Getting Tough on Motorcyclists?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Getting Tough on Motorcyclists?

Post by Big Boy »

I've just spent a few minutes gobsmacked whilst watching Channel 3 News.

They've shown a motorcyclist stopped by the police, and not having a licence. The guy was angry at having to pay a 500 Baht fine, but went ballistic when the officer wouldn't let him continue on his bike without a licence.

Firstly, I find it unbelievable that an incident as petty as this has made TV news.

Secondly, I hope this is announcing a 'get tough' approach by police, and some proper law enforcement. This guy was really hurting at the indignity of losing his motorcycle. He is going to think twice about getting caught again. It's silly season out there, and more and more people are riding bikes without a licence (my visitors included).

Unfortunately, everybody knows there's no proper enforcement, and it's just 200 Baht into the tea fund if you're stopped. Avoiding the road block seems to be a regular holiday activity for many visitors. Get tough - a little pain now could go a long way to making Thailand's roads safer.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
buksida

Re: Getting Tough on Motorcyclists?

Post by buksida »

This happens just as often with car/pickup drivers ... who are usually allowed to go on their way.

The police hound motorcyclists because they often cant see who is driving a car and wouldn't want to pull over the wrong person.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, sorry, didn't mean to imply it was only motorcyclists - that was the example on the news.

Yes, tea money is a win/win situation at the time, but you only have to look at statistics to see who really wins.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Well, the following is in Bangkok, but just as unbelievable.
Just erected on Rama 4 Rd close to my Condo is a bloody great sign in both Thai and English, stating that motorcycles, pushcarts and a couple of other things are prohibited to drive on the footpath! A fine of 5,000 Baht applies!

Of course, while I was stopped waiting on the traffic lights, at least 20 motorcycles drove past it on the footpath. In fact, as it as mounted at eye level a couple of them actually brushed against it! :shock:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Of course. I don't suppose those motorcyclists had even considered it until the notice suggested it - TIT :?

Points 48; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

In normal circumstance I'm a firm believer in letting Darwin sort things out, aka licensed driver vs non-licensed.

However, here that would amount to genocide.

BB,

I'm curious, was the person the bike Farang or Thai?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

RCer wrote:BB,

I'm curious, was the person the bike Farang or Thai?
Thai

Points 48; Position 18
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Big Boy wrote:Get tough - a little pain now could go a long way to making Thailand's roads safer.
Do you really think that having a license makes that much of a difference? After what I have read here, the process of getting a license doesn't seem to have much to do with the ability to drive safely.

You say you have visitors driving without a license. Do you think their driving ability would improve if they got a Thai driving license? I really respect people getting a license because they want to follow the law, but I don't think a "normal" person drives better because he/she has a license. A "crazy" person, think intoxicated or three kids on a bike, will newer get a license anyway.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Ralfredo wrote:
Big Boy wrote:Get tough - a little pain now could go a long way to making Thailand's roads safer.
Do you really think that having a license makes that much of a difference? After what I have read here, the process of getting a license doesn't seem to have much to do with the ability to drive safely.

You say you have visitors driving without a license. Do you think their driving ability would improve if they got a Thai driving license? I really respect people getting a license because they want to follow the law, but I don't think a "normal" person drives better because he/she has a license. A "crazy" person, think intoxicated or three kids on a bike, will newer get a license anyway.
:agree: ,licence dont help at all,but a insurance would at least cover some of the damage these fools do with their ignorence and brainess driving ,and that goes for for cars ,vans,trucks or whatever on these roads.

:cheers: :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'll answer the visitors issue first - if there was proper law enforcement/penalties, I doubt many visitors would bother hiring motorcycles. If hire companies were having their bikes confiscated, they'd have to start thinking twice about renting in the first place, especially to somebody without the correct documentation. Many of these guys are total plonkers, thinking they're in the Wild West, and anything goes. At least most Thais may do silly things, but they are consistent with their habits, and can be anticipated.

Do I think it would make Thais better drivers? Probably not, or would it? The problem is that Thais do silly things because even for them, the payment of tea money is only a minor hardship. It needs proper law enforcement that will serve as a deterrent.

Tea money is a win/win situation. People pay the money, regardless of offence, and are on their way - often continuing the crime. No helmet, confiscate the bike and issue a proper fine. Driving on the wrong side of the road, a proper find, and made to go back in the correct direction. No licence, fine and confiscation. etc, etc.

So no, a licence alone wouldn't help much. Proper law enforcement is the only true deterrent.

Points 48; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Ralfredo wrote:
Big Boy wrote:Do you really think that having a license makes that much of a difference? After what I have read here, the process of getting a license doesn't seem to have much to do with the ability to drive safely.
There is a written test and a skills test. So, yes it would help, some.

But like BB said, enforcement of the laws would go a long way. It would also kill the motorbike rental business.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

RCer wrote:It would also kill the motorbike rental business.
And to some extent harm the whole tourism industry. Neglectable or significant, I don't know.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Ralfredo wrote:
And to some extent harm the whole tourism industry. Neglectable or significant, I don't know.
An interesting comment. When I used to holiday here for well over 20 years, I never ever considered hiring a motorcycle. Are you suggesting tourists come all this way just to break the law by illegally hiring a motorcycle?

I must admit that while many friends do it, I'd never considered it high on their 'to do list'. I guess it could be the 'naughty boy' coming out of them.

If they couldn't hire a motorcycle, I'm not sure what effect it would have on their trips to Thailand/would they still come.

Maybe Thailand needs to consider whether it wants motorcycle based tourism.

Points 48; Position 18
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Many on motorbikes and many in pickups/older cars simply have no license, tax, helmet, no insurance, no idea about sweet FA and the vehicle is often not in an acceptable state to even be on the road.

High time some actual enforcement was applied and I think they will over the seasonal silly holiday as the nazis are in charge now and they have resolutely failed to make a difference since they "took over." The figures are surreal when they put them up over the holiday period...like 70k people failed to produce a license when stopped, 20k people confirmed drunk etc......woeful really.

The thing that is telling in the OP's post is that this moron is overwhelmed with incredulity at the nerve of the police officer and his actions.......these arrogant idiots shouldn't even be on the road and their contempt for safety, the law and vehicle requirements know no bounds and they should have the book thrown at them.

It costs me a small fortune to be legal in every way here for transport, habitation location, visa and work and I think it should be extended to everyone. Having morons running around like this that shouldn't be doing so only endangers the safety of other people......not that anyone gives a shits about that.

I could go on...but I won't.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Big Boy wrote:
Ralfredo wrote:
An interesting comment. When I used to holiday here for well over 20 years, I never ever considered hiring a motorcycle. Are you suggesting tourists come all this way just to break the law by illegally hiring a motorcycle?
Of course not.

We usually rent a house in "the southern suburbs", a few km from the nearest shop or restaurant and maybe 5-6 km to the closest beach. If we couldn't rent bikes, it just wouldn't be practical to live in that location. It's really not an option to call a tuk-tuk every time I want some fresh fruit or an ice cream. It would be both very expensive and very unpractical.

Are we breaking the law? Yes, unfortunately. Am I proud of it? No, not at all. Do I feel ashame? Not really. If I could, I absolutely would like to obtain a Thai license but since we usually only have a 30 day visa exemption, no blue/yellow books or such, if I understand things correctly, we can't. I don't rent a bike because I like breaking the law or being a "cowboy". I rent a bike because I need some form of transportation.

If we couldn't rent bikes, we couldn't live where we usually live in Thailand. Then we would have to live somewhere else. Would it be in a different location in Hua Hin, a different place in Thailand or in a different country? I honestly don't know!

Ten years ago I had definitely said some other place in Hua Hin or Thailand. These days I'm not so sure. The LoS I once fell in love with have in my opinion changed, and not in the direction I would have liked. I somehow just don't feel as welcome these days as I once did. No single thing that I can point the finger at but just a general feeling.