good.

My question now is, could I start using say E10 or E20 fuel in it?

Thanks for any advice.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
buksida

Post by buksida »

Ethanol based fuels are fine for injection based engines. Anything with a carb such as older motorcycles will not take to well to gasohol.

They're basically lowering the petrol content and increasing the ethanol content so effectively you'll be burning more fuel to cover fewer kilometers.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Ethanol based fuels are fine for injection based engines.
Well, that is not always true. My Land Rover is fuel injected, and although I run it on LPG, it has to start on petrol. After having to replace the "O" rings on the injectors 3 times I gave up on it. There are other certain types of materials used in petrol fuel systems that will react with ethanol. It is pretty much impossible to tell just what materials are used in older petrol fuel systems.

I read somewhere that E91 will be retained until 2018, and E95 until 2028. But the source in not reliable.

Diesel also uses ethanol, at the moment only 5 percent. But it also has an emulsifier mixed with it that seems to avoid the problems encountered with pure ethanol.
Last edited by Nereus on Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

My question now is, could I start using say E10
E91 IS E10 young fellow. :twisted:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Guess I should have said "newer injection engines" then. We've been running a now 12 year old Mitsubishi on 91 without issue, now if I put it in an old carby powered Honda CBR it runs like a pig and wont start after a week! We're on the same page essentially. :wink:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

brianks wrote:More Ignorance coming from government. Screw the people and foist off less energy and cost efficient fuel on the public. Go fewer Km with more alcohol. Promote more deforestation to make alcohol from ag. products and up the cost of animal feed to raise the farmers cost. Wonder if anyone in government has looked at the numbers in relation to adding alcohol to gas and mileage. Make us pay the same price to go shorter distances. Its the same way in the U.S. with politicians pandering to the votes of the first presidential primary in Iowa and the corn lobby.

I wonder if anyone will dare speak out on the foolishness of this.
With Thailand, the use of ethanol as fuel is primarily down to balance of payments, oil largely has to be imported, whereas ethanol is grown at home. It's not an environmental consideration, it's all about keeping money within Thailand instead of giving it to the Middle East, or wherever. I think currently something like 10% of GDP goes towards importing energy and Thai's keep buying more vehicles.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Wait a minute here. The government is subsidizing the production of alcohol. How can anyone justify forcing the people to pay more for less while subsidizing the production of alcohol to mix with "benzine"?

Just as in America with the Iowa corn lobby, it doesn't make any financial or economic sense to mandate mixing alcohol with gasoline. All your doing is forcing the people to pay more for less.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I looked at this years ago as my car is still happiest on 95 benzine (NO ethanol content) and found that the price of ethanol in Thailand is based on the 'Brazilian price + freight + insurance + loss + survey', not actual production prices, which are announced as the 'monthly announced ethanol reference price'.
If this is being further subsidised someone is definitely making a pile..

The article is dated, but I don't think there would have been any changes made to it. Food for thought.. (NSTDA is the National Science and Technology Development Agency of Thailand)
http://www.nstda.or.th/eng/media/k2/att ... narong.pdf
วินเชนท์
buksida

Post by buksida »

Plan is afoot to increase price of gasohol 91 to the same level with gasohol 95
The Energy Business Department will propose Energy Minister Siri Jirapongphan to increase the retail price of gasohol 91 to the same level as the gasohol 95 so that more motorists will switch to gasohol 95 and gasohol 91 will eventually be phased out.

An informed energy source said that two oil trading companies had notified the Energy Business Department that they would stop selling gasohol 91 at their petrol stations, which is in line with the Energy Ministry’s to gradually phase out gasohol 91.

The source said that if the price of gasohol 91 is on par with that of gasohol 95, more motorists would switch to gasohol 95 or E20 which has higher content of ethanol. He added that increased use of E20 will help boost the prices of certain farm products used as raw materials for producing ethanol.

Of late, the Energy Ministry adjusted the retail prices of gasohol 91 and gasohol 95 to narrow the price differential to 26 satang per litre to encourage motorists to switch to gasohol 95.

Daily consumption of gasohol 91 stands at 10.35 million litres compared to 12.01 million litres of gasohol 95.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/plan-a ... asohol-95/
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Gasohol is subsidised anyway, and it's the poorer people who will suffer. I've seen this upcountry where they sell stuff in a coke bottle, some can only afford 20 baht a time. Bring back pushbikes, I say.
วินเชนท์