Nissan Navara NP300 Poor Build or faulty?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Nissan Navara NP300 Poor Build or faulty?

Post by Gregjam »

My truck is currently in the dealers for what sounds like a failure of the turbo charger. I say sounds like because I am at work abroad and it is being dealt with by my nephew. He translates through my wife and translation can be an issue. The car is run every day to avoid mice problems and on this occasion was going to be used to take the family out to the village. Less than a 100 metres down the road thick black smoke was coming out of the exhaust. The truck is just over a year old and Nissan duly called. They towed it back to the dealers (which indicates even they thought it was quite serious).

From what I understand it seems to be either some oil seals or gaskets leaking in the turbo chargers but whatever has happened it is not good in a relatively new low mileage truck. The wife said that apparently this is quite common for Nissans although this is very much hearsay.

Since having the truck it has been back a few times to reset the ECM chip as the airbag system light came on which was just annoying but other than that is has been a pleasure to own.

Has anyone else had any reliability problems with the recent NP300 Nissan Navara or heard from any other sources about black smoke problems with fairly new Nissans. My Thai language skills are not up to checking the Thai forums.
bert91157

Re: Nissan Navara NP300 Poor Build or faulty?

Post by bert91157 »

I had a 2012 Navara up until a couple of months ago and it never give me a problem in all that time. Other than a battery change.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Looking around various forums there are a number of reasons for black rather than blue or white smoke. Basically is it too much fuel in the fuel air mix and can be attributed to either not enough air or too much fuel. This would point to either an air filter blockage (mice? as I have had issues), turbo problems, fuelling issues. I cannot but be suspicious about the ECU (said ECM in the orginal post but it should the the ECU) having had the earlier reboots. The car sits around for the three months I am away and is rarely used so there is always a risk of contaminants settling out of the fuel but the filter should catch them and was changed not so long ago. I get the feeling this is a one off rather than something like the Spanish made Navara's with chassis problems mentioned in another post.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Most people are very happy with the Ford Ranger (as am I). However, I had a problem with my turbo (I think mine started going well within the year), which was changed under warranty, eventually. At least Nissan seem prepared to change yours right away.

Just let them change it, and enjoy the rest of your motor. I'm sure you will have minimal other problems, or at least, I haven't.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Gregjam wrote:Looking around various forums there are a number of reasons for black rather than blue or white smoke. Basically is it too much fuel in the fuel air mix and can be attributed to either not enough air or too much fuel. This would point to either an air filter blockage (mice? as I have had issues), turbo problems, fuelling issues.
That reasoning is absolutory correct, black smoke points to a fuel issue.
Starting it everyday without a good run to get it up to temperature is not a good practice. On the other hand does it have a "cool down" timer when you switch it off? Are you using the correct oil? A collapsed rubber hose in the air intake system will give those symptoms also. The hose can appear normal on the out side, but collapses internally when trying to accelerate. If it has an intercooler partly blocked will do it also.

The fuel itself is unlikely to be the problem. Diesel does not deteriorate like petrol, even though the diesel here has some ethanol in it, it also has another additive to prevent that happening.

Blown oil seals in the turbo are not unusual, the V6 engine used in Range Rovers have many failures. Like most things these days, the turbo may not be made by Nissan. A quick check with the test book / laptop should show up the fault. Try and ask them to save a printout of the test, most that I have seen are in English.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Interesting about the auto cooldown, I have noticed that in some vehicles but alas, not mine. It is started each day primarily as this keeps the mice at bay and any that have taken up residence the night before scatter. It also serves to keep the battery charged as despite having a smart charger, trying to get the wife or family organised to use it has so far proved impossible. I have been very happy with the service I have had from Nissan which is a bonus when you read of Big Boy's trials and tribulations with Ford. Poor service from Hua HIn Toyota led me to buy from Nissan although I get my Vios serviced at the Toyota dealer to the North of central Cha-am and am happy with them. For now I will wait and see what Nissan come up with. Fortunately being away I am not missing the vehicle and it won't have any mice problems while at the Nissan dealer. Plus they will not doubt give it a good clean too!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The problem with starting it everyday(if not going anywhere) is that the oil does not have time to warm up, which can lead to either sludge build up, or insufficient lubrication of the seals in the turbo. Also, the greatest engine wear from friction takes place before the oil is up to temperature and circulating correctly.

Depending on how well it starts, it can take up to a 10 Km run to recharge the battery, so that may also not be a good idea. Does your smart charger not have a short lead with a plug on it that can be left connected to the battery?
CTEK chargers use a lead that is long enough to reach outside towards the grill, which means you do not have to open the bonnet to connect the charger. And if you happen to drive off with it still plugged in, it SHOUKLD just pull out.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Turbo's are more prone to gasket failures from not being run at normal operating temperatures and pressures because of their high rpm and lubrication requirements.

The black smoke is likely from fuel which would make sense if the turbo isn't working correctly because they add the extra air needed.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I am beginning to suspect that my anti mice tactic may be backfiring. I know the wife starts and lets it run for quite a while but as she cannot drive this may warm the engine but not the turbo up. She obviously runs it long enough to avoid the battery running down as this has not been a problem but perhaps not long enough for the turbo to reach a good operating temperature. I am thinking that I will need to get the nephew to drive the car more regularly. Fortunately I can trust him so will try to persuade the wife to put that plan in place. I would think a good drive at least once a week will help.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Unfortunately, turbo chargers need to be driven. They run off the exhaust unlike a supercharger which are run by a belt driven by the engine.