A bit of a predicament - a creature in the car

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

A bit of a predicament - a creature in the car

Post by Big Boy »

Something has got into my car overnight. I can hear it knocking about, but can't see anything. It's driving my dogs crazy.

My first thoughts were rats or mice, but my son's girlfriend is convinced it must be a snake.

I don't want to unnecessarily hurt anything, but I don't want a stowaway either. Any ideas how I can identify what the beast is please?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: A bit of a predicament

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:Something has got into my car overnight. I can hear it knocking about, but can't see anything. It's driving my dogs crazy.

My first thoughts were rats or mice, but my son's girlfriend is convinced it must be a snake.

I don't want to unnecessarily hurt anything, but I don't want a stowaway either. Any ideas how I can identify what the beast is please?
Turn your dash cam to record inside the cab and hopefully it will record it moving about
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Do you hear it in the cab, or in the engine compartment? If the engine compartment just start the engine until whatever it is comes out, or expires, from the heat. It will come out unless it went in there to die in the first place.

EDIT: I don't think a snake is going to knock about anywhere unless it swallowed something and is stuck. It's not their nature.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Geko
Professional
Professional

Re: A bit of a predicament - a creature in the car

Post by Geko »

If you have a air intake on the bonnet (Toyota Fortuna style) check inside it, we had a bird nesting inside ours last year, unbelievably we drove around a fair few miles with the bird inside before we returned home and I washed the car and found the nest.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The noise is coming from beneath the rear bucket of the pickup. When I first heard it, I thought it was coming from the bucket.

DB, you've given me an idea. I've got something similar to a selfie stick for my Go Pro. I can have a mooch about under the car, whilst watching from the safety of my tablet. If it's a snake, it must be something nasty (cobras have not survived) to get past my dogs alive. The dogs went crazy about 4am this morning, so that's when the stowaway got in.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

More likely a squirrel. Snakes and rats do not make enough noise to be heard. I guess by "bucket" you mean the rear tub or cargo area?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, that's the area.

UPDATE:

I took the car for a run around the block in the hope the beastie would get off. Haven't heard him since.

I checked under the car with the Go Pro - Mrs BB operating the stick, and me observing from a safe distance on the tablet - nothing untoward under the car.

One funny thing though, Mrs BB, who fears snakes, was operating the stick, being watched closely by the 3 dogs. Then our rottweiler's tail brushed her face - what a scream. Definitely a clean underwear moment methinks :laugh:

Points 48; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Had a similar problem, recurring, creature in the car. Now I stopped telling Mrs m when I go someplace!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:Mrs BB operating the stick, and me observing from a safe distance on the tablet -
Glad to see that you have the priorities correct! :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Oh yes :D

Points 48; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It reminds me of when I was working in Jakarta many years ago, we were driving home from work discussing how the fan belt seemed to be slipping because it was making a noise like a cat, then I drove over a speed bump and a cat appeared in the rear view mirror at the same time as the fan belt fixed itsel!
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Some say that naphthalene works as a snake repellant. Maybe put some under your car and the snake, or whatever creature it is, will find the environment hostile and move on.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Our dogs are usually repellent enough, but I guess whatever it was caught them all napping, or it was extremely quick. Very unusual, because at least one of them is on patrol 24/7, and soon alert the other 2.

Anyway, whatever it was, has not returned :D

Points 48; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Hopefully it's gone and won't return, whatever it was - almost certainly not a snake though, I've seen plenty in our garden, but never heard one, and even if it was inside your truck, it would likely still move in silent mode.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

one time I had my normal service for my Honda Jazz at the dealer. They called me to the car to show me a lizard that had gotten stuck in the fan and caused it to destroy the fan moter. Lizard was preserved between the blades and plastic housing around it--DEAD.