How can Thailand curb its appalling road fatality rate?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

Re: How can Thailand curb its appalling road fatality rate?

Post by PeteC »

If they can't understand a zebra, flashing light, sign posted pedestrian crossing we may as well totally forget about them understanding different types of lane markings. ( :alien: concept) 'Tis a step beyond general mental capacity. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I've also observed that diagonal yellow hatching down the centre of a road denotes an overtaking Lane.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

or the new bicycle lane from HH pass Kha Tao ,were all the gates are open now,so been use by songthaw,motorbike and cars to :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

:cheers: :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

HHTel wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:12 pm Most locals don't understand the lane markings. i.e. solid line, double line etc.

Traffic is often seen crossing a solid line and even overtaking on a double line.

With double lines, you can overtake if the line nearest you is 'dotted'. I was always taught that if the line closest on my right has 'holes' in it then I can cross it to overtake. If the line is solid then it should be treated like a brick wall.

There is usually a section of solid lane separators when approaching a junction or traffic lights. Means nothing to the drivers here.
I've noticed that when my partner is driving, she completely ignores anything painted on the road. I always joke with her that all road markings are good for in Thailand is for the people who sell the paint.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This is very true. At the sharp bend going West just before boxing gym on Soi 88, they changed the line markings to give priority to those going around the bend. I always go straight on at that junction, and its amazing how many people with the right of way give way to me.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Yeh, double lines, single lines, solid vs dotted, box junctions, roundabouts, Give Way signs, 'no stopping', 'no parking, etc etc. Thailand would save millions if they never put up another road sign and never painted road markings. Nothing would change. Driving 'same same'.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

If road markings and traffic signs were implemented properly and according to law, without made up ones, that might be a start. It's not unusual, for example, to have speed limits changing every 20 meters or so or even contradictory signs opposite each other to left and right of traffic lanes.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Well, it's similar to the whole emergency numbers thing. It ain't going to change. :wink:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

I agree with BB that 10,000 baht fines should be the normal fine or higher, and
take the vehicles of the repeat offenders, would also help them to see the light.
This 200 or 400 baht tea money is not making a single one of the offenders change
their ways. The police force has to change their attitudes and take this carnage
seriously as well.
Geezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I doubt that increased fines and frequency of fines will change anything. Most Thais don't seem to be capable of thinking or understanding anything outside of their little tight fitting shells. Yesterday I was attempting to explain that one couldn't deposit money in an ATM unless it was in front of a bank. Finally, in exasperation, after 9 attempts, I yelled are you stupid or what? The other person said, "Yes, I am stupid." Stopped, thought a minute and said, "Oh, you mean the ATM has to be at a bank?" I asked, "Why was it so difficult to understand that?" OP replied, "I didn't realize the ATM's were for making money." I gave up.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

in many countries the ticket and the fine is just the start of it. The following year your Insurance premium goes up and stays up for about 5 years, so the total cost is very high. BUT, that takes "Cause and Effect" thinking for that to be a deterrent and there is not much of that in the LOSS (Land of stupid smiles).
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'd agree with that, oakdale.
Not to mention the potential enforcement of a driving ban which would probably hurt a job whether that person is a salesperson, a big wig or growing rice. The economic effects of a ban can be huge - as long as it's enforced.
Not to mention the ignominy of it all.
But that last part is always the last to kick in.
buksida

Post by buksida »

New cameras quickly catch thousands of errant motorists

Traffic police on Wednesday put into service a new camera system to catch motorists who illegally change lanes at 15 locations in Bangkok - and about 7,500 violators were caught in less than 12 hours.

Pol Maj Gen Jirapat Phumjit, deputy commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, said the "Lane Change Camera System" was aimed at reducing accidents and relieving congestion near flyovers and underpasses.

The system was given a trial run last month, when it detected about 226,000 violators.

Put into full operation at 15 spots on Wednesday, from midnight to 11.30am it caught about 7,500 vehicles crossing solid lane lines, he said.

Pol Col Kitti Ariyanont, deputy commander of traffic police, said the high-definition cameras were capable of capturing pictures of vehicles and their plate numbers in all weather, around the clock.

Tickets would be sent to today's violators in a week and they could pay fines of up to 1,000 baht through Krungthai Bank, he said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... -motorists
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Everything good except the 'fine'. Small change and no deterrent.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

My ex who was living in the US at the time had a driving ban but was allowed to drive to go to work from 7am to 7pm mon to friday. She said she felt like Cinderella as she had to be home by 6.59pm. Chances of being caught VERY small but if she was a total ban for 10 years--OUCH