Tougher test for licences

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Tougher test for licences

Post by Nereus »

Tougher test for driving licences from Wednesday

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -Wednesday

3 Jan 2017 at 15:31

Applicants for driving licences have to sit longer hours for the theory tests starting Wednesday as part of a Land Transport Department plan to improve road safety.

The department started requiring people seeking new licences or renewing those expiring more than one year to take two more tests from Wednesday.

One of the new exams involves first-aid knowledge and skills to deal with emergencies. The other focuses on laws related to driving, including the land transport and highways acts.

Exam-takers are given five hours to do all the tests, up from four hours before the new theory tests were added. Department director-general Sanit Promwong said the new curriculum is part of the 'Sure driving, smart driver' campaign to ensure drivers have better skills and hopefully reduce the number of road accidents in the country.

And that is as far as I could copy it………………………………>>>>
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Re: Tougher test for licences

Post by Big Boy »

First Aid is an interesting one. My son has been trying to find somewhere to teach him first aid for 5 years without success. He's actually come to the conclusion that outside of the medical profession, such training does not exist.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thinking about it, 5 hours of exams is going to mean many who would have taken tests, will not even attempt it now, unless the policing of persons without a licence is done correctly, and APPROPRIATE penalties served.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

Big Boy wrote:First Aid is an interesting one. My son has been trying to find somewhere to teach him first aid for 5 years without success. He's actually come to the conclusion that outside of the medical profession, such training does not exist.
BECC school are holding a first aid course for parents next thursday, he might be able to join them

http://thebecc.com/
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

https://scontent.fbkk5-4.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=58E04627

more details, probably good for all parents to attend
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks jingjoe. That looks perfect for what he needs. Unfortunately he works, so we can't do anything until he discusses it with his boss tomorrow morning. Hopefully, there'll still be places if he can get time off.

Reading it, it sounds as if there may further courses if he can't get to this one.

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:First Aid is an interesting one. My son has been trying to find somewhere to teach him first aid for 5 years without success. He's actually come to the conclusion that outside of the medical profession, such training does not exist.
There are a couple of places doing offshore training that offer first aid. Not cheap, but may suit when and if the new ferry gets sorted out.

http://www.mogit.org/training-course-li ... se-list-2/
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I'm in favor of any steps to make roads safer.

First aid and cpr were classes I never skipped when offered.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL - like London buses. Wait 5 years, then 2 come along at once.

That First Aid Basic 2 looks good enough, but obviously the First Aid Advanced would be better.

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

However, getting back to subject. The average Thai isn't going to pay for tuition for a driving test exam, so what do they do?

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Well, knowing first aid is not going to improve anyone's driving. And it is not as though there aren't any rescue services, they are just about as prolific as 7-11 shops.
For me, the only way to change the me first attitude that is the cause of a lot of accidents, is through the pockets of the offenders. Where I come from offending hoons have their vehicle confiscated for 28 days, along with licence demerit points. It is of no use just doing it at holiday time, it needs enforcing all the time.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I've just been to the U.K. For xmas and one of my sons took me back to Heathrow on the M25. Although there was no speed reduction in force, my son told me that last year he was caught on camera doing 64mph in a 60 mph zone (normal limit is 70 but temporarily reduced to 60). For such a relatively small misdemeanor he was fined £100 and given 3 points on his license plus his annual insurance premium increased from £360 to £596 at next renewal. Imagine doing something equivalent in Thailand.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

if thais were taught how to drive none of these written tests would be necessary. in a sideways skid no one will remember what it said on page 7 but if you can drive out of it lives can be saved.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm in favour of the driving test being upgraded, but wouldn't it be better to actually DRIVE the vehicle in order to pass!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Going off topic again :oops:
jingjoe wrote:
BECC school are holding a first aid course for parents next thursday, he might be able to join them

http://thebecc.com/
Thank you jingjoe, my son enrolled for this course earlier today. The lady who dealt with him, Emma was very helpful. Courses are being held on a regular basis, and my son is on the 23 Feb Course.

Nereus, time off work is the key. He will undertake the Mojit when time permits.

:offtopic:

Points 48; Position 18