Speed limit for passenger vans proposed/minivans to be replaced

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: 90kph speed limit for passenger vans proposed

Post by HHTel »

Also didn't they bring in a 90 km speed limit for mini-buses a few years ago after many accidents. From memory, it lasted around a week before they all speeded up again. Of course this is normal here.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

The only way to improve safety on these mini vans is if to fit speed limiters and Digital tachograph. Speed and drivers hours are recorded by these all trucks and coaches are fitted with them in Europe.
Its not just speed thats the issue its the long hours some of these guys drive sometimes 20 hours a day.
For example we phoned a guy from our village near the Cam border that had a minivan its a ten hour drive to Hua Hin.
We wanted him just to collect a motorcycle and some personal effects. We phoned him at 9.00pm the next morning he was meeting us at 7.30Am he was on time and back in Kap Choeng by 6.00pm.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I think that what is being proposed is a speed limiter in the vehicle.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I guess that this is just another nee-jerk reaction. How are "micro buses", what ever they may be, going to stop the antics that we see on the road everyday?
.....................................................................................
Microbuses to replace passenger vans this year

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/transpo ... enger-vans

The Transport Ministry has ordered that all 6,400 interprovincial passenger vans operating out of Bangkok be replaced with microbuses by year-end to improve safety.

The 6,431 vans operating under concessions from the state-owned Transport Co would be phased out starting from July 1, Deputy Transport Minister Pichit Akrathit said on Friday.

"Although many people believe that microbuses are more expensive than vans, microbuses are safer, have a longer life and carry more passengers," he said. "Operational costs will drop. Vans have been abused for public transport."

Mr Phichit said there had been too many accidents involving passenger vans running between Bangkok and other provinces.
The replacement of vans running between other provinces would also start July 1 but would take longer because there were 2,771 vans on such routes, with lower frequencies and fewer accidents, he said.

To help operators, the government could extend their concession periods, have state-run banks offer loans for the purchase of microbuses, and facilitate sales of used vans, he added.

Pol Maj Gen Amnat An-atngam, acting director of Transport Co, said the 6,431 passenger vans included about 4,000 vans belonging to small operators, most of whom owned just one vehicle.

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said authorities had also asked the cabinet to consider banning the use of vans for public transport by 2019 for safety reasons.

Passenger van safety has been a concern of the public for years, and the issue was brought into sharp focus this week by a horrific pickup-van collision that killed 25 people in Chon Buri on Monday.

"The proposal has already reached the cabinet to end passenger vans in 2019 because their conditions are unsuitable for public transport," Mr Wissanu said.

The proposal came from the police and the road safety committee headed by Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon. Land Transport Department officials, police and others met on Thursday and agreed that vans were no longer suitable for public transport service, Mr Wissanu said.

Participants at the meeting said there were concerns about the improper use, condition and speed of vans and the quality of their drivers, he said.

Banning passenger vans would normally require lengthy legal amendments, so Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha could exercise his power under Section 44 of the interim constitution to speed up some necessary amendments, the deputy prime minister said.

More than 40,000 vans were registered for public transport last year.

According to a report by the World Health Organization, Thailand has the second-worst record in the world, surpassed only by Libya, for road fatalities in relation to population.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

BIG deal--the problem is never the absense of laws and rules but the absense of enforcement
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

How are "micro buses", what ever they may be, going to stop the antics that we see on the road everyday?
They are small buses very unlike the mini-vans. Same design as a 'big' bus and TV for passenger's entertainment. Have been operating in BKK for at least 20 years. Great improvement on the vans.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

Remember after last New Years road carnage, the authorities were going to stop the production of the Big Buses and faze out the uses of existing ones, never happened.
images.jpg
images.jpg (12.95 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
buksida

Post by buksida »

b_83064_9395.png
The above poster being shared on social media is designed to educate the public about minivans, specifically which ones not to use.

http://www.thaiemsinfo.com/autopagev4/s ... =7&TopicPk
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote:
How are "micro buses", what ever they may be, going to stop the antics that we see on the road everyday?
They are small buses very unlike the mini-vans. Same design as a 'big' bus and TV for passenger's entertainment. Have been operating in BKK for at least 20 years. Great improvement on the vans.
Yes, I know what the micro buses were in Bangkok, and the reputation they had before being banned. One of the first things I was told when I moved here in 1988 was: "do NOT ride on those micro buses". As a matter of fact my late wife's uncle was killed in one, and as he was guarantor for our house bank loan, image the consequences.

What is the point of replacing a van with those things? I suppose it could lead to more people on the one bus, so more potential to kill more in one hit, thus increasing the record! It is not the vehicle that is the problem, as we all know.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Didn't realise those 'micro-buses' had been banned. When I lived in BKK many years ago, I used them regularly between BKK central and Nongkaam. At the time I found them comfortable and efficient. Never realised they had a 'reputation'.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote:Didn't realise those 'micro-buses' had been banned. When I lived in BKK many years ago, I used them regularly between BKK central and Nongkaam. At the time I found them comfortable and efficient. Never realised they had a 'reputation'.
I was referring to the mongrel green coloured buses. I think the drivers were the fathers of most of the current drivers, as they were well know as aggressive idiots!
green bus.jpg
green bus.jpg (6.38 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
The small green buses should be avoided, but cost 2.5 baht. These have been called "the unloved buses" because they belch choking black pollution, the drivers are aggressive, and their routes are confusing and change often.

A private operator then tried the following, which may be what is being talked about. They went broke!
purple bus.jpg
purple bus.jpg (6.88 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
The purple MicroBus charges a flat rate of 25 baht regardless of distance, but stops only if there is an available seat, i.e., does not have standing people. No problem except during rush hour when they sometimes fill up and won't stop for more passengers. Air conditioned. Need exact fare, as no change is given back.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

So we're all on the same page, is the below a good representation of that they're talking about? If it is, it simply seems like a big van to me. :? Pete :cheers:

EDIT: The photo is labeled as "Izuzu micro-bus". Seems to be in use in Jakarta.
phpc6lUfrPM.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

...and here is the China version. I've seen these in use but city only.
China-microbus-ZK6608D-20-seater-bus-6m.jpg
China-microbus-ZK6608D-20-seater-bus-6m.jpg (49.33 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

They could use these, but I guarantee they would find a way to crash them, or set them on fire;

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/lea ... d-vehicles
army apc.jpg
army apc.jpg (50.35 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

prcscct wrote:So we're all on the same page, is the below a good representation of that they're talking about? If it is, it simply seems like a big van to me. :? Pete :cheers:

EDIT: The photo is labeled as "Izuzu micro-bus". Seems to be in use in Jakarta.

phpc6lUfrPM.jpg
Nothing like the micro-bus I know. As has been stated, they were purple and comfortable and efficient.