Songkran Vehicle Accidents 2017

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

Songkran Vehicle Accidents 2017

Post by PeteC »

phppeKTk6AM.jpg
....."As usual, most of the accidents, 77.80%, involved motorcycles."....

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... erous-days
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Geko
Professional
Professional

Re: Songkran Vehicle Accidents 2017

Post by Geko »

Past Year's
songkran-casualties.jpg
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Good chart above. :thumb: The colour version through yesterday hasn't been published yet but some major cause figures to date have been per below:

Drink-driving 42.32%,

Speeding 30.38%

Motorcycle accidents as percentage of total 84.16%.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... umps-to-82
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

php9f8SFLAM.jpg
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

phpRPICi9AM.jpg
Drink-driving: 48.80%,

Speeding: 27.54%

Motorcycle accidents as percentage of total: (No data today)

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... wn-on-2016
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ The Nation this morning indicated Motorcycle accidents as percentage of total was 80.20% for the 13th.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

^ I can believe that. Songkran seems to encourage many Thais out onto the road on their bikes for the sole purpose of running the water gauntlet on 2 wheels. I've published this video elsewhere, but it demonstrates the vastly overcrowded bike population, with a very small percentage wearing helmets (I would guess less than 2% in the video). The stretch of road I had to dice with motorcycle hell was about 400 yards, and the video doesn't depict the worst of the 400 yards. I only switch the camera on after being hit.

However, everybody was having fun, and danger aside, it was lovely to see. The video was taken about 1pm. A few hours later, drink would have been a deadly factor as well.

I was hit by a motorcycle for the 4th time in the last 3 Songkrans. Speed was not a factor on such congested roads, so no injury was sustained, but it is easy to understand the dangers. So many bikes in such close proximity, with people shooting water at them. A crazy, but enjoyable kind of fun.

Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Today's installment.

Drink-driving: 44.10%,

Speeding: 27.40%

Motorcycle accidents as percentage of total: 84.40%

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... eaches-226

phps6DGs9AM.jpg
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

When the national daily average is close to 80 per day, the fact that on the 13th it hit the daily average and all other days were well below means that this isn't the '7 dangerous days' and should be renamed the '7 safest days'!!!
That's if these figures are to be believed.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I totally agree, HHTel. I wonder if the national average takes into account those that die a day/week/month or so after an accident. The above figures are probably those that died at the scene of the accident.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

average 56 deaths 610 injured
How does this compare with other days in the year?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

See my post above. According to some stats, almost 80 a day throughout the year!
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

I'm sure that there will be a lot of back slapping, within government circles, for a job well done! Far be it for me to pi** on their celebration but the numbers are still horrific and as VS rightly questioned, how many of those injured finally succumbed after they were taken from the scene of the accident?

The enforcement of current traffic laws is a joke, as everyone knows, but hey let's continue with the slaps on the back for a job well done!
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Whilst talking about police enforcement (and a little off topic :oops: ), I saw a brilliant piece of 'Thai' policing today.

I was stopped at the Tessebahn traffic lights heading South. A police officer was busy scolding a Farang motorcyclist, who seemed to have everything in order. As he let the Farang go, he jumped on his motorcycle, rode in front of my waiting traffic queue and integrated into the traffic flow travelling North. A real example of pot calling the kettle.

Of course, I've got the video from my dash cam, but wouldn't publish it, as action could be taken against him if it were seen by the wrong people. I wouldn't do that to anybody - it's what Thais do with motorcycles, but I found it hilarious. We are being policed by criminals - what hope do honest drivers/riders have? :D

:offtopic:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Drink-driving: 45.00%,

Speeding: 25.00%

Motorcycle accidents as percentage of total: (no data yet)

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... lls-by-18-
phpXseoDKPM.jpg