Drivers in Hua Hin

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Drivers in Hua Hin

Post by Stargeezer »

I have been in Hua Hin for 3 weeks of the 2 months I have been in country.
Compared with drivers in Bangkok, I have found that 99 percent of the Hua Hkn drivers seem to
have mlre patience, and try to cooperate with the other drivers. There are lots of moterbikes
in Hua Hin so I try to drive amonst them to avoid getting runover by the large vehicles.
Most drivers observe the green and red lights and I have not seen too many people run
the lights the way I saw them do in Bangkok. Just my observations on this trip to
Thailand
Geezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
albaker

Re: Drivers in Hua Hin

Post by albaker »

Is this a serious report or a p1ss take ?
Observing traffic lights from what I have observed most drivers take any colour as a go sign any where in Thailand
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

in every country stop lights engender different responses. in isreal, when the light turns green it's a signal for drivers to start blowing their horns to encourage the cars in front of them to start moving. in defuniak springs, florida, everyone stops at the red light and waits for it to turn green before proceeding. no problem, dude. in thailand people wait until they are at the turn to signal that they are going to turn because they don't want to wear out the indicators.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

in thailand people wait until they are at the turn to signal that they are going to turn because they don't want to wear out the indicators.
Wots an "indicator"? Is that something only Farang cars have? :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Nereus wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:29 pmWots an "indicator"? Is that something only Farang cars have? :?
It's a special design for Thai bikes that means the indicator stays on one side or the other irrespective of whether they are planning to turn or not. It's also a toy for Kids sitting in the front.
Talk is cheap
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Flashing warning lights also can have many meanings.

On a truck or pickup warning lights indicate that the rear bulbs are blown and I can't be ars*d to change them

On a new car they simply say look at me I'm important... look at my red number plates but stay your distance.

On a passenger van they indicate that the driver thinks he is important and you had best let me through

On a weekend the warning lights simply mean I'm from Bangkok, I'm selfish and I can park where the hell I like... go around me

There must be others.....
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Stargeezer wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:23 pm Most drivers observe the green and red lights and I have not seen too many people run
the lights the way I saw them do in Bangkok.
Take a trip to Bangkok Hospital, and observe for 10 minutes. I think you might change your mind. Of course, don't bother when there's a lot of traffic such as weekends because the lights are set to permanent flashing amber.

Better still, take a trip to Bluport where they pay security guards to wave you through, while the lights are still red.

[Edit] .................. and don't get me started on the wait for green light before turning left signs :cuss:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

it all goes back to that children's milk drinking game: red light, green light. Asians, in general, have an intolerance, to lactose so very few of them played that game, hence, never learned the meaning of red light, green light.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I am currently working in the UAE but this goes for most of the Gulf region - you get about 2 nano seconds from the light changing to green and if you haven't hit the gas by then, get ready for the blare of the horns. As for indicators, I doubt that 1 in 10 drivers use them - other than when it's foggy and then they will use the hazard warning lights so you have no idea if/when they want to turn left or right. As for speeding, lane dodging (you can find six lane highways out here) and driving up your rear, it beats Thailand hands down, so by contrast, driving in Hua Hin isn't so bad.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

One of the common politically incorrect jokes when I lived in Saudi Arabia was:

What's the definition of a nanosecond?

It's the time it takes for an Arab to get his finger out of his nose and onto the car horn when the light turns green... :oops: :P
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:04 pm Better still, take a trip to Bluport where they pay security guards to wave you through, while the lights are still red.
Agree 'Big Boy' have seen this happen many times, it's an accident waiting to happen.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I always refuse to pass a red light in spite of security waving me through. He gets quite animated when I don't follow his instruction!
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

What about the Zebra Crossing..
I never figured out if you are allowed to hit pedestrians if they are on the white stripe or the
black stripe.. :laugh:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Zebra crossings are only there for the convenience of the ambulance drivers. It makes it easier for them to find the casualties!
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain