All car passengers now required to buckle up

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -buckle-up

All passengers in a car are now required to fasten their seat belts under amendments to some sections of the Land Traffic Act made by an order of National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) chairman Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha.

The NCPO's Order 14/2560, issued under Section 44 of the interim charter, was published in the Royal Gazette on March 21. It imposes additional legal measures for the people's safety.

The amendments were made to Sections 55, 123 and 141 of the Land Traffic Act.

According to the announcement:

Section 55 was amended to empower traffic police officers or persons authorised by them to remove a vehicle which has been parked in violation of the Land Traffic Act or use some devices to lock it up to prevent it from being removed.

The driver or owner of the vehicle is required to pay the removal or lock up cost, and for the upkeeping of it while in the care of the traffic police.

Section 123 was amended to require the drivers of vehicles to fasten their seat belts and make sure all passengers buckle up as well.

The amendment to Section 141 empowers traffic law enforcement officials to notify the driver or owner of a vehicle who has been issued a ticket for violating the law to pay the fine within 15 days.

If the driver or owner of the vehicle does not pay the fine in time, the traffic police must send a letter advising the vehicle registrar to order the violator to pay the fine within 30 days.

If the driver or owner of the vehicle still does not pay the fine, a case will be filed with a court and the vehicle registrar will not extend the vehicle's annual registration until the payment is made.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: All car passengers now required to buckle up

Post by oakdale160 »

yes and to stop at red lights and m/bike riders to wear a helmet--its not lack of rules that is the problem--its lack of ENFORCEMENT.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I agree with the seatbelt law forcing passengers both front and back to 'buckle up'. However, unlike the law in the UK, the onus is being put on the driver who would be penalised for a passenger not wearing a seat belt.

This is deemed as a law 'for your safety'. So when will they take care of the 'safety' of the twenty or so people stood like sardines in the back of a pickup?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

oakdale160 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:29 am yes and to stop at red lights and m/bike riders to wear a helmet--its not lack of rules that is the problem--its lack of ENFORCEMENT.
Hear! hear!
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Bristolian wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:25 am http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -buckle-up

All passengers in a car are now required to fasten their seat belts under amendments to some sections of the Land Traffic Act made by an order of National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) chairman Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha.

The NCPO's Order 14/2560, issued under Section 44 of the interim charter, was published in the Royal Gazette on March 21. It imposes additional legal measures for the people's safety.

The amendments were made to Sections 55, 123 and 141 of the Land Traffic Act.

According to the announcement:

Section 55 was amended to empower traffic police officers or persons authorised by them to remove a vehicle which has been parked in violation of the Land Traffic Act or use some devices to lock it up to prevent it from being removed.

The driver or owner of the vehicle is required to pay the removal or lock up cost, and for the upkeeping of it while in the care of the traffic police.

Section 123 was amended to require the drivers of vehicles to fasten their seat belts and make sure all passengers buckle up as well.

The amendment to Section 141 empowers traffic law enforcement officials to notify the driver or owner of a vehicle who has been issued a ticket for violating the law to pay the fine within 15 days.

If the driver or owner of the vehicle does not pay the fine in time, the traffic police must send a letter advising the vehicle registrar to order the violator to pay the fine within 30 days.

If the driver or owner of the vehicle still does not pay the fine, a case will be filed with a court and the vehicle registrar will not extend the vehicle's annual registration until the payment is made.
This is going to be interesting with most passenger vehicles rated for 5 occupants in seat belts. Not sure how the 17 or so you see jammed in the back of the pickups are going to fare though!
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's like everything else here. Responsible people have been insisting passengers all buckle up for a long time now. Others will simply ignore it, or won't even have read/heard about the new law. Enforcement will be hit and miss just like the no cell phone talking law that's been around for years but ignored by many. The biggest opportunity for the MIB will be at tollway gates where they can get a look into the vehicle. I would expect to see a bigger force of them in places like that, at least for a month or two. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've been stopped several times over the years, where the only thing the BIB are looking for is wearing of seat belts (in the front until now). I'm sure they will continue to stop and search.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Yeh, I've also been stopped several times over the years to check seatbelts. The one time I wasn't wearing one was near the railway station. I did argue the toss a little pointing out that whilst talking to me, many cars were driving by unchallenged who were not wearing belts. I said I'll pay when I see them stop the next car without belts on. I stood with them on the road and pointed at a vehicle that didn't have their belts on. They stopped it as promised. Hey, it was a police car! They told me to clear off - no ticket!!
I felt good. 99.9% of the time, I have my belt on and secured.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:lach:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If you don't wear your harness belt in the front the buzzer, bell or some other obnoxious noise will drive you nuts! If I recall it only used to alarm for the driver seat. Now, both or our cars alarm for both front seats, but no alarm for the back rows. In daylight it's quite easy to see through the windscreen of an oncoming vehicle if front seat people are wearing their harness. Not so easy to see through side windows with the dark tinting. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I always remember in the UK, the seatbelt alarm sounded based on a person in the seat. If I was to put the shopping on the front passenger seat, then I had to put the belt on to stop the annoying alarm!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Back in the day.. Late 70's.. Used to drive an old Volvo 144 that had these alarms for both driver and front passenger seats.. Being the curious bugger I am, I poked around and found a little microswitch under the seat that would activate this.
Also, the other switches on the dashboard were pneumatically operated - you'd hear a bit of a hiss when pressing them..
วินเชนท์
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

HHTel wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:44 pm I always remember in the UK, the seatbelt alarm sounded based on a person in the seat. If I was to put the shopping on the front passenger seat, then I had to put the belt on to stop the annoying alarm!
All the cars that we use in my job at an airport obviously have these alarms for seat belts. Because we only drive around at slow speed, we just fasten the seat belts and sit on them.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, it all makes sense. The "need to buckle" sensor is in the seat and activated by weight. The "is buckled" sensor is in the female part of the buckle apparatus. I think you accomplish the same result by cutting off the male buckle portion from an old belt and simply leaving it inserted. I've never tried that to see if other things are in play as well to prevent that from working, such as the need for the belt to be extended from it's roller device located in the wall trim? Pete :cheers:
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

HHTel wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:44 pm I always remember in the UK, the seatbelt alarm sounded based on a person in the seat. If I was to put the shopping on the front passenger seat, then I had to put the belt on to stop the annoying alarm!
Always know when the dog has put on weight, seat belt alarm gets triggered! :D
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-