Cars with dashcams get 5-10% discount

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Cars with dashcams get 5-10% discount

Post by Nereus »

Cars with dashcams get 5-10% premiums discount

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/new ... s-discount

Regulators have told insurers to give a 5-10% discount on net auto insurance premiums for vehicles equipped with closed-circuit TV cameras, including dashboard cameras.

Suthiphon Thaveechaiyagarn, secretary-general of the Office of Insurance Commission (OIC), signed the order on Friday, according to Thai media.

The rule applies to all types of vehicles.

Customers eligible for the discount must provide photos of the installed cameras in their vehicles as proof when entering into contracts or renew insurance policies. They must also keep the equipment in place throughout the insured period.

The move aims to promote the equipment use to help provide evidence in cases of accidents and to improve traffic discipline.

Dashboard cameras have been popular over the past few years as their prices have been increasingly affordable and their features enhanced. Footage has been used widely, especially in social media.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Cars with dashcams get 5-10% discount

Post by Nereus »

Dashcam discounts 'not an option'

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -an-option

Regulators have stressed all insurance companies must give motorists discounts of 5-10% on auto insurance premiums for all vehicles equipped with closed-circuit TV systems (CCTVs) or be fined.

The move followed consumer complaints that some companies had refused to do so.

Suthiphon Thaveechaiyagarn, secretary-general of the Office of Insurance Commission (OIC), confirmed on Saturday vehicles with dashboard cameras also qualified for the privilege, not just those with CCTV systems, so long as they could record video clips.

"However, other devices modified to work as dashcams are not," he said.
He was probably referring to mobile phone apps that turn a mobile phone into a dashcam.

Mr Suthiphon added motorists did not need to register the installation of such cameras with the Land Transport Department as claimed by some insurers.
Any insurer failing to comply with the order will face a fine up to 300,000 baht, he said, adding motorists could report them through the OIC's 1186 call centre.

The OIC, by Mr Suthiphon, signed the order requiring auto insurance companies give the insured the discounts on March 10 this year.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Has anyone been in touch with insurance brokers to confirm this and perhaps clarify the position?
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Dash Cam Can Really Save You Cash Cam

Post by Nereus »

Dash cams cut premiums

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... t-premiums

An order forcing insurers to give a 5-10% discount on net auto insurance premiums for vehicles equipped with dash cam TV cameras has become effective.

The order, signed by Suthiphon Thaveechaiyagarn, secretary-general of the Office of Insurance Commission, was published in the Royal Gazette on Friday with immediate effect.

According to the order, insurance companies are required to reduce auto insurance premiums by 5-10% for customers who present photographic evidence of dash cam installation in the front of their cars. Car owners are also required to ensure the cameras are functional during the period of insurance coverage.

The rule applies to all types of vehicles.
The cameras are deemed a useful tool that will help reduce disputes after road accidents.

opps: I did look for this before posting: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=34177

Mods can you please move it?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Has anybody had this applied to their insurance when renewing?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Yesterday, Bangkok Insurance had no problem. Just filled in a form with simple details of cam and they took a photo of it in the car. 5% discount.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

My insurance is up for my truck at the end of October, so shall visit the insurer (Tokyo Marine) in a couple weeks. I will obviously raise this point with them and report back to this thread with their final decision.

Seems though, that the insurers are not 'over the moon' about this directive...despite it making sense.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The Gov came out with the "5-10% discount" language, so of course seeing that the public has also read that, the insurance companies give the minimum 5%. Perhaps some companies who want to compete and gain market share will increase it above 5%, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

When I renewed with AA Insurance a couple of weeks ago, this was certainly taken into consideration, and a young lady had to take photos of my cameras working in my car. The photos also had to include dashcam manufacturer's logo on the camera. The other strange question was how much the camera had cost.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

I renewed with AXA through AA Insurance.

Photos inside and out along with a signed AXA disclaimer form gave me 6% I think.

The dash cam will pay for itself over 2 years providing the benefit is offered next time round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Just renewed my truck insurance and as per others posts, a guy came round, photographed outside and in with particular reference to the camera(s). Did get a knowing chuckle when I told him the separate cam was rotatable so that it could focus on potential extortionists at the driver or passenger window. Discount duly obtained.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:31 pm The other strange question was how much the camera had cost.
Just renewed 5 days ago and a same question. Also Make,model and if I had a purchase receipt. Had to complete a form with these details and sign it. Also required me to photograph the camera in the car operating with the pic including the vehicle registration plate and send it to Bangkok. (Did have some challenges as the vehicle is an SUV with tint on the rear screen, 3 attempts before they were satisfied) End result 5% discount.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

A little off topic but I also run a rear camera mainly to cover potential issues particularly regarding motorcycles overtaking whilst the vehicle is making a turn.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

LMG insurance quoted me for my car insurance, I squeezed them down which they accepted, then I told them I have a dashcam. They said 'that's included in the quote already' I pointed out they didn't know I had a dashcam because I hadn't told them, their barefaced reply: 'we give the discount to all drivers whether they have the camera or not'.

Con job or course, I had obviously just reached the lowest quote they were prepared to give, but I don't think the authorities would be too happy about that, it hardly encourages drivers to get one installed!