Thai Drivers License Pranburi

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
jmhogan
Amateur
Amateur

Thai Drivers License Pranburi

Post by jmhogan »

SO yesterday I received my Thailand Drivers License.

For those wondering here is the process and the costs.

Copy of Housebook and ownership(I am a tenant so owner provided me this)
Immigration takes this information and draws up some paperwork 1000B
Photos taken at Immigration 120B
Off to San Paulo hospital to do medical check(I was told they answer 6 questions Bangkok does only 5 and they want to have the 6 things answered) 570B
Miscellanious Photo Copies 20B
Transportation office 305B

To get my license I had to show them a valid Drivers License from my home Country and sit thru a one hour classroom video. Then I was given my License. NO TEST other then the gas and brake pedal test and a quick red green yellow color test and a lining up test. All quite simple and I saw people get these things wrong 3 or more times and they just went until they got it right.

NOW for the motorcyle, they are using the same information and you have to do a quick riding test. Just stop at a STOP sign plant your feet use your signal make turns then do a roundabout and go thru cones. The teacher hardly sees what you do. There is also an online quiz made up of 50 questions. I had issues with this as some of the answers not sure if they were not properly translated but I showed the facilitator and while I believe they agreed with me not sure they could change anything so I was told to go back. Not sure how many right you have to get even with the Mistakes I had 80% and it came up as failed.

Before you all think I am an idiot an example of one of the questions was a picture one car is on a straightaway and the other has the choice to turn left or right who has the right of way. Apparently here it is the guy waiting to turn left or right.

Other questions were about parking. The first time I marked that cars parked in the lines were correct however that answer was wrong and randomly pulling over was the right answer. BUT the 2nd go around the cars parked between the lines was correct. I pointed this out to the facilitator as well that the first time this was wrong and now I am told it is right???? She just smiled and did not know what I was talking about and once again I got please try again tomorrow Mister.

Another sign was a white background black straight arrow with red circle around it and stripe through it. This should mean you cannot go straight but the test came back and said this was a do not pass on the right. I once again told them that there is another sign for that with the arrow and a curved arrow going around it as the do not pass sign, and was given the come back tomorrow answer. So a little frustrating to say the least. You are given one hour for this test but it will take no more then 20 minutes. Although I am still trying to figure out what is going to be considered right when it is wrong.

I am guessing the motorbike cost will be 305B as well and the cost to do the computer test multiple times is included in this. You are also given a manual to study however a lot of the things on this test do not appear in the manual.

If you are looking for the transportation office heading from Hua Hin you have the light with Tesco Pran Buri on the left and a police box on the right hand side. Turn Right at this light and JUST past the police box there is a road and you turn left on this road and go down to the Transportation office and go up to the second floor.

GOOD LUCK and hope this is helpful to anyone looking out for how to go about getting a license.

Hopefully tomorrow I have my motorbike :)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Drivers License Dec. 7 2016

Post by HHTel »

This has been covered on many threads. In this case you paid way over the top for paperwork and medical but that is by the by. I've only done the theory test voluntarily while waiting for my licence renewal. (I've never done any tests but I think that's historical - things change!) I'm sure the theory test in English has dubious translation. The traffic laws here are almost identical to those in the UK. However, the computer driven theory test is very flawed. Multiple choice and sometimes more than one answer is correct and on some, none of the answers are correct! I'm told that you have multiple attempts at passing this test but that may have changed.
As I'm sure you've realised, passing the driving test here does not make you a better driver. That is down to common sense and experience.
Good Luck
jmhogan
Amateur
Amateur

Post by jmhogan »

Well if I overpaid for anything that is the corruption at Immigration and the hospital.

Either way the Motorbike license was 205B and the test is full or errors and you get 2 attempts per visit only.

Once you realize what wrong answers they have as right you can breeze thru it.

I was not looking to get a license to be a "better" driver but to have everything legal.

But thanks for the well wishes I have passed it all now and have 2 licenses.
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

Did you have a motorcycle license in your country??? Wondering why it wouldn't transfer over as the car did... I have my international endorsement with me that clearly states auto and motorcycle on it... I am currently on a tourist visa and would like to go get mine done this trip over here... Thanks!!!
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

The medical certificate costs 50 baht at the walk-in clinic in Pranburi (continue south from Tesco Pranburi, turn left at the next traffic light, clinic is on the right about 50 meters from the traffic light). Since you were actually getting 2 licenses (car and motorcycle) I suspect you need 2 medical certificates, perhaps you covered this with your misc photocopy expense. Same with immigration, your 1000 baht expense was actually for 2 single page documents, one for motorcycle license and one for the car license (CAN NOT use a photocopy) I believe that 95% is required to pass the written (computerized) test, but it might be only 90%. I failed the first try and passed the second. Word of warning about immigration, my mother was asked "car or motorcycle ?" by the immigration clerk, to which she replied "BOTH". Upon arrival at Pranburi Land Transport Office a major glitch developed, after much discussion and help translating by another Thai that happened to speak English, it was explained that they did not do maritime licenses for operating a ship. The immigration clerk had been told "BOTH", misunderstood it as "BOAT" and drafted a document for obtaining a ship license. A not so quick return trip back to Hua Hin Immigration sorted it all out with new documents. Question, did you have to reserve an advance appointment at Pranburi Land Transport Office ? Having already obtained my car license a couple of years ago, 6 months ago I obtained my motorcycle license. Upon arrival at the Pranburi office, I was given a queue card and instructed to return in 30 days time. I'm wondering if there is still a waiting period.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Jesse wrote:The immigration clerk had been told "BOTH", misunderstood it as "BOAT" and drafted a document for obtaining a ship license.
:lach:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

BOZ wrote:Did you have a motorcycle license in your country??? Wondering why it wouldn't transfer over as the car did... I have my international endorsement with me that clearly states auto and motorcycle on it... I am currently on a tourist visa and would like to go get mine done this trip over here... Thanks!!!
We went in about a month ago. Mrs m, and I, both had international permits with auto and motorcycle. No test, written or driving, 530 baht per person, returned the next day and received.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

Perfect Thank You for the reply!!!
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Today I renewed my 5 year licences. In 15 years I have never done any of the tests. Not so today. I did the colour, reaction and perception test. Quite fun really.
Then I had to watch a video. After 15 mins I left. I just couldn't take any more of the crap. "You have to go back in and watch". "No way. I'll just wait here thank you".

1. The English subtitles are appalling probably been through a Google translate.
"flash lights twice peep two short when outpacing the car" ----- overtaking.
"Only have fog light when rain cat and dog and not night'

2. Some of the driving instructions were just WRONG.

3. Probably the worst aspect. When the vid showed a guy obviously having a bit of road rage and shouting and waving his arms, a gang appeared and threw him to the ground where he was kicked and beaten continuously along with all the stars you'd see in an episode of Batman......Kerpow!
So it promotes violence to counter road rage. ----- There's enough violence in Thai soaps without the Transport Office showing more!

That was only 15 mins into the video. Don't know what the rest was like.

Anyway, legal for another 6 years when it'll surely change again.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

HHTel wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:16 pm Today I renewed my 5 year licences. In 15 years I have never done any of the tests. Not so today. I did the colour, reaction and perception test. Quite fun really.
Then I had to watch a video. After 15 mins I left. I just couldn't take any more of the crap. "You have to go back in and watch". "No way. I'll just wait here thank you".

1. The English subtitles are appalling probably been through a Google translate.

3. Probably the worst aspect. When the vid showed a guy obviously having a bit of road rage and shouting and waving his arms, a gang appeared and threw him to the ground where he was kicked and beaten continuously along with all the stars you'd see in an episode of Batman......Kerpow!
So it promotes violence to counter road rage. ----- There's enough violence in Thai soaps without the Transport Office showing more!

how do you get 6 years,is it a quistion on when you go,I have to renew in june,so when shold I go ? thanks

:cheers: :cheers:
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

HHTel wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:16 pm Today I renewed my 5 year licences. In 15 years I have never done any of the tests. Not so today. I did the colour, reaction and perception test. Quite fun really.

HH could you please advise the requirements to renew the 5 year car and bike licenses apart form the above. I know I need a letter from immigration for both licences, is there anything else
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Post by buksida »

Did mine two weeks ago, very similar situation to the above though not in Pranburi.

http://bangsaphanguide.com/forum/viewto ... =444#p8310
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Residence letter from immigration (1 for car and 1 for bike) at 500 baht a pop. For that you need a photo, copies of your passport (ID page, latest stamp, departure card, address notification slip), all those copies again for Transport office (2 x if for 2 licences), copy of front and back of your current licence(s), original licence(s) and cash (555 baht for car, 305 for bike plus 100 for each licence picture).
I went early at 8am and was finished before 11.

Your licence expires on your birthday. Go after that and you get 5 years from your next birthday.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Hey thanks, and that's a great tip about going after your birthday
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

yep,thanks for the birthday tip :D

:cheers: :cheers: