Riding a motorcycle on an International Driving Permit

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
buksida

Riding a motorcycle on an International Driving Permit

Post by buksida »

Does anyone know if you can ride a motorbike in the UK and Europe on an IDP issued in Thailand?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Riding a motorcycle on an International Driving Permit

Post by StevePIraq »

You can drive any small vehicle (eg car or motorcycle) listed on your full and valid licence for 12 months from when you last entered Great Britain (GB)

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yeah, read that one, was thinking of something a little bigger than a 125!

I have a UK car license but wondered if you could get an IDP motorcycle license based on a Thai motorcycle license.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I think it is possible with L Plates up to 250CC, why not send an email to the DVLC
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You don't even need an IDP. The UK recognises a Thai driving licence. A car licence will only allow you to drive small bikes. However, with a Thai motorcycle licence you will have no problem.
Holders of a British or foreign car driving licence can ride a motorcycle of up to 125cc in the UK without obtaining a special licence. For motorcycles over 125cc, you must have a motorcycle licence.
buksida

Post by buksida »

So I can get insurance in the UK on a big bike using a Thai motorcycle license passed on a scooter? Really?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Insurance is a separate issue and at the discretion of the insurance company. I was just stating the legal requirement.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I think one problem you may face is the Thai motorcycle license does not specify a capacity and in the UK it must
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The rules only state that it is a motorcycle licence, it is in English and carries your photograph. No mention of engine size.

Except that 125 and below can be ridden using a car licence.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Yes the Thai bike license is for all capacities of bike, as such it is equivalent of UK category A, which is the highest motorbike category in the UK. The problem that may be encountered in the UK is the Thai license does not show any category so it may be an issue with UK police.
buksida

Post by buksida »

StevePIraq wrote:Yes the Thai bike license is for all capacities of bike, as such it is equivalent of UK category A, which is the highest motorbike category in the UK.
Are you sure on that? I have category A on my UK license but have never taken a motorbike test there.
ukdl.jpg
ukdl.jpg (116.61 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories
Motorcycles
Category A1

You can drive light motorbikes with:

an engine size up to 125cc
a power output of up to 11kW
a power to weight ratio not more than 0.1kW/kg
This category also includes motor tricycles with power output up to 15kW.

Category A2

You can drive motorbikes with a:

power output up to 35kW
power to weight ratio not more than 0.2kW/kg
The motorbike must also not be derived from a vehicle of more than double its power.

You can also drive motorbikes in category A1.

Category A

You can drive:

motorbikes with a power output more than 35kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0.2kW/kg
motor tricycles with a power output more than 15kW
You can also drive motorbikes in categories A1 and A2.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Damn ... just looked up the 'codes' and it seems like I cant ride anything but a moped there without doing CBT ...
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

It is indeed very strange, I have a UK license with A, B, BE, B1, C1, C1E, D1, D1E fklnp but I have only taken a test on a motorbike and in a car.
And yes there is only one license for motorbikes in Thailand and it covers all capacities, I have previously had an 1100cc bike and stopped by the police who checked the license and no problem.
UK A is unlimited capacity so you can drive a 50cc or 1500cc bike.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

StevePIraq wrote:UK A is unlimited capacity so you can drive a 50cc or 1500cc bike.
And capacities >1500cc? You need to sit an additional test?
:cheers:
GN.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

No, once you have a full UK bike license it is unlimited capacity