New drivers must take longer theory training

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: New drivers must take longer theory training

Post by Dannie Boy »

VincentD wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:25 am Don't have to worry about this any more, got a 'for life' licence..
the obvious question - how?
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

VincentD mentions the behaviour of bikers on big bikes which is not so different from that exhibited by the convoys of big buses that I recently saw on the expressway in Bangkok. The main difference is that in an accident the biker always loses whoever is at fault and bikers are referred to as 'organ donors' by many in the emergency services for good reason. Perhaps by drawing attention to thereselves they will be noticed and increase their survival chances.
Big bikes are not all 'Grey Imports' and with manufacturers like Ducati, Kawasaki, Honda and, of course Harley Davidson having outlets here they are fully supported and although expensive are no different to other registered road vehicles.
The answer to most of the peeves is, as usual, the total lack of enforcement.
It is good that those n power are trying to do something but education of new drivers will not affect the unregistered, unlicenced and unfit vehicles of however many wheels on Thai roads.
Like most, I would love to see things improve but don't think there is much chance of this occurring in the near future.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:53 am
VincentD wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:25 am Don't have to worry about this any more, got a 'for life' licence..
the obvious question - how?
Back in the day, if you had a long-stay visa (I had PR) you could get them, once you passed a year or so on the initial one-year licence. It was later amended to a five-year period, I guess from a revenue standpoint. The conversion to 'for life' licence at the time was 1000 baht one-time payment.
Note that Singapore followed suit and had a 'for life' licence where before it was a yearly renewal.
วินเชนท์