Vehicle Advice

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
dpd2
Rookie
Rookie

Vehicle Advice

Post by dpd2 »

Happy New Year! We are agonising over vehicle choices, - more which type as opposed to yes or no as we live out of town. Now we are in HH permanently and want to venture further than a moped can safely take us I thought I would ask for feedback from any vehicle owners willing to share what they feel are the pros and cons about theirs.

I know it will depend on lifestyle as to what works for you but would be interested to hear about things that drive you mad that you hadn't considered before you bought it as well as what is fabulous about it.

We have looked at trucks and SUV's like the Ranger and the Pajero and wonder if they are a pain to park in various places for example as they do seem pretty big. With the Ranger, the 2.2 Wildtrack may be fine as I can't imagine we will be doing any off road driving. They are attractive in that we could probably get a couple of mountain bikes in the back but the fact they are open means it's open to the elements etc etc. Although I guess it is easy to get a cover of some sort fitted. We then had a look at the opposite end of the size spectrum and looked at the Honda Jazz! We were in Honda this morning and the 6 airbag model is on a 3 month lead time.We would like to get something which has a good safety rating but it seems as though you have to get to the top of the range for various vehicles just to get more than 2 airbags etc.

Finally, it seems impossible to narrow down to a particular dealer as it looks as though people have had problems with Ford, Toyota and Honda, I guess it is a bit of a lottery as to whether you have no problems with your vehicle or some really serious ones.
Decisions, decisions!! Thanks in advance for sharing any information :-)
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: Vehicle Advice

Post by Gregjam »

I would say that it is best to use a dealer outside of Hua Hin if you can as they generally don't get good press. I personally will not use Toyota here but am happy to use the one on the northern side of Cha Am. Many people complain about the Ford dealer here on the forum also. I am not sure about the other dealers. Many people prefer a pickup/SUV as they offer lots of room and parking spots here generally cater for large cars/trucks much more so than in Europe. I have a pickup truck and a Toyota Vios. My wife prefers the truck because she feels safer in it despite it being a harsher ride. The SUV's at the cheaper end (fortuner) are usually just a pickup with a different body but still leaf springs = harsh ride. I don't think there is a lot between the various trucks, just go for what you want and like although how close the dealer is to you may also be useful. I have a king cab truck and can fit three mountain bikes in the back easily. You will struggle with a double cab unless a rack is fitted to the roof and it will make the bikes vulnerable to low trees etc. Make a list of what you really must have in the vehicle, what you would like to have and what you are not too bothered about. Compare the various offerings/prices and ask/search the forum to see if people have had any issues. Take your time and don't rush to part with your money.
dpd2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dpd2 »

Thanks Gregjam, really appreciate your advice. If we get a truck we would probably go with a double cab so the mountain bike issue may not be solved by the sound of it.
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

I knew I wanted an SUV and I was open to the make.... We looked at everything out there and in the end narrowed it down to the MUX, Tunner and Trailblazer... The Tunner was very Toyota, one dash board fits all... The ride was harsher than the rest and the color options at the high end TRD were very limited, the far back seats are in the way of cargo, so out it went the Isuzu and Chevy use the same chassis and rear suspension, the bobies are very similar in size and looks.. This came down to fit and finish and interior trim and options... And power train, the Chevy was a huge step up there... The Thai speed bumps are everywhere and the suspension handles them well... The Trailblazer was our final choice and we went with the LTZ1 loaded... bought it in 2014 and was 300K below the TRD which was amazing at the time... Have 56K KM on it now and replaced the battery as then only issue so far... We take long trips as well as around town, comfort room and power are all great.. The kicker is the fantastic fuel economy we get... I can go 900KM on a full tank, which is great when you are on a trip... This decision is really about your preferences... We never have a problem parking it, I had worried about that when I was purchasing it, never has been any concern.... Good luck with your search!!!
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I note your comment on parking something like the Ranger. It is not a problem - car parking spaces in Thailand are huge compared to the UK.

I admit that I have struggled with a couple of bikes in the back of my Ranger, but I have seen many people simply taking off the front wheel, and they fit with no problem.

As Gregjam says, most trucks are very similar, just find the one that suits you.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

dpd2 wrote:Thanks Gregjam, really appreciate your advice. If we get a truck we would probably go with a double cab so the mountain bike issue may not be solved by the sound of it.
I can get a mountain bike in the bed of a four door Hilux without any problems, I've not tried it with two yet but was thinking of heading to Dolphin Bay with a couple so I'll let you know how it goes.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

for what it's worth: I grew up in the u.s. and have owned most American makes and would never own another.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Definitely not a Ford of any type, never had any luck with them.

If a truck, I suggest 4 wheel drive because normally the drive wheels are in the back and they have little traction. I've always gone by the view of "its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Dont bother about parking just do like everyone else doing,park the car were it suits you and f..k the rest 8)

:cheers: :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

RCer wrote:If a truck, I suggest 4 wheel drive because normally the drive wheels are in the back and they have little traction. I've always gone by the view of "its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".
I agree. When I bought mine, I didn't bother because I couldn't see any need. I've wished several times since that I had it.

Points 41; Position 18
dpd2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dpd2 »

Thanks so much for all advice, really useful. Interesting info about the 2 versus 4 wheel drive, I hadn't really considered that the rear wheel drive would not always be enough. The mountain bike info is really useful too. Are there any vehicles you have tried that you think are especially bad for road noise? I was watching a review on the Jazz and cabin noise was noted and I wondered with the double cab trucks having a large cabin whether noise was an issue.
I wish I had a definite choice in mind like an SUV for example but there are pros and cons for all types.
What, as standard, would you usually expect if buying a new vehicle, eg insurance, road tax etc, or is every dealer/vehicle different?
Thanks again, really appreciate it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

dpd2 wrote:I was watching a review on the Jazz and cabin noise was noted and I wondered with the double cab trucks having a large cabin whether noise was an issue.
Not an issue in the Ranger.

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Reason rear wheel drive in a truck is an issue is most of the weight is on the front tires.

Cabin noise will go down as you go up in price.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

When I moved there I bought a Honda CRV and never regretted it. I drove it for 10 years with only routine maintenance and then sold it at a good resale price. It is narrower that the big SUVs which came in handy navigating some of the narrow sois, yet still has plenty of room for passengers and cargo. Great for travel as it is comfortable and has a nice non-truck like ride. It is available with all wheel drive though mine was front wheel drive and I never felt like I needed all wheel.

Finally, I bought mine at Honda Pranburi and after trying the service at Hua Hin Honda once all my service visits were back at Honda Pranburi as they are much better.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I have the latest model of the Pajero Sport and would definitely recommend you give it a test drive if an SUV remains one of your options, although you'd struggle to get a couple of bikes in it. They drive really well and very quiet, full of safety features incl 7 airbags and collision warning system - of course neither of which you want to put to the test. Decent fuel economy with an 8 speed auto box and switchable between 2 or 4 wheel drive. I bought mine from the Cha Am dealer who are very good.